New Project: Snaplocking Shockbox

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i still say the genny clamshell is what you should be shooting for.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I apologize in advance if I sound like a dick in this post.

I think this would have been good 7 years ago but not now.

If you want it to sell nowadays it would need to be a dual purpose shock box that can fit both MVS and AES carts.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I apologize in advance if I sound like a dick in this post.

I think this would have been good 7 years ago but not now.

If you want it to sell nowadays it would need to be a dual purpose shock box that can fit both MVS and AES carts.

Nah, don't sweat it. Telling it straight is how it should be.

Getting a dual purpose shock is the tricky part. An AES cart fits well in the current shock but with a little room to spare at the top. I was planning to do a slight stagger to get two "slots" in them but their lengthwise dimensions are nearly the same. I'll have to go back to staring at them for a few more hours and hope for the best.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i dunno- a dual purpose clamshell could be achieved with a couple of sliding tabs to account for the different sized carts.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
i dunno- a dual purpose clamshell could be achieved with a couple of sliding tabs to account for the different sized carts.

That's not a bad idea but ideally I'd want a single piece design to keep the number of pieces to a minimum. Post processing is more or less the same cost no matter how large the part.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I would probably order some if you could get the size down. I don't really like the bulky design of the current shockboxes. I would sacrifice not being able to store the art if it meant a small case. If these end up costing more than $15, it will also be a real tough sell.

Last edited:

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I would probably order some if you could get the size down. I don't really like the bulky design of the current shockboxes. I would sacrifice not being able to store the art if it meant a small case. If these end up costing more than $15, it will also be a real tough sell.

Maybe something as tall as a DVD case then? Just leave enough room for a cart and that's it? The only reason I wouldn't know if that's an idea for me though would be because I'd have to keep track of all the other art pieces elsewhere...Basically I'm saying I'm lazy :p

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

There is a little bit of extra height in the shockbox that could be trimmed without resizing the artwork.

Shockbox height: 249mm
Trimmed height: 237mm
AES snaplock height: 220mm

(Yeah, I like using metric)

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
There is a little bit of extra height in the shockbox that could be trimmed without resizing the artwork.

Shockbox height: 249mm
Trimmed height: 237mm
AES snaplock height: 220mm

(Yeah, I like using metric)

Metric is boss though. Get those fine measurements easily with them. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Canadian ;)

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
i'd make them the exact same size as the homecart cases. that way you could combine both collections, which should be a nice option for those who own a few homecarts but bought some of the pricier games like blazing star and metal slug on mvs.

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
I think this is cool idea but having to replace the shockboxes ive already bought would be a pain , Im very interested in a AES style cart replacment though that would fit in a shockbox

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
It's been put on hold until I finish up the next two projects in the pipeline. It's also a logistical (storage) nightmare that I need to figure out as well.

Teddyboy16

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'd rather have the MVS cart shell design that you where talking about in the other thread. The original MVS shells are efficient, but they are butt ugly. I like the cart shell design that you did. Ideally I think people would best be served with a universal snap lock case, or at the very least a new aes snap lock case. This is really a small market so a dual purpose case would get the most bang for the buck. Speaking for myself, I would probably not buy a new shock box snap lock case for $15 even if it was universal. Thats quite a bit of money for a case. If i could buy them at $10, that would be tempting.

Do you already have a base picked out?

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
I think there is a market for a universal cart case. The AES cases that I have are really falling apart and the new ones on ebay (old style) are 19 USD, not to mention that the snap lock type (whenever it appears) usually sell between 40-50 USD .
Anyhow, I bet these will be made sooner or later. It is just a matter of time.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I like the idea to have a box that will also hold art safely inside. I'm with cdamm, I have some pretty nice artsets that are not that common and probably worth a lot more than the games themselves ;) Being able to protect them with the cart would make me buy some of these at the very least. I have 120 games in Shockboxes now, though... Rebuying these for my whole library would probably not be happening, but who knows. 10 to 20 here or there and I may find I have to get all 120 games in them. Very cool idea, but I have to sort of side with Big Bear and Xian Xi on this one... The money probably isn't there for the MVS market. If these do get made and are pretty rockin', I'll be buying a few for sure.

Teddyboy16

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I agree that there is a market for a universal snap lock case. Especially for boutique devs that would need them for there games. When ever I get a new AES game with a ratty case, I'll usually pick up a couple cases on eBay. I hate paying the $19 bucks for each one but I don't have much choice.

It really depends on what his priorities are. I'm a M.E. and part design for plastic injection molding is part of what I do for a living, so I know that tooling isn't cheap.

Why oh why do I have to have expensive hobbies! :)

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Problem with the SNK snaplock cases is that if you open and close it too many times, the tab will fall off. Hopefully this one is made a lot tougher.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Problem with the SNK snaplock cases is that if you open and close it too many times, the tab will fall off. Hopefully this one is made a lot tougher.

LOL, are you playing your AES games? Are you nuts?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nah, don't sweat it. Telling it straight is how it should be.

Getting a dual purpose shock is the tricky part. An AES cart fits well in the current shock but with a little room to spare at the top. I was planning to do a slight stagger to get two "slots" in them but their lengthwise dimensions are nearly the same. I'll have to go back to staring at them for a few more hours and hope for the best.

Comparing the two carts, you can definitely make a snaplock that can work for both.

AES: ~189mm x 144mm
MVS: ~188mm x 147mm

So one that has a cavity of ~190mm x 148mm with a notch on the side should work well for both.

alsmoneo

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I would be interested in buying them, as long as the shipping isn't too bad.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
Comparing the two carts, you can definitely make a snaplock that can work for both.

AES: ~189mm x 144mm
MVS: ~188mm x 147mm

So one that has a cavity of ~190mm x 148mm with a notch on the side should work well for both]

For some reason, I had never tried to fit an AES cart into a shock box. I tried it last night and it actually fits well, except that the AES cart is a little loose inside but no biggie.