New Star Wars stuff announced

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
They've changed the release date and schedule.

Instead of dropping on Wednesdays at 3AM Eastern, episodes will drop on Tuesdays at 7PM Eastern starting this Tuesday the 22nd.

famicommander

15 Year Member
From The Escapist
It's worth being clear on this. While recent Star Wars streaming projects like the third season of The Mandalorian, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and The Book of Boba Fett are narrative messes, Ahsoka is reassuringly well-made. Filoni knows how to structure a story, how to provide information, and how to establish character. Just in terms of basic craft, Ahsoka stands apart from so many of the modern live action Star Wars shows, even if it remains in the shadow of Andor.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Rotten Tomatoes user scores for the recent Star Wars TV shows

Live action:
Ahsoka - 86% (so far)
Andor - 86%
The Mandalorian - 78%
Obi-Wan Kenobi - 62%
The Book of Boba Fett - 54%

Animation:
Tales of the Jedi - 93%
The Clone Wars - 91%
Rebels - 84%
The Bad Batch - 83%
Young Jedi Adventures - 81% (early childhood animation)
Visions - 65% (non-canon anime anthology)
Resistance - 57% (early childhood animation)

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
First two eps were slow but good.

I have a feeling that Marrek (the third guy who is an inquisitor) is Ezra :(

famicommander

15 Year Member
First two eps were slow but good.

I have a feeling that Marrek (the third guy who is an inquisitor) is Ezra :(
There's no way that's Ezra. That would make absolutely no sense at all.

Edit:
from the official description of the character
"Once an Inquisitor hunting Jedi for the Empire, the mysterious Marrok now works as a mercenary hired by Morgan Elsbeth to carry out dark deeds. Fully encased in battered battle armor, the warrior still carries a red double-bladed saber with a circular hilt."

Marrok worked for the Empire.

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I've watched most of the main star wars stuff, except clone wars. Am I supposed to remember who any of these people are? Other than Ahsoka, who looked familiar but I couldn't have told you her name before this show, none of the characters in this show ring a bell

famicommander

15 Year Member
I've watched most of the main star wars stuff, except clone wars. Am I supposed to remember who any of these people are? Other than Ahsoka, who looked familiar but I couldn't have told you her name before this show, none of the characters in this show ring a bell
Hera, Sabine, Ezra, and Chopper were four of the six main characters on Rebels (alongside Kanan Jarrus and Zeb). Ahsoka is the main character of Clone Wars, a frequently recurring character on Rebels, and an occasional guest on Mandalorian/Book of Boba Fett. Governor Alzadi is from Rebels. Morgan Elsbeth is from The Mandalorian. Huyang is from Clone Wars. The three lightsaber-wielding antagonists are new characters, though the masked one could be revealed later to be someone we already know.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

This is literally season 5 of Rebels, which was an offshoot of Clone Wars.

So if you havent seen that then yeah, you wouldn't remember any of the leads.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
yeah, I never watched Rebels either which explains it. Morgan Elsbeth I guess I just forgot from Mandalorian. I've been meaning to watch clone wars and the other animated shows people said were good, so this might be the impetus for me to finally do that

famicommander

15 Year Member
yeah, I never watched Rebels either which explains it. Morgan Elsbeth I guess I just forgot from Mandalorian. I've been meaning to watch clone wars and the other animated shows people said were good, so this might be the impetus for me to finally do that
Couple things to remember:

1. Clone Wars was aired out of order. If you're gonna watch it, use this order:

2. With the animated shows, each season is stronger than the last by quite a bit.

So for Clone Wars, season 1 is the weakest by far and season 7 is the strongest. Same goes for Rebels; 1 is the weakest, 4 is the strongest. And Bad Batch season 2 is stronger than season 1. Filoni shows tend to take a little bit to find their voice.

3. You should watch the animated shows in this order:
-Clone Wars (in the order above)
-Bad Batch (in release order)
-Rebels (first watch the 4 shorts, then the show in release order)
-Tales of the Jedi (in release order)

4. Resistance and Young Jedi Adventures are for kids under 7 so skip them

famicommander

15 Year Member
RT score update:
Ahsoka - 94 critics/89 user
Andor - 96 critics/86 user
Mandalorian - 90 critics/78 user
Obi-Wan - 82 critics/63 user
Boba Fett - 66 critics/54 user

Users way harsher than the critics across the board. You know something is wrong with the critics when that happens. Usually the fans are way, way more forgiving.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
RT score update:
Ahsoka - 94 critics/89 user
Andor - 96 critics/86 user
Mandalorian - 90 critics/78 user
Obi-Wan - 82 critics/63 user
Boba Fett - 66 critics/54 user

Users way harsher than the critics across the board. You know something is wrong with the critics when that happens. Usually the fans are way, way more forgiving.
The loud neckbeard fans that follow Doomcock, Nerdrotic, Critical Drinker, etc. are definitely not way more forgiving. Just the opposite. They're also the ones that love to review bomb aggregate sites.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
To add to what Fami said (to which I agree with entirely):

The Ahsoka you see in Mando, BobaFett and the Ahsoka show is grown, and has matured quite a bit. Shes not the same at the beginning of Clone Wars. When you watch CloneWars, be aware that Ahsoka starts off SUPER annoying. Like "why the fuck would you add this new character to established canon???" annoying. And its not because shes a kid. Shes just... fucking annoying.

But by probably the 4th episode or so (seriously its that quick) Ahsoka's characterization changes for the MUCH MUCH better and she becomes this truly endearing character. The SW fandom's love for her is definitely well founded. Its not because Rosario Dawson is so god damned hot. (well, not ONLY that)

Filoni is 3 for 3 on introducing kid characters into SW who start off annoying, but get way more likeable pretty quickly. Ahsoka for sure, then Ezra in Rebels, and then Omega in Bad Batch.

I absolutely love Ahsoka. Shes 100% my favorite SW character ever, even over Vader and Fett.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The loud neckbeard fans that follow Doomcock, Nerdrotic, Critical Drinker, etc. are definitely not way more forgiving. Just the opposite. They're also the ones that love to review bomb aggregate sites.
Well in this case those fan scores are much more in line with reality than the critic scores. How the fuck the critics gave Obi-Wan an 82 I'll never know.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Even though the person under the mask is a male stuntman, I'm thinking the Inquisitor might be Barriss Offee. She was last seen being taken into custody by Palpatine's men after bombing the Jedi temple and framing Ahsoka for it.

It absolutely can't be Ezra. If Ezra made it back from the unknown regions he wouldn't be looking for a map to find Thrawn there. He'd have come from there back to where he is now.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Well in this case those fan scores are much more in line with reality than the critic scores. How the fuck the critics gave Obi-Wan an 82 I'll never know.
I think the score was accurate. It had some really good stuff, but enough doofy stuff to keep it out of the top tier.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I think the score was accurate. It had some really good stuff, but enough doofy stuff to keep it out of the top tier.
Nah man, the whole show was bad. It was better than Boba Fett, but that's not saying a lot. The entire show is pretty much just slow chase sequences and people walking away instead of killing the person they were just fighting. Pretty much every fight ends with someone incorrectly assuming their opponent is dead and walking away, or inexplicably choosing to spare said opponent. Little Leia's actress did a good job and so did McGregor, but the writing was horrible all the way through.

Even the final Vader vs Obi-Wan showdown was just a much, much worse version of Vader vs Ahsoka from Rebels.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Nah man, the whole show was bad. It was better than Boba Fett, but that's not saying a lot. The entire show is pretty much just slow chase sequences and people walking away instead of killing the person they were just fighting. Pretty much every fight ends with someone incorrectly assuming their opponent is dead and walking away, or inexplicably choosing to spare said opponent. Little Leia's actress did a good job and so did McGregor, but the writing was horrible all the way through.

Even the final Vader vs Obi-Wan showdown was just a much, much worse version of Vader vs Ahsoka from Rebels.
Star Wars has done that for the longest time. So many characters have insane plot armor. I just expect it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Star Wars has done that for the longest time. So many characters have insane plot armor. I just expect it.
Obi-Wan was one of the worst cases. The writing on that show is worse than the prequels. Maybe not as bad as the sequels, but really bad.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Eps were fine...I'll keep watching.

The plot devices were stretching things for me already. Dumb decisions by good guys and bad guys.

Twi'lek General is not working for me so far. The droids...hm, it's a common problem with recent Star Wars. I'd have to think about it a little more to articulate my complaint, but one is, why is Chopper just speaking muffled English?

The rest I'm fine with so far, how many episodes is this supposed to be?

famicommander

15 Year Member

The plot devices were stretching things for me already. Dumb decisions by good guys and bad guys.

Twi'lek General is not working for me so far. The droids...hm, it's a common problem with recent Star Wars. I'd have to think about it a little more to articulate my complaint, but one is, why is Chopper just speaking muffled English?

8 episodes.

Hera is a great character. She'll grow on you. She's one of the most complex characters in Star Wars.

Fygee

20 Year Member

I highly recommend watching Rebels. There's a ton of back story for the characters you're missing out on.

I also vote for Inquisitor person to be Bariss. There's no way they're putting a mask on that person with no talking without planning a big reveal, and that would be a huge one.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
There's no way that's Ezra. That would make absolutely no sense at all.

Edit:
from the official description of the character
"Once an Inquisitor hunting Jedi for the Empire, the mysterious Marrok now works as a mercenary hired by Morgan Elsbeth to carry out dark deeds. Fully encased in battered battle armor, the warrior still carries a red double-bladed saber with a circular hilt."

Marrok worked for the Empire.

Screencrush has a bunch of theories, and the Ezra one lines up with what I was thinking.

The thing that was odd was that I noticed Marrok's helmet in the intro with all the flashing helmets. You see storm troopers, Vader's, Ezra's from Rebels, and Marroks.

All of the "good" side characters flash blue, the evil ones flash red.

Marrok's helmet flashes blue. Also he could have used the World between the Worlds to get back, or for all we know, he and Thrawn are back, but playing a long game and Morgan has no idea. OR... Ezra is playing the long long game and faking everyone into thinking he's evil so he can take down Thrawn.