Newbie to KoF

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
What do you guys think is the best first KoF to start off with ? I've never played any of them before. ( I know, sad huh ?) From the reviews I've read I'm really leaning towards 96' as my first. Opinions welcome :)

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
KOF 98

If anyone tells you different they are a liar.

This isn't even my favorite KOF.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I'd probably go with 2k2 for the price/roster etc... you can't beat it.

Toby

Zero's Secretary
Im new yo KOF to the only one I have is 98 and it is superb.Ive got 2000 on the way I hope its as good :drool:

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
'98 for the gameplay. '97 for story. '96 for music.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
King of Fighters 98, the most "pure" and evolved of the traditional King of Fighters.

If you manage to be good at it, you will most likely have no issues in switching to newer KOF games.

neo*geo

Mickey's Coach
i would have to go with King of fighters 95 cause i started off with that and it is old skool fighting

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
either KOF 98 or 2001

2000 is also very enjoyable for starters, but it's preferable if you learn the basic chain combos with either KOFs that I mentioned above (KOF 2001 has more, easier chain combos)

let us know as soon as you get one, so that we help you with gameplay.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
2002. I can't recommend 2001: worst art overall, awful soundtrack, and uninspired backgrounds; gameplay is alright (minus the striker system, which is even worse than the one in '99), but there are much better options. In addition to 2002, I recommend '98 and 2000.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
2002 is an excellent game for (professional) combo freaks who can simply pull 90% ~ 100% combos in KOF 2001, but it's not that great/special for beginners.

those who are new to the series will most certainly enjoy pulling combos such as those in KOF 2000 (strikers) or 2001 (cancel, wire effect).

and unlike some capcom games, the striker system in 2000 is indeed fun to use, especially for starters.

and in 2001, I just like how almost every character has a standard chain combo. the perfect opportunitry/experience for those who would like to try finding new combos by their own.

Abasuto, if you're interested, I will go into more details about gameplays and explain more about the differences between KOFs. trust me, this series is all about gameplay.

laurie

Zero's Tailor
I just want to give some big respect to k'_127 for knowing that kof is about gameplay, and that 2001 is up there with the best. :buttrock: for my man.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
awww thanks for the kind words, laurie. that was no big deal. everyone already knows about KOF's gameplay :glee:

and I just want to add that KOF 2002 is still quite expensive in comparison with the other KOFs.

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
KOF 2000 for the style, 98 for the gameplay, and 97 for story. 2003 is quite a change and a decent one if you wanna shell out the $.

laurie

Zero's Tailor
Its just that 2001 gets slated so much and I realy think its one of the best. Actualy come to think of it there all good. Only ones I could live without are 94 and 99, and 2000 if I had too.

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
laurie said:
Its just that 2001 gets slated so much and I realy think its one of the best. Actualy come to think of it there all good. Only ones I could live without are 94 and 99, and 2000 if I had too.

Why do you think KOF2001 is so great? Granted, it plays quite a bit differently than most of the other KOFs, which can be nice for a change of pace now and again. However, the game just seems like it has a very low production level or a very inexperienced team that worked on it. The backgrounds are uninspired, the music is somewhat catchy but bland overall, and the actual mechanics of the game are broken like none other. Maybe that's why people enjoy KOF2001 so much: anything you can think of, you can do. It's not that I hate KOF2001, it's just that it's definitely one of the most questionably entries in the series. Just my two cents.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
if you check the backgrounds in all KOFs and then watch another series like Last Blade or MotW, you will figure out that all the BGs you've seen in KOF are just completly "unspired" and dull. save maybe few BGs in 95 and 99, but that's it. the difference between all the BGs in KOFs are in fact slim and even barely considred a difference, especially in the last 4 KOFs.

the same goes for the presentation of the series as a whole.

the only thing that keep changing in the series is the gameplay. and that what sets the KOFs apart from each others.

and it may just be me .... but who gives a damn about music in fighting games?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
also, regarding 2001, if you consider the short development time of the game, and also consider all the new (innovative and creative) elements added to the gameplay, you will be able to see the greatness of this game.

it was handeled by a different team (Eolith) at that time and I expected eveything to be fucked up. combo timings, the control, the flow of the sprites ... etc.

but fuck all that remained almost intact. hell they even managed to increase the gameplay's speed.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
KOF 94:

finally, fighters from different SNK games can fight with each others. Terry vs Takuma? cool.

94.jpg

KOF 95:

now you can pull simple combos. jumping kick to normal punch to a super move. and they added Iori!!

95.jpg

KOF 96:

huge improvment in gameplay. they added super jumps and hops (small jump). and now you can run.

- super jump: you can do it by either:

*jump while running.
*or tab down once and then jump.

the character will perform a big, fast jump. very effective against projectiles. also, combos can be done easier after a super jumps (the character land right next to the opponent)

- hops: just quickly tab up once (or any of the upper corners for hopping forward or backward). the character will perform a small jump. very dangerouse and surprising if opponent is blocking while crouching.

- you can also do a combination of both hops and super jumps. the character will hop at the same speed of a super jump. tab down once and then quickly tab up. or simply tab up very breifly while running. extremly important skill for any KOF player.

96-A.jpg

96-B.jpg

96-C.jpg

96-D.jpg

96-E.jpg

- and I've just noticed that you can connect some weak kicks and punches with super moves. not sure if there are many of these combos.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
KOF 97:

nothing really new as far as gameplay is concerned. maybe the combo timings is a bit different now. and now you can choose between the classic KOF charging method (for desperation moves) by holding A + B + C or charging by attacking and pulling super moves (like in SF alpha series)

(notice the pwer gauge)

97-B.jpg

97-C.jpg

KOF 98:

- they added the chain combo system.

what's a chain combo?

in some fighting games, you can do an overhead attack by holding forward and pressing a medium or weak punch (like with Ryu in SF alpha 2)

now you can connect these attacks with a strong punch and follow them up by a super move or a Desperation Move. for example, you can do the following combo:

jumping kick ---> strong punch ---> an over head attack ---> super or desperation move

98-A.jpg

98-B.jpg

98-C.jpg

98-D.jpg

98-E.jpg

98-F.jpg

- they also added the Max Desperation Moves (very destructive. take 2 power stocks)

- huge, balanced roster. (36 characters I think). not to mention the EX version of some of the characters.

- the combo timings are much better now. the gameplay and the battles' flow feel tighter and more balanced.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
There are chain combos in 97 too:

Joe

Jump D, Standing C, Forward + B, special or SDM

Mary

Jump D, Standing C (one hit), Forward + A, special or SDM

Two of my favorites. :)

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Guess I'll update my own thread. Got KoF 96' about 3 weeks ago, and just worked out a deal tonight to get 95'. From here I'll just work my way up going by year and get 94' whenever ( it's the cheapest to get ). Owning the entire series is a goal of mine. :D