NG.com board game thread

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Wow thanks for all the info! I just created an account over at boardgamegeeks. My username is bune.

I'm going to have to check out some of these "Ameritrash" games too and see how I like them. I'm brand new to these designer board games, so I definitely want to try a little of everything. Arkham Horror looks pretty cool. Would that be a good "testing the waters" game for the American style?

I'm really looking forward to playing Power Grid, more so than Puerto Rico simply for the fact that it looks like it has more player interaction. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a few plays in and let you know what I think of it. Brass is getting a reprint late summer or early fall it looks like, and I'm going to pick that up for sure I think.

Man, this Board Games with Scott site you mentioned a few pages back is going to take days to go through haha.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Wow thanks for all the info! I just created an account over at boardgamegeeks. My username is bune.

I'm going to have to check out some of these "Ameritrash" games too and see how I like them. I'm brand new to these designer board games, so I definitely want to try a little of everything. Arkham Horror looks pretty cool. Would that be a good "testing the waters" game for the American style?

I'm really looking forward to playing Power Grid, more so than Puerto Rico simply for the fact that it looks like it has more player interaction. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a few plays in and let you know what I think of it. Brass is getting a reprint late summer or early fall it looks like, and I'm going to pick that up for sure I think.

Man, this Board Games with Scott site you mentioned a few pages back is going to take days to go through haha.

I don't know that Arkham Horror would be a good start, though it's quite fun.

Maybe Fury of Dracula? I really like that game. American styled games are just really thematic, in that they're trying to simulate you doing stuff - while Euros are a little bit more dry, or rigid, and seem more like a game. Where an American-Styled game might have you playing as a hero cutting down monsters and finding loot...while a Euro like PR has you placing tokens, picking a job, and shipping corn to achieve some abstract victory point.

I like both types of games, don't get me wrong.

At BGG look at the "Geeklists" you can search them, and there are many lists on that will hit if you search for "Ameritrash" or "gateway games."

Most board game manufacturers have their rules freely available for download so as strange is this sounds READ THE RULES, before you buy. It's a great way to get an idea if you'll like that game.

cannonball

15 Year Member
So after watching Scott's video review of Agricola...

Bandwagon.jpg

It's on the way to my house :help:

All joking aside the game looks so much fun, especially the CCG aspect to it. Reminds me of my MTG days. Now to find some people hardcore enough to play it with :lolz:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So after watching Scott's video review of Agricola...

Bandwagon.jpg

It's on the way to my house :help:

All joking aside the game looks so much fun, especially the CCG aspect to it. Reminds me of my MTG days. Now to find some people hardcore enough to play it with :lolz:

I really don't feel that Agricola is too complicated, so you shouldn't need to find anyone too hardcore...then again boardgames that aren't the usual suspects (monopoly, Life, checkers, connect 4, sorry, etc) can scare people away...

I think you'll enjoy Agricola because it really seems like a nice meshing between a traditional Euro styled game and some aspects of American styled games, and CCGs like you mentioned.

The cards really help to change things up and create a level of replayability that is very nice. You're unlikely to EVER get the same hand of cards twice and thats the kind of stuff I really like in games - where your goal is always the same but the game features some kind of random setup elements to keep things fresh.

Personally I think the theme of farming is totally, 100%, kickass - it's almost, ALMOST, like a boardgame version of Harvest Moon.

The component quality is top notch and it's a very nice game all around, if not just a tad bit expensive...but worth it IMO.

I'm happy with my purchase of Agricola, but I preordered back in December direct from Z-Man games, so i was pretty sure i'd like it anyway...

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Played a sweet board game the other day guys:

LAST NIGHT ON EARTH: THE ZOMBIE GAME

-Seriously, this is a really cool Zombie game. It's really thematic and you get a nice Zombie/Survival Horror vibe from it.

This game, like Zombies! allows you to create a pretty cool Zombie narrative through the players actions, except unlike Zombies! this game is actually balanced and pretty decent from a mechanical standpoint - the winner doesn't feel arbitrary in this game, like in Zombies!

Thats not to trash on Zombies! because I like the game for the Zombie narrative you create in that game, and it's so "beer and pretzels" that it ultimately doesn't matter who wins because just playing the damned thing is fun enough.

Anyway, Last Night on Earth is cool.

One player plays as the Zombies and up to four other players play as the Heroes. The game is scenario based, and I think there are like 6 included scenarios. Each scenario presents a different goal for the heroes that they have to complete in a certain amount of turns. Examples of goals include killing a certain amount of zombies, preventing a certain amount of zombies from entering a house they are defending, finding gas to gas up a truck with and the escaping town, using explosives to destroy the zombie spawn locations, etc

Each of the heroes has their own special abilities too. Like the Sheriff starts the game with a gun, the nurse can heal others, the teenagers can take less damage, but can heal themselves thanks to their youthfulness, etc - Just thematic stuff like that. There is also a drifter and priest character who are pretty cool.

So basially you as the heroes run around the map trying to complete your goals while the zombie player is trying to kill you. The zombie player has a deck of Zombie cards and he gets to always maintain a hand of 4 cards. Basically these cards are played and have nasty effects on the heroes. The heroes can get hero cards, but they have to spend a turn inside a building "searching" and then they only get to draw one card. The heroes cards are either effects, or items, but mostly items. Thats how you obtain shotguns, lighters, baseball bats, torches, gas, etc.

Certain buildings allow heroes to "pick up" specific items from the hero discard pile. For example the Gun store allows the hero player searching it to pick up any weapon or ammo card in the discard pile.

Some items are one time use only, so thats how they would end up in the discard pile. Some weapons can run out of ammo (usually base on a die roll) so when they're out of ammo they end up in the discard pile.

Anyway, this game is a riot. Combat is fairly decent, if a little bit on the simple side. But you're killing zombies so it's aight.

The best part about this game?

It comes with a SOUNDTRACK.

Yeah thats right, you get atmopsheric music to put on while you're playing the game.

Totally kick ass.

The game board also features a variable setup, so you wont be encountering the same locations every time, though you'll eventually get repeat setups.

Overall, good stuff.

cannonball

15 Year Member
So, played 3 games of Power Grid this past weekend with some complete non-gamers and they loved it. I've heard that it's not a very good gateway game into euros but I would have to disagree. I guess it all depends though. It really is a deep game. Every game was really close too, it comes down to the last couple turns. You really have to anticipate when you think the game will end in order to come out on top. Now if I can just win one!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Well I finally got to play Combat Commander: Europe (CC:E), a game i've owned for awhile but as of yet hadn't had the chance to play.

Everything I read about the game was true: It's just a fun game. It's a tactical, squad level, WW2 wargame. It's a hex and counter game, so it looks like a lot of more traditional wargames, but any similarities to other, more detailed/complicated games is superficial only.

CC:E is like the action movie of Wargames. It's fun. Crazy stuff can happen. It's exciting. It's a card driven game, so everything you do depends on the cards. Successfully managing your cards is a key to winning, almost more important than where you decide to move your units on the map. You need to know when to discard and draw a new hand (wastes your turn) and what to play each card for (Generally each card will have two uses to the player). Even the "dice rolls" are on the cards. Each nation has a deck of 72 cards. On each card is a bunch of stuff, and a picture of a 2D6 roll. So you have the probablity of 2D6 repeated twice across the 72 cards (so there are two "2" rolls, etc). Even the combat is simple, basically a firepower vs defense type thing. Highest roll wins.

Anyway, you still need to make good tactical decisions. Running a unit in an open field (or on a road) straight towards a german heavy machine gun that is entrenched in a bunker will most definitely get your troops killed.

This game does err on the side of "arcade" rather than "simulation." So think of this game as Sega Rally (an arcade racer with a decent amount of depth) and not say Gran Turismo Career Mode (an intense simulation). It's like they distilled the flavor of WW2 action flicks down in to their essence and put it in a board game.

It has a number of things I like, such as the unit activation system which rewards good use of your sides leaders (leaders are everything in CC:E). I like the card play in the game. I also like that, generally, each side has a secret objective, so you never quite know what the opponent is up too. There are a bunch of secret objective chits and you typically draw one and hide it from your opponent at the beginning of a scenario. Some scenarios don't have secret objectives, but instead have fixed ones that everyone can see. Each map has 5 objective locations marked on it.

It'd be too hard to do a full review, because I don't care to explain the mechanics. If you are interested I suggest you check out the reviews over on BGG (i've linked to the game). Or download the rulebook. The whole rulebook is less than 25 pages long, and the majority of the rules you need are in the first 15 pages).

The rules are some of the best i've ever read.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also, looking at a new series of games, well new to me at least.

It's Ben Hull's Musket and Pike series by GMT games. So far there are four standalone games in the series. It covers warfare from the period of 1620-1680 where apparently men with muskets were in battle lines with guys with pikes (as the name of the series would suggest).

It's a fascinating period in history in terms of the transitionary period in warfare, and admittedly I know little about this era of musket and pike, which drew me to this series. I'll probably pick up at least one of the games for the historical value.

The games also have an interesting command and control system, where you might not have perfect control over the wings of your armies.

I find mechanics like this to be interesting. It's interesting to see how developers model this lack of perfect control of armies in to games. It wasn't uncommon for the left wing to not know what the right was doing, especially in the confusion of battle, and Hull's series attempts to model this.

I don't really have any games with this type of Orders system, whereby you give orders to troops, and then they have to follow them to their conclusion, unless you can (essentially) get new orders to them, which might not always be succesful (sort of representing the general having to send out riders and such to the individual commanders.

The game also has an interesting activation system, where you can try to "preempt" your opponent and get the jump on him before he moves.

Games in the series:

Basically the games in order are about the English, the French, and then the Swedes (two most recent titles). Unfortunately the first is out of print.

The game isn't supposed to be too complicated either, though definitely not something you'd want to jump in to if you had only ever played, say Monopoly.

Good Shit.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
October Boardgame thread update:

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! - Russia 1941-1942
is finally in the mail and on its way to my house. Should get it next week I think.

So this game is something of a darling right now in the board game community. There is a lot of hype surrounding it - but generally people are saying to believe what you hear - this game is apparently just that damned good.

Basically people are saying that this game is accessible enough and good enough to introduce non wargamers to wargames and provide them with a really fun game without having to know all the history behind the conflict or the period tactics. On the same token they're saying that despite this it will still appeal to wargame veterans as a lighter game (in term of complexity) that is still very rewarding.

I'll talk more about the game when it arrives, but suffice to say this might actually be the tactical wargame series I stick with.

Anyway, Awakening the Bear! Russia 1941-1942 is the first game of the Conflict of Heroes Series which will eventually be expanded to cover conflicts up to modern times. The next stand alone game (not expansion), Steel Rain - Russia 1943-1945, will feature the latter stages of the war on the Eastern Front in WW2 and introduce new units such as Aircraft.

Expansions are planned, but they will be in the form of additional playing pieces (to represent special units or specific nationalities not in the base games and of course additional scenarios to make use of those pieces).

New Games on my Game Radar (Gamedar)?

Field Commander: Rommel
Field Commander: Alexander the Great

Ok so here is the deal. Field Commander is a new series of SOLITAIRE (1 player) boardgames where you take on the role of a famous General or Military Leader and take part in the campaigns they participated in.

Basically, you'll be responsible for carrying out the historical campaigns and trying to achieve the historic results (or hopefully better in the case of Rommel!).

So, in the Rommel game, for example, you'll take Command of the French Campaign, North African Campaign, and the Campaign just after D-Day.

You can play each campaign as a separate game on it's own or you can start with the earliest game and play through each campaign in chronological order. How well you do in the earlier campaign will effect the later campaigns. There are some mechanisms for upgrading units and I imagine you could have the same Veteran and Elite units fight with you over the course of the three campaigns.

Anyway, i'm probably going to pick up the Rommel game because it's cheap and to see if I like the solitaire system. It's supposed to be really good and you can play each campaign in two hours or less. This is nice because Solitaire games tend to be longer affairs.

I really want the Alexander game though, due out in December because i'm a big fan of Greek History, even though Alexander is a dirty Macedonian.

The Alexander game is supposed to have more campaigns and I really like the Idea of starting with Alexander at the Battle of Chaerona and fighting all the way to India and back in a series of linked games where my progress in the previous games determines how well i do in the next game(s).

A lot of good games have come out this year, i wish i had the money to buy them all.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
October Boardgame thread update:

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! - Russia 1941-1942
is finally in the mail and on its way to my house. Should get it next week I think.

So this game is something of a darling right now in the board game community. There is a lot of hype surrounding it - but generally people are saying to believe what you hear - this game is apparently just that damned good.

Basically people are saying that this game is accessible enough and good enough to introduce non wargamers to wargames and provide them with a really fun game without having to know all the history behind the conflict or the period tactics. On the same token they're saying that despite this it will still appeal to wargame veterans as a lighter game (in term of complexity) that is still very rewarding.

I'll talk more about the game when it arrives, but suffice to say this might actually be the tactical wargame series I stick with.

Anyway, Awakening the Bear! Russia 1941-1942 is the first game of the Conflict of Heroes Series which will eventually be expanded to cover conflicts up to modern times. The next stand alone game (not expansion), Steel Rain - Russia 1943-1945, will feature the latter stages of the war on the Eastern Front in WW2 and introduce new units such as Aircraft.

Expansions are planned, but they will be in the form of additional playing pieces (to represent special units or specific nationalities not in the base games and of course additional scenarios to make use of those pieces).

New Games on my Game Radar (Gamedar)?

Field Commander: Rommel
Field Commander: Alexander the Great

Ok so here is the deal. Field Commander is a new series of SOLITAIRE (1 player) boardgames where you take on the role of a famous General or Military Leader and take part in the campaigns they participated in.

Basically, you'll be responsible for carrying out the historical campaigns and trying to achieve the historic results (or hopefully better in the case of Rommel!).

So, in the Rommel game, for example, you'll take Command of the French Campaign, North African Campaign, and the Campaign just after D-Day.

You can play each campaign as a separate game on it's own or you can start with the earliest game and play through each campaign in chronological order. How well you do in the earlier campaign will effect the later campaigns. There are some mechanisms for upgrading units and I imagine you could have the same Veteran and Elite units fight with you over the course of the three campaigns.

Anyway, i'm probably going to pick up the Rommel game because it's cheap and to see if I like the solitaire system. It's supposed to be really good and you can play each campaign in two hours or less. This is nice because Solitaire games tend to be longer affairs.

I really want the Alexander game though, due out in December because i'm a big fan of Greek History, even though Alexander is a dirty Macedonian.

The Alexander game is supposed to have more campaigns and I really like the Idea of starting with Alexander at the Battle of Chaerona and fighting all the way to India and back in a series of linked games where my progress in the previous games determines how well i do in the next game(s).

A lot of good games have come out this year, i wish i had the money to buy them all.

Solitaire? As an only child I wish they had games for one person (not on a computer) when I was growing up. That Awakening the Bear! looks pretty damn neat.

[and I don't know how you pronounce "game", but "gamedar" doesn't quite sound right]

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Solitaire? As an only child I wish they had games for one person (not on a computer) when I was growing up. That Awakening the Bear! looks pretty damn neat.

[and I don't know how you pronounce "game", but "gamedar" doesn't quite sound right]

The first solitaire boardgame I purchased was originally printed in 1983 actually - that is the year before I was born!

They were definitely there during the '80s and to a lesser extent in the '90s.

I think we're sort of seeing a renewed interest in solitaire only games or multiplayer games that have solitaire rules at the moment.

They're an interesting experience really. In some respects they're like single player videogames.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So I played Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear!

And I have to say all the hype this game has been getting is largely warranted. It is a great game for those looking for a lower complexity, squad level, tactical board game. If this first game in the series is indicative of what is to come, then i'm very excited.

The game itself has that rare blend of great gameplay without having an excessively cumbersome ruleset. Simple rules, however, don't mean that the historical aspects have been dumbed down. It's just a really elegant.

Components are rather nice too, not something you often can say of most wargames.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
While CoH is the bee's knees I must admit that in truth, I bumped this thread to talk about:

Twilight Struggle

To describe Twilight Struggle (TS) in three words:

Pure. Ultimate. Awesome.

What is Twilight Struggle you ask?

It is a card driven game (CDG) about the Cold War from approximately 1945-1989. The game is 2 player with the sides being the USA and USSR (as one would suspect).

What you're trying to do is vie for influence in various regions of the world (Europe, South America, Asia, The Middle East, Africa, Central America).

At certain times you'll score victory points based on what your superpower controls in a particular region. You can win in a few different ways:

• If at any time a Super Power has "Control" (the game's terminology) of Europe that Super Power Wins.
  • Having the most Victory Points at the end of the 10th turn.
  • If a Superpower achieves 20 victory points at any time, they win.
  • If your OPPONENT causes the DEFCON level to fall to 1 (NUCLEAR WAR!) you win (although technically, I think everyone loses, heh).

So whats the game like?

Well basically every turn the players draw a bunch of cards. The cards really are what drive the game and you can't do anything on the board without them. So there is some inherent randomness here, but it all evens out.

All cards have an Operations Point (OP) value of 1-4. OPs let you do stuff in the game such as realign a country, try to coup a country, or place Influence points in a country. Influence Points are what determines who controls a country and who doesn't.

All cards also have an event that has some in game effect. A lot of the time they let you do specific things that you otherwise wouldn't normally do. The "Fidel" Card, for example, removes all USA influence from Cuba and grants the USSR enough influence to control it (Gee, just like what really happened!)

So why the hell would the USA want to play a card like that? Well they wouldn't - but here is the real interesting thing: all the cards are of three types USSR, USA, or Neutral.

If you are Superpower you can choose to play a card that matches your Superpower, or a Neutral Card for either its Operation Points (OPs) OR for its event.

So ideally you'd think you would only want cards matching your Superpower or Neutral cards. But that ain't happening.

When you have a card associated with your opponent's superpower you basically just play it for its Operation Points, however, the EVENT also occurs (and your opponent gets to resolve it). You do, however, get to chose if the event occurs before or after you spend those OPs.

So a lot of the play is spent trying to mitigate damage from opponents cards you have in your hand. Sometimes you can play them at the right time and the damage is minimal. Sometimes, though, it's damning. Both players are working against this though. A note on the events - some cards go out of play once played, some stay in play on the table (or both of those), and some are simply put in the discard pile to eventually be reshuffled in to the deck.

So at the beginning of the Turn each Superpower has to play a "Headline" - what that means is they have to play a card from their hand for its event only. It's just a way for events to get played. Then there will be a number of actions rounds dependent on what phase of of the game you are in (early or mid/late war). And basically in an action round you'll just play a card for it's OPs or Event. Then your opponent will do the same. And you'll alternate in this manner until you've had the specified amount of action rounds.

You do have the option of, once per turn, using a card to attempt to advance in the Space Race. Basically the Space Race lets you dump (discard) a truly nasty card of your opponents in order to try and advance on the Space Race Track. The Space race basically serves as a way to get rid of a terrible card but there are also some victory points associated with it as well and a few other bonuses.

One more thing about the cards:

Their are "scoring cards." What does this mean? Well it's a card that either Superpower can play. The card will be associated with one of the regions on the board. When you play the card, you immediately "score" the region on the card and assign victory points.

So in game you might see an opponent heavily hitting a certain region. Guess what? He very well likely has that region's scoring card in his hand and is trying to get as much influence in the region to maximize his Victory Point gain when he plays the Scoring Card in a later action round this turn.

You always have to play a scoring card. Generally at the end of the turn you'll have one card left over. This is called a "held" card. A scoring card can never be a held card.

You can dump a scoring card in the space race though!

What is great about the scoring cards is that often you'll see an opponent start putting influence in an area. And what will you do? Go right over there and put your own influence but only because your opponent went over there and added his. It's a great sort of quasi-paranoia and keeps you guessing about what your opponent is up too.

What else happens in Twilight Struggle?

Well, the DEFCON level in the game is important. It starts at 5 and every time a coup attempt is made against a"Battleground" (game term) Country the DEFCON degrades by 1, towards the "1" space. Of course there are cards to increase the DEFCON towards peace, and at the start of a new turn the DEFCON improves as well. You have to be careful though, because often you'll get cards with your opponents event that will degrade the DEFCON. You need to get rid of those when the DEFCON is high, because you could get stuck playing it (as you always HAVE to play a card) and unintentionally starting a Nuclear War and losing the game.

Also each turn you are supposed to try and conduct a certain Operation Points worth of Military Operations (90% of the time in the form of COUPS). How many Military Operations you need to conduct is tied to the DEFCON. When you're at peace you have to conduct more, while when at say DEFCON 2 you conduct less. It's actually not very complicated at all, and when the DEFCON is low one coup will usually satisfy the military operations requirement. The penalty for not conducting enough Military Operations is that you can potentially give Victory Points to your opponent. Again both players have to deal with this.

Also the DEFCON level determines which regions you can Coup or Realign in. Generally the lower the DEFCON the less regions you can Coup/Realign in. A positive note you can always Coup in Africa and Central/South America!

OK, just one more thing about the cards (I promise):

You start the game only being dealt the "Early War" cards. As the turns goes by you add "Mid War" and finally "Late War" cards to the draw deck. In the Early War Asia, the Middle East, and Europe are the only "Scoring" regions that can give you Victory Points. Once the Mid War hits then all regions are up for grabs.

The cards are great too. The events are really thematic; stuff like Warsaw Pact, NATO, Marshall Plan, the "LONE GUNMAN", STAR WARS, Allende Elected, Cuban Missile Crisis, Grain Sales to Soviets, etc. All with wonderfully thematic effects too that any history buff would be sure to recognize.

The era that the card belongs to will contain events specific to that time period. So you wont be seeing cards dealing with Reagan or Gorbachev until the last few turns, while Fidel might get out early.

On that note, the Rulebook actually has a paragraph devoted to the event on each card - so if you are unfamiliar with the event in question you can look it up. A very nice touch.

Final Thoughts:

Anyway guys, I can't say good enough things about this game. It's just fun. The cardplay is tense. Trying to figure out when to play a card for an event of OPs is fun and challenging. Likewise figuring out what to do with all those cards you just drew that are associated with your opponent is a tough job. Just hope your opponent drew poorly too :D

The rules are only 10 pages long and nothing is actually too complicated. I had to check the official FAQ on the wording of a few of the event cards, but I had to reference the rules like twice in my first game. You really can't do much in an action round: play an event, place influence markers, make realignment attempts, attempt a coup, or try to advance in the space race. The player aids included with the game are great.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Lets talk about CCGs

Any of you nerds ever play the 1996 CCG Netrunner?

Sounds pretty interesting and the idea of completely asymmetrical gameplay and goals for the two players was certainly novel at the time for the genre (CCG). This is especially true when one considers how saturated the market was in the first few years after Magic came out.

Anyway if you don't know, Netrunner is sort of a cyberpunk affair where one player is a runner (a hacker) and the other player is some omniscient evil corporation, aptly titled "the corporation." The runner is trying to break in to the Corporations systems and steal shit. So the Corporation has to stop the runner and the runner has to break through the traps.

I haven't read the rules yet, just read some reviews and overviews of gameplay. Sounds fun to play as the corporation since there is a bluffing element. I like one sided bluffing in games (Fury of Dracula, for example).

Anyway. This fucker is long out of print. My understanding is that you can have a really good time, and get a really playable game if you just pick up the two player starter deck which contained two 60 card decks: One Corporation and One Runner. I'll probably do this very soon. Looks like I can get the decks for $30. A little much for a 12 year old failed CCG, but it's got quite a cult following.

I still actually need to get some more cards for the Middle Earth CCG. That is still th e best CCG i've ever played. I really just need to get the map, some dice, and some more of the ringwraiths so I have all 9.

I used to play this back in the day, but never owned any cards. Last year I picked up 10 sealed "challenge" decks. Basically preconstructed decks with a theme (like elves or dwarves, etc). Five good guy decks and five bad guy decks. Good stuff. It was really cheap too.

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
You should go to Germany next week, there is the SPIEL in Essen, it is the world's largest convention for analogue games. It is in Germany, since in no other country in the world so many analogue games are played and published (about 1,000 a year). It is a five days event and every year it is just fantastic. You can meet people from all over the world (many from the U.S.), chat with authors, test prototypes, play all the new releases. I usually end up with next to no sleep at all and hundreds, if not thousands of Euros spend on games. I own about 500, from geeky stuff like Advanced Squad Leader, the 18xx series to stuff that has more mass appeal. Playing boardgames is still one of my favourite social pasttimes.

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
Any of you nerds ever play the 1996 CCG Netrunner?

Sounds pretty interesting and the idea of completely asymmetrical gameplay and goals for the two players was certainly novel at the time for the genre (CCG). This is especially true when one considers how saturated the market was in the first few years after Magic came out.

Anyway if you don't know, Netrunner is sort of a cyberpunk affair where one player is a runner (a hacker) and the other player is some omniscient evil corporation, aptly titled "the corporation." The runner is trying to break in to the Corporations systems and steal shit. So the Corporation has to stop the runner and the runner has to break through the traps.

I haven't read the rules yet, just read some reviews and overviews of gameplay. Sounds fun to play as the corporation since there is a bluffing element. I like one sided bluffing in games (Fury of Dracula, for example).

Anyway. This fucker is long out of print. My understanding is that you can have a really good time, and get a really playable game if you just pick up the two player starter deck which contained two 60 card decks: One Corporation and One Runner. I'll probably do this very soon. Looks like I can get the decks for $30. A little much for a 12 year old failed CCG, but it's got quite a cult following.

I still actually need to get some more cards for the Middle Earth CCG. That is still th e best CCG i've ever played. I really just need to get the map, some dice, and some more of the ringwraiths so I have all 9.

I used to play this back in the day, but never owned any cards. Last year I picked up 10 sealed "challenge" decks. Basically preconstructed decks with a theme (like elves or dwarves, etc). Five good guy decks and five bad guy decks. Good stuff. It was really cheap too.
Netrunner is the best CCG I have ever played, mainly because it got rid of all the problems that plagued MTG - timing and resource allocation. And the theme is cool, too. I am sure I still have some sealed starters, drop me a line if you are interested, 30$ seems a bit steep.
As for the first ME-CCG, a couple of years ago, they were really throwing them out, I bought whole display-cartons for 5 Euros (another reason to go to Essen - you can make amazing finds). I did not really like the game too much, though, it simply is a bit slow for my taste and some of the cards are too powerful.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Netrunner is the best CCG I have ever played, mainly because it got rid of all the problems that plagued MTG - timing and resource allocation. And the theme is cool, too.
As for the first ME-CCG, a couple of years ago, they were really throwing them out, I bought whole display-cartons for 5 Euros (another reason to go to Essen - you can make amazing finds). I did not really like the game too much, though, it simply is a bit slow for my taste and some of the cards are too powerful.

I believe the first day of the 2008 Essen fair is today :D

My next game purchase is definitely going to be just a 2 player starter of Netrunner.

The ME-CCG by ICE is rules heavy but it's also highly thematic. I couldn't recommend the game to anyone who didn't enjoy the source material though.

Middle Earth is just one of those collectible games where you can build a really nicely themed deck (like "dwarves" or "rangers" or "elves" or an Under Deeps deck, or a dragon fighting get treasure from a hoard deck) that is actually viable and can win.

I never really liked the powergaming aspects of CCGs where people just tried to tweak their decks for the most powerful combos.

Even when I did play magic I usually just ran a Red deck full of Orcs and Goblins, because I thought the pictures and descriptions were funny and Orcs/Goblins are cool anyway.

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
So, played 3 games of Power Grid this past weekend with some complete non-gamers and they loved it. I've heard that it's not a very good gateway game into euros but I would have to disagree. I guess it all depends though. It really is a deep game. Every game was really close too, it comes down to the last couple turns. You really have to anticipate when you think the game will end in order to come out on top. Now if I can just win one!

Check out the other games by Friedeman Friese, most of them are fantastic (I only disliked Fiji and Fürchterliche Feinde). The one I like most (because of the theme) is "Frischfleisch" (fresh meat), every player controls a group of four people, all groups are lost in a desert and have to survive for four rounds. They have to eat, but there is not enough, so they have to hunt and kill each other.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Still dedicated to Kernow.

Lagduf's Christmas Boardgame Recommendation:

Sorry Sliders

- Video Review

A simple yet fun dexterity game that can be enjoyed by children and adults. They go a little crazy throwing and flicking in that video, but you get the point.

You can find this at Wal-Mart so it's probably at Target and all the other super stores. Gameoz, I bet your family would like this.

Sometimes gems are hidden in mass market games.

While the video mentions a lack of a design credit by Hasbro it has been determined that the game was designed by the dude who has basically designed all the mass market Hasbro games worth playing in the last 15 or so years.

Honorable Mention:

Yetisburg: Titanic Battles in History, Vol. 1

- Video Review

Remember the Battle of Gettysburg? Well what you didn't know about that epic battle was that both sides employed Yetis (abominable snowmen) and Wooly Mammoths.

I'm not sure how that fact made it out of the history books, but it did and the battle was originally called Yetisburg anyway.

This is all true.

Anyway, got a fun, simply card game here with a bit of randomness but some solid overall strategy dealing with troop positioning and card conservation.

You'll probably have to buy this one online.

Anyway, thought I'd point out some games that everyone might enjoy.

I've of course got a list a mile long of games i'd like that are probably too long and complex for their own good (well, at least when compared to the mass market fair) but hey, thats what I'm into. Doesn't mean I don't recognize a good, simple, game when I see it though.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
no one has mentioned:
Kill Dr Lucky

come on board game people!!!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sorry Sliders is $15 at Walmart

:eye::eye:

I've heard of Kill Doctor Lucky but not played it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I just worked out a trade for TITAN

Anyone play this back in the day? It was first released in 1980.

This is the 2008 reprint by Valley Games featuring completely new artwork and updated components.

Anyway, Titan is a multiplayer game where players command Legions of fantasy monsters including their very own Titan, which represents the player.

The goal of the game is to kill the opposing players titan. Of course you don't initially know which Legion your opponents Titan is hiding in, you only know how many monsters in in an opposing legion.

Anyway, Legions can grow stronger and recruit monsters, split off to form new legions, etc. A player's Titan can grow stronger as it wins battles too.

It's kind of an unusual game really but one thats had a cult following since release and has now been rereleased to the public (before this people were making their own copies!).

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
When I was little, I had the coolest board game set called "Weapons & Warriors". It was a set of medieval troops, red and blue, and two fortifications on each side, separated by a forest path in the center. One side was a big castle, and one was a small siege camp. I don't know if it was considered a playset or a true board game, but it had some fairly complex rules for play (for a kid anyway). Rolling a die, you could march your troops toward the enemy base, or take a shot with a little catapult weapon that actually fired plastic balls at high speed. Best of all, each fort had spring-loaded targets that exploded if hit with a ball. It was awesome!

Nowadays, the only board games I have are Monopoly, Super Mastermind, Chess, Shogi, and... Boggle for when "normal" people come over. :D

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
When I was little, I had the coolest board game set called "Weapons & Warriors". It was a set of medieval troops, red and blue, and two fortifications on each side, separated by a forest path in the center. One side was a big castle, and one was a small siege camp. I don't know if it was considered a playset or a true board game, but it had some fairly complex rules for play (for a kid anyway). Rolling a die, you could march your troops toward the enemy base, or take a shot with a little catapult weapon that actually fired plastic balls at high speed. Best of all, each fort had spring-loaded targets that exploded if hit with a ball. It was awesome!

Nowadays, the only board games I have are Monopoly, Super Mastermind, Chess, Shogi, and... Boggle for when "normal" people come over. :D

Did you say....Weapons and Warriors? I take it you have been down your local board game aisle at Walmart/Kmart/Target lately.

Because they reissued the game as: Crossbows and Catapults

Relive the glory days!

Last edited: