NG.com Beer Thread/Beer Discussion

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I filled my growler this past weekend with some "Grassroots". It's from a local brewery here in Mid TN that I was previously unaware of...."Calfkiller Brewing Co". I tip my hat to these guys. It was really good. Been awhile since I've had one, but from what I can recall it reminded me of Pliny the Elder...which is available about 2000 miles from here.

I liked the Calfkiller stuff I had before I moved away. Keep your eyes open, Middle TN has probably half a dozen breweries in various stages of planning set to open in the next couple of years.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I liked the Calfkiller stuff I had before I moved away. Keep your eyes open, Middle TN has probably half a dozen breweries in various stages of planning set to open in the next couple of years.

That's exciting news. There's also a new distillery just outside of M'boro. "Short Mountain Distillery" in Woodbury, TN. I work 15 minutes from the Jack Daniel's Distillery, but would love to go check out the new one...

Back to breweries, Jackalope is still going strong in N'ville, but I've heard mixed reviews...

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
"The Distillery" Bar and Pub in Savannah, GA

DSCN1586.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I hope they carry Schlitz.

That's an American Classic right there.

I used to drink a lot of Killians back in the day, but only because I hit up a dive bar that would have $1 pints in the middle of the week and that was the best beer they had on tap.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I hope they carry Schlitz.

That's an American Classic right there.

In honor of my late grandfather, I keep my spare fridge stocked with "Just a Kiss of the Hops".....and I drink the heck out of it. :) It looks nice sitting beside some Yazoo and Harpoon.

BTW....in honor of my name "Andy", I picked up a bottle of Abita "AndyGator".....haven't tried it yet.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Here are a couple of photos I took from my Karbach Brewery tour:

Their sign above what I assume was the meeting area:
karsign.jpg

A tasting glass of Weisse Versa (I got to keep the glass as well as buy a logo pint glass for $1):
karglass.jpg

I plan on trying some of Saint Arnold's Santo next.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
Was hoping to find some Cantillon today, but it's nearly impossible now because apparently they had a fire at the brewery (and it was hard to get before).

This will have to do for now...

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
In addition to having a pretty cool label, Santo by Saint Arnold is pretty spiffy. It's all smooth and a bit wheaty. Kinda like their amber but a touch lighter.

Saint-Arnold-Santo3.png

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
In addition to having a pretty cool label, Santo by Saint Arnold is pretty spiffy. It's all smooth and a bit wheaty. Kinda like their amber but a touch lighter.

Saint-Arnold-Santo3.png

The label is by Carlos Hernandez.
I think he's from houston as well.
I saw a show of his in San Antonio.
Day of the Dead rock stars.

http://flic.kr/p/6GySHi
3740857859_e9cde158e1_o.jpg

I loved his stuff.
If I had lots of money,
I'd buy his ladies of jazz collection.
I'm a huge Billie fan.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
so I went to a "specialty beer" store in Michigan and asked if they carried anything by one of my favorite brewers - Jolly Pumpkin. The response is "no, that is seasonal".

:oh_no: faaaacepalm

they don't make pumpkin beer....well, they did once just to shut people up. haha.

luckily I picked some up in WI when I got home.

IMAG0908.jpg

Also, lakefront brewery has a new beer out.. I was surprised at how good it is.... I don't like a lot of their stuff (although they have one of the better brewery tours). This one is a winner for me:

IMAG0907.jpg

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
My store's having the most random discount:

4-pack cans of Wells Bombadier for $3.99. You better believe I snatched one up before it was too late. They've been flying out the door.

While no new beer tastings to report, I have been tempted by a Mana Wheat from Maui Brewing Co. Has anyone tried it before?

mesmer

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member

I used to go to the Saint Arnold tour all the time when I lived in Houston, it was free then. Independence is not as good. (512) is incredible, did the tour there once as well. Have you all tried the Southern Star beers? Not the best, but they are really fresh tasting due to being unpasteurized, in a can, and local.

Lately I've been drinking sierra nevada torpedo at home.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
well, closer to home we have New Holland brewery (about 1 hour south of my new house).

Picked up their sour... it's.........good. The first sip I wasn't sure but I think I like it now. I wonder if this batch would taste better next year.

IMAG0934.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, those rule.

I'm going to have some Black and Tan's tomorrow.

I need to get a home bar setup.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Anyone care to talk cocktails using beer? Isn't there a tasty recipe out there using an ale and lemonade?

Just read about the best beer cocktail EVAR:

Drink a 40oz of Olde English 800 then top the bottle off with Guinness. I feel like I missed out some good times in college by not drinking this.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I came across a quote today that I feel describes me pretty accurately.

Harold Rudolph said:
Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
more cantillon!!

my brother left me this house warming gift when we came in with the moving truck!

IMAG0967.jpg

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Speaking of beer-based cocktails, I had a Guinness with a shot of Chambord mixed in. I forgot what it was called, but it was unusually tasty.

I could go for some car bombs right about now...

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
EDIT***is this aka a car bomb? On my phone, can't be arsed to look.

Flaming Dr. Pepper=

Solo cup 3/4 full of Guiness
+ shot glass full of 151 (light it on fire)
Drop flaming glass into solo cup...

...*just* after the flame extinguishes,

POUND THE NOW FULL SOLO CUP AFAYC.

Yummers! Taste like Doctor Thunder more than Pepper going down...hella good, tho.

Last edited:

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I had some Sierra Nevada Hoptonium. Good stuff. Also grabbed a bottle of STONE Old Guardian but have not opened it yet.