NHL finals

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Wow, who the hell would have guessed just a month and a half ago the Canes and Oilers would be in the finals? The Canes' Cam Ward, a rookie netminder, making it to the finals instead of Broduer was a bit of a shock to me, but he played well and the Canes managed to down NJ and a Sabres team that looked damn good at times (as much as I detest them).

Then there is the crude, a team that barely squeeked into the playoffs, hasn't made it passed the first round in years and for the last 8 years or so has been relegated to the role of the team that wasn't expected to do much but get to round 2, on a good year, and get ousted due to their inability to compete financially with the well funded US teams. While my Stars and the Oilers have a tumultuous past of beating the hell out of each other for 7 grueling games I wish Edmonton well and hope to see a Canadian team take the cup back home again.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Oilers will win in 6. Surprise that they got this far but if you watch the games there is nothing surprising about them at all. Just sheer domination.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
cam ward is from sherwood park which it 15-30min drive from edmonton.. even if the canes loose ward will always be the hero.. it's a win win situation for cam ward:chimp:

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
kobylka68 said:
Oilers will win in 6. Surprise that they got this far but if you watch the games there is nothing surprising about them at all. Just sheer domination.

OILERS...OILERS...OILERS...:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
damn rights go OILERS! theres no way the cup belongs in another southern US state :angry:

aria

Former Moderator
Didn't they end hockey?

I missed the series finale, but I thought Canada managed to stop hemorraging teams to the States, and an actual black guy became a hockey star.

It was a good show, but the rating has been sliding for years. They probably moved it to cable.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
Didn't they end hockey?

I missed the series finale, but I thought Canada managed to stop hemorraging teams to the States, and an actual black guy became a hockey star.

It was a good show, but the rating has been sliding for years. They probably moved it to cable.

Well, I guess the sport isn't nearly as exciting as baseball :rolleyes:

But I digress.

Carolina shouldn't surprise anyone that they are in the finals. They've had an awesome team all year round and are well deserving of the Finals berth.

Edmonton though has been playing some of the most exciting hockey I've seen with players who sacrifice their bodies every game. The sheer courage on that team, Ryan Smyth aside, is incredible.

I was hoping to see Buffalo get to the finals to have the most exciting series possible but Carolina will prove a tougher test, IMO.

GO OILERS!

racecar

20 Year Member
baseball players are over paid sissy's
shit.. people should be cheering for barry bond.. he doing steroid to help his team win.. how about that for sacrificing your body for the team:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
racecar said:
baseball players are over paid sissy's
shit.. people should be cheering for barry bond.. he doing steroid to help his team win.. how about that for sacrificing your body for the team:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I guess he figures that being rich and having the homerun record far outweighs a life of tiny testicles. Any baseball player who has used steroids should be automatically removed from the record book.

aria

Former Moderator
Argentina94 said:
Well, I guess the sport isn't nearly as exciting as baseball :rolleyes:

Dude, baseball sucks balls. Have you read my comments on it?

Hockey is that thing your white relatives from up north yammer on about.

I figure the show was like "Sex and the City" for lumberjacks and guys from Duluth named Gordy.

Scuz39

User title.,
Bobak said:
Hockey is that thing your white relatives from up north yammer on about.

I figure the show was like "Sex and the City" for lumberjacks and guys from Duluth named Gordy.

Oh, Bobak you disapoint me :(. You really should give the game a chance. There is no sport that takes more passion commitement and skill to play.

(also there are several black players that could be considered stars and more coming up. It is a Canadian and european sport first so the lack of Africans until recently isn't really a suprise.)

P.S. anyone ever seen chris rocks top 5 reasons black people don't play hockey? it was pretty frign funny.

racecar

20 Year Member
Scuz39 said:
P.S. anyone ever seen chris rocks top 5 reasons black people don't play hockey? it was pretty frign funny.

what is it??

ps .. george luraque is black.. he on the oilers

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I'm siding with the 'Canes because the Oilers eliminated my buddy's Red Wings.

To the whata-canes!

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Neither is my team, but an 8th seed in the finals ?

GO OILERS !!!!

aria

Former Moderator
Scuz39 said:
Oh, Bobak you disapoint me :(. You really should give the game a chance. There is no sport that takes more passion commitement and skill to play.

(also there are several black players that could be considered stars and more coming up. It is a Canadian and european sport first so the lack of Africans until recently isn't really a suprise.)

Alas, my attempt at feigned ignorance for the sake of humor has been taken too seriously. I was just poking fun at the fact that the NHL had lost so many viewers and then nearly killed itself.

I did my graduate degree at the University of Minnesota, they know hockey. I even took photos at a really interesting, hockey-related, event (I shared these back in 04/03):
http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/temp/gallery/mnhockey2003/mnhockey.htm

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
Alas, my attempt at feigned ignorance for the sake of humor has been taken too seriously. I was just poking fun at the fact that the NHL had lost so many viewers and then nearly killed itself.

You are right, of course. Gary Bettman thinks the NHL is still part of the "Big Four" of sports but even fringe sports gets better viewership in the States than hockey.

They did at least open up the game to make it more exciting but the only cities that should have a franchise are the northern ones that can actually fill seats (NY, Det, Phi, Minn, etc...)

They were already on thin ice with american viewers before the strike. After the strike was over, most never knew they were even gone.

racecar

20 Year Member
games on tonight.. i think the canes will take the first one the the oiler will bounce back to take game 2:cool:

Scuz39

User title.,
Bobak said:

I did my graduate degree at the University of Minnesota, they know hockey. I even took photos at a really interesting, hockey-related, event (I shared these back in 04/03):
http://www.neo-geo.com/reviews/temp/gallery/mnhockey2003/mnhockey.htm

heh sorry, 2 dumb points awarded to me.

(I actually remeber looking at those pictures when you first posted them.)

racecar

20 Year Member
fuck roloson hurt..the bastard choke...:very_ang: :very_ang: :very_ang:

it's all over the canes will sweep in 5

ty conklin will have his fucking house burned down:blow_top: :very_ang: :very_ang: :very_ang:

Last edited:

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Appearantly in the post game interviews MacTavish said the injury was serious enough to compare it to a guy who missed a good portion of the season so Roloson likely needs MCL or ACL surgery.:annoyed: I was really hoping the Oilers could do it, but imo this shit's over. Grats Canes, I guess. Anyone want to put money on how many waffle huts the Cup will be spotted in after this series is over?

And it isn't fair to jump up Conklin's ass over tonight's performance. He played a whopping 18 games this season and probably hasn't had a game quality shot fired on him since early to mid march. To put him out there with like 10 mins left in a tied game with only a 30 second stretch is going only one way, badly. That god-awful pass wasn't what I had in mind, but I knew that game was over as soon as OLN came back from commercial and I saw Roloson couldn't keep his weight on his right leg. You want to blame something for this mess its either Bergeron who shoved the Cane into his own netminder causing the injury or the entire team for letting the Canes come back from a 3-0 lead.

racecar

20 Year Member
Insaneclown said:
I'm soooooooooooo dissappointed in last nights game. :(
.. it's so painful to watch tonights:rolleyes: