NG:Dev Team - Latest MVS Status Updates?

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Just got the shipping notification for my Gunlord reprint.

also,

Well, I certainly hope they rethink about that single-player-only stance when they make the Ikari Warriors type game.

Rejoice, back when they announced it they said that their ikari warriors style game will be their first multiplayer game.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
NGDev also said "neogeo is reaching its limits". Bullshit. The Sinclair Spectrum (timex on the USA) I grew with, reached its limits. That 8bit, 3mhz cpu and NO GPU AT ALL have an Outrun, Enduro Racer and more (no wheel and all of us were happy with that idea). That is called OPTIMIZATION. Programmers exploited that machine with tricks and deep assembler knowledge. And a lot of people still enjoy racing games on it. Man, that cpu i'm talking about is just the sound cpu on the neo!

Come on, NGDev, that is a pathetic situation: the neo have all the scalar in hardware and we only have micromachine-style racers!!!

Missile, I'm with you

I think what they mean by that comment is the way videoRAM is accessed. The system is fine for writing to the fix layer but to be honest and Im sure they will agree with this (even if its not what they are talking about)..... It would be so much better, faster and use less cpu cycles if you could access videoRAM directly from the 68k in relation to sprites instead of the ports the neogeo uses. This situation is not bad if your moving a single joined sprite (an entire background) but it is more exaggerated when you are trying to update many small sprites moving across the screen (bullets).

For example it takes 2 word writes to the video RAM port to update a sprites x and y cords (assuming your already at the right vram address and the modulo is at the right value). If the 68k had direct access and the sprite tables were set up differently you could do the same job with just one long word write.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Well I would suppose though that you would sooner be hitting the limits of the hardware with a bullet hell shmup like xyx than some outrun style sprite scaling driving game (it wouldnt maybe need quite as many sprites)

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well I would suppose though that you would sooner be hitting the limits of the hardware with a bullet hell shmup like xyx than some outrun style sprite scaling driving game (it wouldnt maybe need quite as many sprites)

Sprites are sprites dude.

Pedrobear

Cheng's Errand Boy
You can always display more I guess, but you are more likely to run out of CPU time to update/ hitbox check all bullets before you run out of tricks to display them.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
... This situation is not bad if your moving a single joined sprite (an entire background) but it is more exaggerated when you are trying to update many small sprites moving across the screen (bullets). ...

Thanks for the explanation. So if I understood well, is worst a lot of small sprites than less and bigger sprites. Ok, no problem. Outrun/Powerdrift/F-zero/Afterburner style game would not use too many sprites. Definitely less than NeoXYX.
So is feasible.

Last edited:

Ssturtle

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I had ordered the reprints for Last Hope, Gun Lord and Fast Striker last year.
Today I received one small package for just. Fast Striker, is NG. Dev mailing them out in separate packages?
Seems like a waste to mail them individually.
I emailed them but I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue.

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
Do you guys think there any chance they will be reissuing Last Hope PB on MVS?

6tusBeckmesser

Mr. Big's Thug
I had ordered the reprints for Last Hope, Gun Lord and Fast Striker last year.
Today I received one small package for just. Fast Striker, is NG. Dev mailing them out in separate packages?
Seems like a waste to mail them individually.
I emailed them but I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue.

They are mailing them individually to be able to track everything. Apparently there were problems in the past. Also did you order them all at once? Normally they ship them in same order as they were bought. At least Fast Striker and Gunlord should be on their way.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Thanks for the explanation. So if I understood well, is worst a lot of small sprites than less and bigger sprites. Ok, no problem. Outrun/Powerdrift/F-zero/Afterburner style game would not use too many sprites. Definitely less than NeoXYX.
So is feasible.

Yes but those kinds of games highlight another issue with NeoGeo sprites which relates to sprite priority. Basically sprites draw in the order of the sprite table. It can be done but your going to be wasting cycles making sure the sprite order is correct.

Personally I feel one type of game the NeoGeo would be perfect for which has not yet been done is something on the lines of gauntlet. It could work very well and include some nice things with sprite zooming.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yes but those kinds of games highlight another issue with NeoGeo sprites which relates to sprite priority. Basically sprites draw in the order of the sprite table. It can be done but your going to be wasting cycles making sure the sprite order is correct.

Personally I feel one type of game the NeoGeo would be perfect for which has not yet been done is something on the lines of gauntlet. It could work very well and include some nice things with sprite zooming.

Jeff made a video of the map routine capabilities of the Neo Geo and a Gauntlet game would be freaking awesome.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
That looks like the stage map from the side scrolling game GODS on the Amiga/Atari ST.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
*oops, double post*

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Agreed, also that's a cool demo. A gauntlet style game for the neo would be even better than an ikari warriors game

DeusVult

Another Striker
a gauntlet style game would be great, I would also like a scrolling beat em up like streets of rage 2, neo is lacking in that area,

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I would also like a scrolling beat em up like streets of rage 2, neo is lacking in that area,

That's where my avatar came from, I said NG DEV should make a D&D:SOM style sidescroller with Gordian and Vanessa Gaiden in the visual style of the old Barsoom covers.
I did the image to be funny but I still think it's a lovely idea! :-P

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
As long as it enables four players at the same time. It's unfortunate that Neo Bomberman was limited only to two players.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes the great thing about a gauntlet type game is it can be 4 player also on the NeoGeo.