NHL/NBA playoffs 2018 thread

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I gotta say, I didn't think there was a chance in hell LeBron would go to the Western Conference and give up his automatic free pass to the NBA Finals every year. Ballsy move on his part.

Now we have to see who goes there to team up with him. Maybe the Thunder will buy out Melo; he and LeBron are very good friends and played together well on Team USA.

The Nuggets took care of business and re-signed Jokic to a max deal and also locked up Barton. So their starting 5 will be:
PG: Jamal Murray
SG: Gary Harris
C: Nikola Jokic
PF: Paul Millsap
SF: Will Barton

Considering Millsap only played 38/82 games last year and the Nuggets only missed the playoffs by one game, I'd say they should be a playoff team next year. Jokic and Harris keep taking big leaps year to year; if they take another one this year, the Nuggets will be tough.

Still don't think anyone will beat the Warriors, though.

I think this gives the Spurs massive bargaining power to get anything they want in exchange for Kawhi, short of Lebron. 2 first round picks? Kuzma? Sky’s the limit.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I think this gives the Spurs massive bargaining power to get anything they want in exchange for Kawhi, short of Lebron. 2 first round picks? Kuzma? Sky’s the limit.

Pop HATES the Lakers from way back. I find it highly unlikely they'll send Kawhi there unless they can completely fleece the Lakers. If they trade him, I think it'll be to the Eastern Conference (Philly/Boston) or just let him rot for another year and then he can go wherever he wants in free agency.

LadyVamp

Camel Slug
Red Wings resigning Vanek, why do they do this shit to me.

Bernier, ehhhh, I guess I am okay with that one, he was not terrible on the Avs, sucked some D in Toronto. We needed some cushion behind Howard. Green resign, okay, just show up this year.....

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

Apparently they told LA they don't want Lonzo, so the proposed offer would be something like: Kuzma, Ingram, Josh Hart, and two or three future first-rounders, but since it's unlikely that the Lakers' picks will be before the mid or late 20's now, LA is trying to trade for one of Denver's future first-round picks to add to the package. Denver would trade a pick and some combination of the three bad contracts they've been trying to get rid of- Faried, Chandler, or Darrell Arthur. Lakers may not bite on the Spurs' demands since LeBron actually signed long(er) term and they can just sit tight a year and then sign Leonard as a FA.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
If the Nuggets can dump off one or more of Chandler, Faried, or Arthur it'd be amazing.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Apparently they told LA they don't want Lonzo, so the proposed offer would be something like: Kuzma, Ingram, Josh Hart, and two or three future first-rounders, but since it's unlikely that the Lakers' picks will be before the mid or late 20's now, LA is trying to trade for one of Denver's future first-round picks to add to the package. Denver would trade a pick and some combination of the three bad contracts they've been trying to get rid of- Faried, Chandler, or Darrell Arthur. Lakers may not bite on the Spurs' demands since LeBron actually signed long(er) term and they can just sit tight a year and then sign Leonard as a FA.
Justfacts

But I still think they will make a move.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Lakers get Rajon Rondo, JaVale McGee, and Lance Stephenson

Warriors replace McGee with fucking DeMarcus Cousins

Nerlens Noel to the Thunder

Julius Randle to the Pelicans

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
So does this mean all Cavs fans will be Lakers fans now?

No. Real Clevelanders support 0-16 Browns, shitty 80s Indians teams, and 2010-2014 Cavs teams. A caller on 92.3 The Fan today was so happy (crazy?) that James left he bought Cavs season tickets for the first time in his life.

We are used to seeing one of our teams only winning a championship maybe once in a lifetime.

Last edited:

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate

If Cousins successfully returns from his achilles injury by early Jan. , I think the Warriors will have enough time to work out the kinks, and win another championship. Boston should be good when they get Kyrie and Gordon H. back.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The Warriors were gonna win again even without Cousins. Nobody in the east can touch them and the Rockets are getting worse, not better.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Lakers are taking on a lot of washed up garbage.

Lebron may want to have a talk with the front office.

famicommander

15 Year Member
At this point you could make a roster out of the 15 best players in the Eastern Conference and the Warriors would beat their asses

100proof

10 Year Member
At this point you could make a roster out of the 15 best players in the Eastern Conference and the Warriors would beat their asses

Interesting thought experiment:

PG - Kyrie / some combination of Wall, Lowry and Simmons
SG - Beal / Oladipo / DeRozan
SF - Tatum / Hayward (if he's back to 100%) / Middleton/Porter Jr. (?) (East is thin as shit at SF)
PF - Giannis / Horford / Love/Griffin (?)
C - Embiid / Porzingis / Drummond

Assuming this team had a chance to gel over the course of a season, the Warriors wouldn't beat their asses but I would definitely take the Dubs in 7. Still ridiculous that you can even entertain that conversation.

But that's the way the NBA has always been. The Celtics won 11 out of 13 championships during Bill Russell's time. The 80s were dominated by 3 teams (Lakers, Celtics, Sixers). The 90s was one year of the Pistons and then Jordan for pretty much 8 years straight (minus the baseball hiatus). The 00s were mostly the Lakers and Spurs. The 10s are going to be LeBron and the Warriors.

Other teams sneak in here and there (either thru transitional periods between superstars or a sequence of lucky circumstances) but the NBA has always been about dynasties. Sustained greatness has always been easier in basketball than the other team sports simply because a single great player has so much more impact on both sides of the ball than in football (QB can't play defense or pass the ball to himself), baseball (pitchers don't hit, hitters don't pitch) or hockey (a transcendent player can't win the Stanley Cup without a great/hot goalie).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Interesting thought experiment:

PG - Kyrie / some combination of Wall, Lowry and Simmons
SG - Beal / Oladipo / DeRozan
SF - Tatum / Hayward (if he's back to 100%) / Middleton/Porter Jr. (?) (East is thin as shit at SF)
PF - Giannis / Horford / Love/Griffin (?)
C - Embiid / Porzingis / Drummond

Assuming this team had a chance to gel over the course of a season, the Warriors wouldn't beat their asses but I would definitely take the Dubs in 7. Still ridiculous that you can even entertain that conversation.

But that's the way the NBA has always been. The Celtics won 11 out of 13 championships during Bill Russell's time. The 80s were dominated by 3 teams (Lakers, Celtics, Sixers). The 90s was one year of the Pistons and then Jordan for pretty much 8 years straight (minus the baseball hiatus). The 00s were mostly the Lakers and Spurs. The 10s are going to be LeBron and the Warriors.

Other teams sneak in here and there (either thru transitional periods between superstars or a sequence of lucky circumstances) but the NBA has always been about dynasties. Sustained greatness has always been easier in basketball than the other team sports simply because a single great player has so much more impact on both sides of the ball than in football (QB can't play defense or pass the ball to himself), baseball (pitchers don't hit, hitters don't pitch) or hockey (a transcendent player can't win the Stanley Cup without a great/hot goalie).

Giannis and Embiid are better at the 4 and 5 than anything the Warriors have in those positions - including new guy Cousins, who has proven mental problems.

The warriors make their game off three pointers and transition baskets. It's hard to defend against because they're so accurate. Even Cupcake Durant is just a shooter. That said, I think a combination of Wall and Oladipo may have the defensive skills to give the Warriors perimeter issues. The problem is that you would then be stuck with interior shooting and post up baskets. Chances are good that the Warriors would still be able to pull away if they create separation from Wall and Oladipo from deep.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You're underselling how effective Green and Igoudala are away from the ball on offense and especially how good they are on defense.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Red Wings resigning Vanek, why do they do this shit to me.

Bernier, ehhhh, I guess I am okay with that one, he was not terrible on the Avs, sucked some D in Toronto. We needed some cushion behind Howard. Green resign, okay, just show up this year.....

Because Ken Holland should have been booted to the curb in favor of Yzerman without a 2nd thought.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I don't understand what the hell the Lakers are doing at the moment. Lebron needs good shooters around him to be effective and space the floor. Who is going to be putting up the points?

100proof

10 Year Member
You're underselling how effective Green and Igoudala are away from the ball on offense and especially how good they are on defense.

Draymond is one of the best low-post defenders in the league. Iggy has been a great defender but will be 35 next year. Not underselling them. I'm just saying when you have an all-star and potential hall-of-famer at EVERY POSITION on the other side of the ball (most of whom are younger than Draymond and all of whom are younger than Iggy), what would otherwise be an obvious advantage is somewhat nullified.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Defense is the last thing to go for an old player. If Igoudala can still slow down LeBron he can disupt anyone left in the east smaller than a center.

100proof

10 Year Member
Defense is the last thing to go for an old player. If Igoudala can still slow down LeBron he can disupt anyone left in the east smaller than a center.

None of that changes who's on the other side of the ball though. Having to guard Giannis with essentially no help (since no can leave their man against this team) for seven games is a Herculean task for anyone, much less a 35-year-old coming off a knee injury.

I still think the Warriors would win. Acting like it would be a walkover is stupid. A Rockets team that started Trevor Ariza and PJ Tucker all year had a Game 7 on their home floor against this team. If you think a team that replaces those two with Giannis and Joel Embiid and has WAYYYY better players 6-13 can't do just as well, you're just being stubborn.

famicommander

15 Year Member
None of that changes who's on the other side of the ball though. Having to guard Giannis with essentially no help (since no can leave their man against this team) for seven games is a Herculean task for anyone, much less a 35-year-old coming off a knee injury.

I still think the Warriors would win. Acting like it would be a walkover is stupid. A Rockets team that started Trevor Ariza and PJ Tucker all year had a Game 7 on their home floor against this team. If you think a team that replaces those two with Giannis and Joel Embiid and has WAYYYY better players 6-13 can't do just as well, you're just being stubborn.

There's nobody in the East as good as James Harden. Nobody.

And that series is over in 5 if everyone is healthy for both teams.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Giannis is one of the best players to watch, period. I like Embiid a lot but I am not confident about his durability. Lebron should have signed with the Sixers. How is going to navigate through so many washed up scrubs and neverbeens with the current Lakers team?

famicommander

15 Year Member
I think this is a stall year for the Lakers, honestly. They signed Caldwell-Pope, Rondo, Stephenson, and McGee to one year deals. They're going to clear a lot of cap space at the end of the season. They failed to land George or Cousins, so they are either going to try to swing a trade for Leonard or wait it out and sign him straight up at the end of the year.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Giannis is one of the best players to watch, period. I like Embiid a lot but I am not confident about his durability. Lebron should have signed with the Sixers. How is going to navigate through so many washed up scrubs and neverbeens with the current Lakers team?

He won't. Playing for the Lakers is kind of a can't lose deal: if the team is mediocre, as it appears it will be, people will say hey, the roster wasn't good, and at least he tried to pick up a bad team instead of pulling a Durant. If they do win, all the better. Playing for LA lets him still (mostly) chase MJ and also build his other empire(s) most efficiently and probably become a billionaire sooner than later, which is what I'd guess is his actual biggest motivator now.