New RPG for TG16 - Mysterious Song!

Keranu

n00b
Click here - http://www.frozenutopia.com/index.html

Pre-orders for the long awaited RPG "Mysterious Song" for the Turbo Grafx 16 Super CD are finally open! This is a full game complete with old skool, hand drawn cinematic sequences and voice acting [that doesn't suck!]. Slated for a March 1st, 2010 release. First 25 pre-orders come with a special collector's item.
msong-3.png

msong-cin2.png

msong-8.png

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm very interested, but the fact that it's a port of an existing PC RPG keeps me somewhat skeptical. I'll reserve judgement since I've played neither version.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I was excited until Neo Alec pointed out it's a port.

Still I'll support it!

Since this is only the beginning, hopefully an original release is also in the works.

How can you tell if you're one of the first 25 pre-orders?

Last edited:

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
Jut so everyone knows, the play testers over at pcenginefx seemed to have a hoot playing this. The game now features a balanced mode so you don't need to spend an eternity grinding in order to play it. Please wait and judge this version on it's own merits. A lot of work and thought has gone into this project.

Keranu

n00b
Thanks for all the support!

I want to clarify that this is NOT simply just a port of a PC game. The tiles have been totally reworked and look far better (and less generic) and resemble something more similar to a SNES Final Fantasy game. The sprites have also been re-shaded and colored to look more natural instead of pillow-shaded like in the original. There are also a bunch of other new graphics too.

MSR (Mysterious Song Revised, as we call it) also features hand drawn cinematics similar to other Turbo and Sega CD games complete with voice acting, which was totally absent in the original, and the artist did an amazing job. There are also extra features including a bestiary, armory, and art gallery which unlock things in the game as you play. There are also hidden features among the game, which I can't disclose at the moment, but one of them is a nifty little game ;) .

One of the biggest key differences though are new dungeons, specifically an extra one after completing the game. The dungeon is MASSIVE and reveals secrets of the storyline and includes multiple new boss fights and weapons/armor. Beating this will unlock that little game I mentioned :) .

I was excited until Neo Alec pointed out it's a port.

Still I'll support it!

Since this is only the beginning, hopefully an original release is also in the works.

How can you tell if you're one of the first 25 pre-orders?
There's nothing on the site that says how many were sold yet, but it's currently up to 19 pre-orders. Don't worry though, we're likely going to bump the collector's item up to 50 pre-orders.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Thanks for all the support!

I want to clarify that this is NOT simply just a port of a PC game. The tiles have been totally reworked and look far better (and less generic) and resemble something more similar to a SNES Final Fantasy game. The sprites have also been re-shaded and colored to look more natural instead of pillow-shaded like in the original. There are also a bunch of other new graphics too.

MSR (Mysterious Song Revised, as we call it) also features hand drawn cinematics similar to other Turbo and Sega CD games complete with voice acting, which was totally absent in the original, and the artist did an amazing job. There are also extra features including a bestiary, armory, and art gallery which unlock things in the game as you play. There are also hidden features among the game, which I can't disclose at the moment, but one of them is a nifty little game ;) .

One of the biggest key differences though are new dungeons, specifically an extra one after completing the game. The dungeon is MASSIVE and reveals secrets of the storyline and includes multiple new boss fights and weapons/armor. Beating this will unlock that little game I mentioned :) .

There's nothing on the site that says how many were sold yet, but it's currently up to 19 pre-orders. Don't worry though, we're likely going to bump the collector's item up to 50 pre-orders.

I'm one of the 19 then:buttrock:

It's not like I would have cancelled the order or anything!

Thank you for the clarification on the features you've added.

It sounds awesome and I really enjoy old-school rpg's.

I'm looking forward to this release:D

Keranu

n00b
Thank you very much for your support! Proceeds will fund the pressing of this game and future titles to come.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Thanks for the clarification. I figured the tiles at least had to be redone to make them work on the PC Engine. You generally wouldn't be able to do a straight port from something that was designed in 1999 for PC. I'm gonna preorder.

Keranu

n00b
Thanks for the clarification. I figured the tiles at least had to be redone to make them work on the PC Engine. You generally wouldn't be able to do a straight port from something that was designed in 1999 for PC. I'm gonna preorder.
Thank you very much for the pre-order! And yeah the tiles had to be redone for size reasons... I believe the original were some weird size like 20x20, so we stuck with the PCE's 16x16 limit. Thank god they were redone now as Lord_Cack, our tile artist, did a superb job drawing them!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Pre-ordered! Gotta give some Turbo CD love! hope I'm not too late for the bonus.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Damn man, I bought Last Hope for NGCD, the POKEY version of Beef Drop for Atari 7800, Zaku for Lynx, pre-ordered Pier Solar and Mysterious Song. I never would have expected it, but I'm a homebrew whore now. I still have more Atari homebrews to buy. There's something exciting about it.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
If you dig homebrew and you dig the Turbografx, then be sure to check out Insanity as well ( it's available now :D )

http://www.aetherbyte.com/insanity.htm

I think there are vids on youtube as well, but I'm too lazy to link. My roommates and I have been having a great time fighting for high score though.

Anyways, free bump for Mysterious Song!

Keranu

n00b
If you dig homebrew and you dig the Turbografx, then be sure to check out Insanity as well ( it's available now :D )

http://www.aetherbyte.com/insanity.htm

I think there are vids on youtube as well, but I'm too lazy to link. My roommates and I have been having a great time fighting for high score though.

Anyways, free bump for Mysterious Song!
Yeah Insanity kicks ass! There's a video of an old beta version here with an awesome PSG rendition of Mr. Roboto :D .

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Necro-bump

I pre-ordered this so long ago I had forgotten about it.

The website says it should be released soon!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If I had a Turbo Engine CD of some sort, I'd buy this... But since I don't plan on buying the system anytime soon, it'd be rather silly to buy this game. Besides, I've got lots of RPGs to play. Good luck with the project!

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
Yeah, unfortunately it has been a long time coming. But the guys that have been really grinding out lately say it is DONE~~

Just a few last bugs to be taken care of, and the pressing of discs!! It might be a long shot, but I'm hoping for an Xmas week release!

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I just wish I'd get some kind of eMail update. Just to acknowledge my pre-order status.

At least I do still have the Paypal notification of payment.

Last edited:

Nodtveidt

n00b
Just letting everyone know that the game took longer at the manufacturer than expected, but it is indeed finished and is now shipping. :) Here's what it looks like:

77v49.jpg

lLJvw.jpg

LoSJk.jpg

G45hl.jpg

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I can't wait for my copy to finally arrive! I've been waiting soooo long!

Last edited: