ngbc delayed until next year

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Fran said:
snk playmore have probably a fifth of the staff that the old snk used to have

and these guys are clearly not as talented as the old crew

( remember ? they all left7 and made rumble fish and guilty gear )

and oh

one last thing

guilty gear is horrible

So, the old, talented staff left and made a horrible game? Something does not make sense here.

Guilty Gear is a very popular series already, if you don't like it just because it has high resolution sprites and you are "too old school", your problem.

Fran said:
bottom line:
it's a bit of a miracle that we're getting "new" 2d fighting games

and you have people that go like :

"8 sprites are new,but 2 aren't....awww i'm not playing this game,its a shame etc etc"

well,whatever :rolleyes:

people still think that high res > better gfx

third strike or samurai spirits 3 are so much better graphically than gg,
it boggles the mind some people cant realize that...

From a technical standpoint, high resolution is better than low resolution, that is a fact. I love the design for Third Strike, Vampire or Gekka, but come on, like you stated earlier, this is not 1995, you have to keep up with technology. If releasing a successful 2D fighter is so risky this days, you don't risk even more by giving the market ANOTHER low resolution game. You work hard, because you want your game to sell and be attractive, you make it live up to today's standards, not yesterday's.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
From a technical standpoint, high resolution is better than low resolution, that is a fact. I love the design for Third Strike, Vampire or Gekka, but come on, like you stated earlier, this is not 1995, you have to keep up with technology. If releasing a successful 2D fighter is so risky this days, you don't risk even more by giving the market ANOTHER low resolution game. You work hard, because you want your game to sell and be attractive, you make it live up to today's standards, not yesterday's.
At the same time, if 2D fighting game fans play Neowave, NBC and CFJ with all their re-hashness, you can bet companies won't feel the need to spend money they don't have to 'fixing' it. Isn't Guilty Gear mostly rehashed sprites also, with a couple new characters each time?

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
At the same time, if 2D fighting game fans play Neowave, NBC and CFJ with all their re-hashness, you can bet companies won't feel the need to spend money they don't have to 'fixing' it. Isn't Guilty Gear mostly rehashed sprites also, with a couple new characters each time?

We are already used to re-hashed sprites, just like with Vampire or Guilty Gear, they both have re-hashed ones, but they are already great and not old enough to be drastically re-designed or improved.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Like I said, I will accept the re-hashness of CFJ and NGBC, they're inevitable at this point.

But when you look at Re-Bout, they tried to make old sprites into something new. The fact that they would go and do that make me ill.

A matter of opinion it may be (and a very tired subject at that, but I have still yet to see a vast number of people in agreement), but SNK NEEDS to redo their sprites to hi-res Guilty Gear quality. I'm 90% sure it will happen eventually, and at first I thought that's what Re-Bout was gonna be. Nope, instead I get a slap in the face.

Will it make for better games? The answer's yes. The games will no longer make me ill, because it IS about the new hardware. They need to utilize it, anything less is unacceptable.

P.S. I like Guilty Gear, but that's irrelevant.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Shirt in a Can said:
But when you look at Re-Bout, they tried to make old sprites into something new. The fact that they would go and do that make me ill.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought so. 'Ill' is exactly right. I haven't seen them in motion, but the still pictures look awful to me. The closest thing I can equate to it is someone not aging gracefully and getting a really fake, plasticy, face lift, that makes your stomach churn just looking at it. They think they've turned themselves young again, when they really look like that dude from 'Mask'.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
The problem is that re-designing the whole cast's sprites would mean that the system would change, damage boxes would change, priorities would change... and that game would not play likg King of Fighters 94.

Aside from that, I dislike how it looks as well, and the 3D backgrounds are horrible, at least the ones I have seen.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Mushiki said:
The problem is that re-designing the whole cast's sprites would mean that the system would change, damage boxes would change, priorities would change... and that game would not play likg King of Fighters 94.

Aside from that, I dislike how it looks as well, and the 3D backgrounds are horrible, at least the ones I have seen.

Admit it, it's not that big of a problem. I'm sure it's not that hard to transfer the likeness of the damage boxes. It's something that needs to be done, and they're going to have to do it eventually (keep your fingers crossed that Re-Bout is going to be the last recycled game...even though it probably won't) if they don't want to lose 100% of their support.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Shirt in a Can said:
Admit it, it's not that big of a problem. I'm sure it's not that hard to transfer the likeness of the damage boxes. It's something that needs to be done, and they're going to have to do it eventually (keep your fingers crossed that Re-Bout is going to be the last recycled game...even though it probably won't) if they don't want to lose 100% of their support.

I was just talking about ReBout, the thing is that they don't want the game to lose the KOF94 gameplay/system in this "port".

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Mushiki said:
I was just talking about ReBout, the thing is that they don't want the game to lose the KOF94 gameplay/system in this "port".

Ah ok, makes sense now. Well, I hated '94 anyway.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
I want to buy it just to -finally- see a KOF game in hi-res, and to see if that sick Heidern bug is still there.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Mushiki said:
I want to buy it just to -finally- see a KOF game in hi-res, and to see if that sick Heidern bug is still there.

Please. Calling Re-Bout Hi res makes my asophagus sting with stomach acid. Mabye next time.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Fran said:
well,lol

old timers of these boards are probably sick of reading posts about this "sprites debate"

but lets go through it again,though

once more,yeah ?

people moaning about the fact that nbc isnt 100 % new are not getting the point

its not about a new hardware or a more powerful hardware vs an older one

you can have a 100 % new,beautiful game on the neo ( motw,gekka 1 )

or a super lazy game on the cps-5,naomi-8,whatever

but thats NOT the point,i'm afraid

its about the fact that THE YEAR 1995 IS GONE

the golden era of 2d fighting games is a thing of the past

like bb was saying,
companies like cap and snk
dont sell shitloads of sf2 ce boards or tons of garou special kits nowadays

maybe a quarter of what they used to do back then

the arcade centers are dying ( yes,even in japan )

capcom is no longer a rival for snk ( all the best capcom designers left the company after 1999 )

so capcom will probably NEVER release a new fighting game again

capcom has realized its no longer profitable to make arcade games,
and shifted focus on series like biohazard or onimusha

accept the truth,please

snk itself is no longer between us anyway

snk playmore have probably a fifth of the staff that the old snk used to have

and these guys are clearly not as talented as the old crew

( remember ? they all left and made rumble fish and guilty gear )

and you must also consider that now games like soul calibur 2 or tekken or virtua are very popular...

there were no 3d fighters when sf2 the word warriors was around

bottom line:
it's a bit of a miracle that we're getting "new" 2d fighting games

and you have people that go like :

"8 sprites are new,but 2 aren't....awww i'm not playing this game,its a shame etc etc"

well,whatever :rolleyes:

and oh

one last thing

guilty gear is horrible

people still think that high res > better gfx

:rolleyes:

i thought hendrix was the only one

:rolleyes:

third strike or samurai spirits 3 are so much better graphically than gg,
it boggles the mind some people cant realize that...

100% quoted, and I've just been saying the very same in any topic similar to this one...

but still people seem not to realize the facts... :rolleyes:

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Shito said:
100% quoted, and I've just been saying the very same in any topic similar to this one...

but still people seem not to realize the facts... :rolleyes:

Bullshit copout.