New supergun/CMVS build (IN PROGRESS)

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
So after asking around in another thread about adding credit counters to a joystick I was thinking of making, K-2 came to the rescue and shipped me a complete Goldie CP! Now instead of making a plug in joystick setup with coin counters my ideas have changed!

What I'm thinking of now is building a frame/case to mount the CP to. I am wanting to install the hinge on the CP so I can open the case up similar to how it would function on the cab. Inside I want to house a MVS 1 Slot board and wire everything including the coin counters into it. I will then cut a opening to accept a cartridge without having to open the system to swap them!

Now here is the curve. I was thinking of installing a 2 slot jamma switching board. slot one will be plugged into the MVS, slot 2 I was going to hit up Terot to build me a Jamma extension harness to plug in and have the female end hanging out the back to use when I get other boards!

Thoughts, suggestions, self obsessed psychotic rants?

Here are some of the photos of the CP K-2 sent. I'm going home for lunch to hopefully pick the CP up and really start on it!

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
First question.....

Why are people using sync cleaners? I would assume that every board is different and some need it and some dont?

Second question......

Why are a large part of people using a neobitz encoder and a j-rok sync cleaner?

Third question.......

Wouldnt it be easier/cleaner to just populate the sync cleaner area on the neobitz?

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Well I was hoping to update with pictures of the CP. But after calling USPS and having them tell me that even though it says its supposed to be delivered today that they (USPS) dont have to deliver it today and will get to it when they can. Thats probably the reason they dont allow firearms in post office anymore.....You try telling some welfare mom that you will deliver her check when you get to it and I bet she would go "postal" on your ass! Anyways looks like i'm stuck playing the CMVS instead of melting solder and plasma torching metal!

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Nice looking cp! Love the look of those goldies. Seems like it would make more sense to just build it as a supergun with a jamma harness that you could plug into your MVS and other boards.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Those metal CPs are about 30" long, and weigh a ton.

You may want to consider boxing it (like a cab), adding two controller ports, and just connecting it to your NEO/Jamma harness.

Looks cool though.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
What I'm thinking of now... Inside I want to house a MVS 1 Slot board and wire everything including the coin counters into it. I will then cut a opening to accept a cartridge without having to open the system to swap them!
Idea courtesy of Xian Xi Think Tank Corp ;)

I'm still digging the concept! And think everything should fit inside nicely. But you will need a nice place to set it up, those thinks sure are gigantic. Should be a lot of fun if you do it right... the cutout for the MVS carts might be the most challenging part if it is to look decent - but you can do it!

As to sync cleaners: some arcade PCBs will not work properly if one of those isn't used - bouncing picture, scrambled screen, bad colors or even black screens being common issues fixed by the jrok. I'd install one of those definitely if you don't have a separate sync stripper/cleaner in your video chain. As for the Neobitz: should simply be the best option for component output...

Now here is the curve. I was thinking of installing a 2 slot jamma switching board.
Nice touch. d/k if and how well that will work, but at the moment don't see why it shouldn't. If you're building a case around the CP you could add a compartment in which to store the harness when it is not used. If you're going to make this into a supergun as well, you might also consider adding one of those small LED voltage displays for +5V ;)

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Goldie CP showed up today! Going to take it over to the inlaws tomorrow to see what they can think up for a case. Isnt as big as I thought it would be so I may have to re-think a few things but thats part of the fun! Now I need to find a 1 slot, anyone wanna trade two cheese burgers for one?

Does anyone have the measurements of a 2 in 1 jamma switcher board?

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Always good to see some fun stuff up in here. :)

Imho, you could build the rest of the cab around the CP that you're missing--like the part that supports the CP and the PCB compartment. :glee:

___ _______________
|CP|PCB Compartment|

Last edited: