New Retro Gaming Mag: Manci Games now available!

'ello all,

{First off, I hope this isn't against any of the rules or anything, I'm not try to be a nuisance or anything, just thought as this is a board for the Neo Geo, that many here would be into the whole retro scene.}

Just thought I'd post this for those who may be interested:

Manci Games, a retro gaming magazine is now available!!! The website is located here:

http://www.mancigames.com/

It's available in single issues, or by subscription via online retailers or Manci Games itself.

Here's a review of the first issue:

http://www.hooligansofthenight.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News& amp;file=article&sid=22&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

I've got the first issue, and it's pretty hip. I mean, if you're into the whole retrogaming thing, it's definitely your only real choice for a print magazine.

If anyone happens to pick up an issue, let me know what you think. They have a review of Garou: Mark of the Wolves in the first issue, with further Neo stuff to come. :)

Bel

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Yeah, I just got my first issue in the mail yesterday - I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the prices for the Neo are a bit off - the authors should probably just check the prices guides here at ng.com.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the first issue - lots of great retro reviews, interviews, etc.

Cool, yeah I thought it was pretty hip too. I was really surprised to see the Garou review, thought that was just really cool to have it in there.

Hopefully we'll be seeing somemore Neo Geo reviews in the future as well.

Bel

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
My ish came yesterday. The mag has lots of potential but I feel the articles need some work as some of the writing was.....meh. Pretty decent first effort.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Yup my first issue came yesterday as well. Not a bad mag still not much content yet but really good articles on the classic gameing and home brew scene. It has a great feel to it it reminds me of the early 90 gaming magazines with the look and feel.
I give it thumbs up and plan on sending them an email with my feed back like they requested.

Yeah, and with all first issues/initial efforts, things will continously get better and better. Issue 2 should be better than issue 1, issue 3 better than 2, so on and so forth.

The page count will also go up with each issue, so that'll be a good thing. I was pleasantly surprised that almost every ad in the mag(the few that there are) were ads for stuff *I* was actually interested in(for a change).

Bel

Youkai

Hardened Shock Trooper
Nice!

I hope this makes newstands, and magazine racks sometime soon.

Last edited:
It's availablity in retail shops is very limited right now, but should get better in the future. Right now, if can be bought at two places online, in single issue bits, or you can subscribe as well. Check out the Manci Games site, in the "Retailers" section. :)

Bel

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
So, since it's out and all...

Gotta ask.. how did you like the Garou review?

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Just got my issue as well. I just skimmed through, so I'll give my thoughts after I read it!

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
VanillaThunder said:
So, since it's out and all...

Gotta ask.. how did you like the Garou review?

The reviewer praised the game, but after reading it one can ask, "why exactly did he like it?" due to the fact that he didnt get into details. Its as though he assumes the reader knows about the game already..if so, whats the point of the review?

*No explaination of what Just Defend does (ie, prevents Guard Crush damage, creates chance for a Guard Cancel).

*No mention of the # of characters or how they play other than Terry

*No mention of Fatal Fury. I guess the reader is supposed to infer that Garou is connected to FF by the mentioning of the line sway and Terry Bogard, but still....

*He calls it a "technical fighter" but doesnt mention feints and breaking.

If I were his editor, he'd have a rewrite coming.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
jaydubnb said:
The reviewer praised the game, but after reading it one can ask, "why exactly did he like it?" due to the fact that he didnt get into details. Its as though he assumes the reader knows about the game already..if so, whats the point of the review?

*No explaination of what Just Defend does (ie, prevents Guard Crush damage, creates chance for a Guard Cancel).

*No mention of Fatal Fury. I guess the reader is supposed to infer that Garou is connected to FF by the mentioning of the line sway and Terry Bogard, but still....

tough crowd :).

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
jaydubnb said:
[/i]

I think that was covered pretty well. It's a very good and fast one-on-one fighter

Just Defend = Parrying covered.

Maybe if the writer had more space he'd get into specifics.

Garou Densetsu = Fatal Fury's Jap name. Those titles were covered in the review if I remember correctly. ;)

I guess if you only had 750 words to use to cover a game, you'd hae to cut some facets out.

The editor liked it enough to print it.. that should say enough.

;)

(P.S. Critique Taken.)

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
I'm having problems subscribing to this magazine using paypal, anybody else having these problems?

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
VanillaThunder said:
jaydubnb said:
[/i]

I think that was covered pretty well. It's a very good and fast one-on-one fighter

Just Defend = Parrying covered.

Maybe if the writer had more space he'd get into specifics.

Garou Densetsu = Fatal Fury's Jap name. Those titles were covered in the review if I remember correctly. ;)

I guess if you only had 750 words to use to cover a game, you'd hae to cut some facets out.

The editor liked it enough to print it.. that should say enough.

;)

(P.S. Critique Taken.)

Yeah, I know that parrying was covered and that Garou = Fatal Fury, but I was reading the review from the perspective of someone who is new/casual to fighting game arena and may not recognize the connections/terminology. Not to say that the review was bad, it wasn't, I just think a lil' trimming + brief mentioning of the things I pointed out would've been more insightful to the virgin Garou player.

IMTheWalrus said:
I'm having problems subscribing to this magazine using paypal, anybody else having these problems?

Hmmmmmm, I will get a hold of Jayson, and see what's going on. Will post back here with contact info or a possible solution. :)

Bel

Logicdustbin said:
I subscribed to this mag a couple months ago, I have not got mine yet:(

I will try to get some info for you to contact the mag, try to clear it up for you. :) Sorry about that. I am guessing that it's still en route to your mailbox. The first issue is being mailed now, and all will be mailed by March 31st(today). I'd give it another few days, just to be safe...

Bel

Last edited:
Ok, just talked to Jayson...

For anyone having issues with subscribing, or have not received their first issue yet, if you could send an email to:

subscribe@mancigames.com

Just let them know what the problem is, like if you're having issues via Paypal, what it's doing, etc. On the first issue's arrival, again, they just start shipping about a few days ago, apparently, and the rest will be shipped by today...so you may want to give it a few more days, but feel free to email any concerns past that. :)

Bel

Last edited:

redrum666

Mai's Apprentice
the email they sent me today sez you can mail a check or money order to:

Manci Games
P.O. Box 403
Bath, OH 44210-0403