New NGDEV Neo-Geo Game: Razion

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
I don't feel like reading through all 25 pages, but, does anyone else have an issue playing this MVS game with an MVS->AES converter on the AES console? I can get to stage 3 just fine, but after I beat stage 3 boss the game reboots to the title screen. This seems to be the only game on the MVS that has troubles with my converter so far, and I do own all the NG Dev Team games on MVS, (and AES). If anyone else plays this MVS cart on the AES using a converter and has input on this, please let me know.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I don't feel like reading through all 25 pages, but, does anyone else have an issue playing this MVS game with an MVS->AES converter on the AES console? I can get to stage 3 just fine, but after I beat stage 3 boss the game reboots to the title screen. This seems to be the only game on the MVS that has troubles with my converter so far, and I do own all the NG Dev Team games on MVS, (and AES). If anyone else plays this MVS cart on the AES using a converter and has input on this, please let me know.

Which converter are you using? on mine (Magic Key MVS) won't even pass the "PLEASE WAiT" screen. Anyway, if you want to play NGDevTeam's releases on AES, I think you gotta wait for them to release the AES version.

Regards.

Fakk2

Which converter are you using? on mine (Magic Key MVS) won't even pass the "PLEASE WAiT" screen. Anyway, if you want to play NGDevTeam's releases on AES, I think you gotta wait for them to release the AES version.

Regards.

I am using the upgraded Pranslation, which is basically the Daedalus Converter. It plays every single NG Dev Team MVS game without a problem, so I think this is software related that the NGDevTeam can fix with an update to the game and I have informed them about this already, I was just checking in to see if anyone else had this issue. You either need to get Daedalus, or get your converter updated to work with all existing carts.

I have this game pre-ordered for the AES version also, but, I play all the MVS carts using a converter, the AES is for collecting. If I absolutely HAVE to play this ONE game on AES, that will be a pain in the ass constantly taking the fucking top off the AES console just to play this ONE game. Ugghhh... I will wait for them to fix the bug and just update the game to work with this converter. If I have to send my converter to DG to get this working, I will do that as well. Anything to save myself from having to play my AES carts on my damn console. :D

So anyways, does anyone with an updated converter or a Daedalus have this problem also? The game is pretty nice until the damn bug takes place. Considering I can play Fast Striker on my converter all the way though, as well as Gunlord and Pink Bullets etc etc, I think this absolutely has to be game related and not converter related. Perhaps I need to just contact David and ask him whats up? So far I have not heard anything from the NG Dev Team about this.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Might be time to invest in a CMVS. If you can afford NGDev games, it shouldn't be much of a stretch :D

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Got my cart today! Game is beautiful, seems a lot harder than their last couple shmups. Soundtrack is off the chain. Final boss is very anti climactic though.

Fakk2

Might be time to invest in a CMVS. If you can afford NGDev games, it shouldn't be much of a stretch :D

If I wanted or liked CMVS's I would have bought one years ago. I have a cab, but even then I prefer the AES/Converter combo. The converters I own play every game on MVS ever made, so what good is a CMVS? My AES has all the mods, component video, optical sound output, unibios, etc etc... so I would need a CMVS for? What, one game? :D I will wait for the bug to get fixed. ;) Thanks for the suggestion though. If I didn't know about the CMVS, I might be interested in one. My main problem is that I don't want to scuff/scratch any of my games, not even the MVS carts, so to do that is easiest to play them on a converter. Then nothing gets damaged other than the converter.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Mine arrived today! Sat in a box for the better portion of the day, but I finally popped it in around 2AM and DANG! This game is great! The bullet patterns are interesting and the stages are pretty sweet. It's a shame the presentation on the small things like the menus and intro movie seem so hastily constructed, because the game is quite nice to look at and the soundtrack is excellent, I really feel like it detracts. A game with solid gameplay should have presentation that doesn't embarrass it, but in the end I guess it doesn't matter too much.

I really didn't know how to feel about Razion when they announced it, but now I'm very glad I didn't skip this one. I'll be playing it for a while.

Bonga7

Zero's Secretary
Reading all the positive reviews is indeed great. Glad I bought one, can't wait to try it out

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Guess I'm the only one to play actual Fast Striker and Gunlord homecarts on a neo geo console. Insertion marks be damned. XD

T. J.エs shanty

Zero's Secretary
Guess I'm the only one to play actual Fast Striker and Gunlord homecarts on a neo geo console. Insertion marks be damned. XD

Maybe concerning Fast Striker and Gunlord, but I play my Neo XYX homecart just the same as every other homecart that I own, too... I never understood the fear of insertion marks.

daijiro_074

Crazed MVS Addict
Looks like a nice game, i have not bought it but i was watching videos and i think it is the best shmups programmed for NG:Dev.Team.

I would like to play it in the future.

Fakk2

Well, I tested RAZION using a new version of the Unibios, and apparently that fixed the problem with the game, or so it seems. I was able to play all the way through using the MVS->AES converter (updated Pranslation), and there was not a single issue with the game. Pretty damn great game, shame that the intro is dull, the last stage is ... well...plain as fuck, and the ending is, um, a few words, and a picture. If they would stop rushing their games and just stop to polish it up, their games would outshine the rest of the Neo library so easily.

The graphics are, for the lack of a better word, paramount, on most of the stages, and the bosses are pretty damn good in comparison to any of their other shooters. Even Pulstar and Blazing Star have a hard time holding up to the graphics of this game. The few gripes that I have about the graphics are the explosions. Like the basic explosion of the main ship is weak compared to Pulstars. The explosions of the enemys is not very detailed, and I am always expecting shit like the huge explosions found in Strikers 1945 PLUS, but, I hope the NG Dev Team will get better in the future. With each passing game, they are getting better, I feel. I really WISH that they did something with the final stage. The parallax scrolling is gone, and all we are left with is just a flat BG with nothing at all to keep us entertained other than enemy's to destroy, and bullets to dodge. Otherwise I have no other real complaints.

The music is fantastic like usual, however, I feel like some of the music sounds like a dance hall at times. The soundtrack reminds me of Fast Striker in some ways, and I do wish that Rafael Dyll did the music for this game, as he seems the most talented of all the music composers NGDev have hired so far. Gunlord being the best Soundtrack a NGDevTeam has IMO, but, the soundtrack is a solid 8/10 performance for RAZION.

The controls are simplistic, easy to master, but the ship is a tad slow as others have mentioned. I wish there were speed ups in the game, along with power ups, and not just bonus cubes. Thank god it does not fucking say "Bonus, bonus, bonus, ya-hoo!" and shit like Blazing Star did, lol. I really wish this game felt a bit more, hmmmm, how to put it? Hectic? Not so damn smoothly moving in one direction... After playing R-Type III on SNES, I have been looking for something similar, but have not found it on the Neo. The game does have a nice speed to it though, at least each stage is not 15 seconds long like Aero Fighters was, and the soundtrack seems to be all there, and the stage moves slow enough to allow quite a bit of the music to play.

The hit box seems appropriate, not too big or small. I never feel like I get hit by nothing, or like I got fucked by not seeing it coming. So there are no cheap shots, although on Maniac mode, there is a LOT of bullets to look out for. Very cool game on Maniac mode.

Overall, it is a solid fucking game, really well made, and fun to play. The presentation of the C.E. Kits are outstanding, and has all the bonus shit I love with each of their releases. Overall, It is hard to top this one, but, in time I am sure that they will. Lets hope for a new style game soon, however, I know what they might release next, so if your tired of shooters, then I am sorry to disappoint you. Perhaps the Ikari game will come 2016. ;) I personally hope they make a sequel to Gunlord, my second fav game from them, and make it more of a Metroid style game without stages, and a lot of save spots! That would rock!

Oh well, I guess I need to email them and let them know that their game works fine as does all the others on proper converters. ;) After a little more testing, of coarse.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Thanks for your thoughts on Razion, I want the game now more than before.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
Haven't been able to follow the NG scene for a while now, but this game looks right up my alley. I really hope there is some reprint of this so I can snag one for MVS. Don't really care about the special editions.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
Oh.. just saw from their site:

"Next reprint is planned for earliest in 2016/2017"

:( I don't want to wait that long....

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Oh.. just saw from their site:

"Next reprint is planned for earliest in 2016/2017"

:( I don't want to wait that long....

At least there is one planned, there was a point where it seemed like a one time deal for all their games. I might order Pink Bullets if they reprint next year.

Also, the soundtrack for this game is awesome, I wish I had gotten the LE.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Well shit... Got my package. It was delivered to USPS from German post in "damaged condition", as the stamps on it said. It was soaked wet and one corner mangled.

Luckily, most of the contents are wrapped in some sort of plastic, but the posters were soaked and ruined.

PVtoOkHl.jpg

LE was in bubble wrap and shockbox, so it seems to have survived, but to add insult to injury the cart doesn't fit in my 2 slot. It barely scrapes past the new wider slot in the omega, but still super tight, and won't insert into the connector. I took the cover off my 2 slot in my cab, and the cart boards are spaced too far apart to fit in at all. The wooden cart is just too damn big to fit, and checking it against other wooden NG games confirms this.

I had to take the boards out of the cart to run it, and luckily the game is fun enough so far that I can partially forgive the shitty initial experience. Awesome music too! Maybe my favorite NG music, reminds me of Fast Striker.

I wrote NG Dev Team, hopefully they can remedy the cart situation!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Wow. That's bad. Maybe the wood has absorbed water and expanded?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Wow. That's bad. Maybe the wood has absorbed water and expanded?

It could be that or it could be some problem with manufacturing process. My Razion cart is also bigger than any other MVS carts I have, it is really hard to fit on my MVS Magic Key converter (it does not work, but that's another story) and I had to file the slot in my Omega for it to even fit. Gunlord's shell is the proper size, so I don't know what happened there.

Regards.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Well shit... Got my package. It was delivered to USPS from German post in "damaged condition", as the stamps on it said. It was soaked wet and one corner mangled.

Luckily, most of the contents are wrapped in some sort of plastic, but the posters were soaked and ruined.

PVtoOkHl.jpg

LE was in bubble wrap and shockbox, so it seems to have survived, but to add insult to injury the cart doesn't fit in my 2 slot. It barely scrapes past the new wider slot in the omega, but still super tight, and won't insert into the connector. I took the cover off my 2 slot in my cab, and the cart boards are spaced too far apart to fit in at all. The wooden cart is just too damn big to fit, and checking it against other wooden NG games confirms this.

I had to take the boards out of the cart to run it, and luckily the game is fun enough so far that I can partially forgive the shitty initial experience. Awesome music too! Maybe my favorite NG music, reminds me of Fast Striker.

I wrote NG Dev Team, hopefully they can remedy the cart situation!

That sucks, hopefully NGDev can help you out with some replacements.