New in depth review of KOF 2002 up at my site

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Here's the cover of Dino Stalker for anyone that hasn't seen it yet:

dino.jpg

Hiroaki is still with SNK... er, I mean Playmore. He illustrated the covers for King Of Fighters 2000 (DC and PS2), 2001 (Neo, DC, and possibly PS2), and 2002. Not only that, he also drew a few covers for Arcadia magazine late last year (when they were covering KOF 2002), as well as the cover to the KOF 2002 Arcadia Mook, not to mention both covers for the KOF 2001 manga anthology (both volumes). Link can be seen below:

<a href="http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/insaneben/lst?.dir=/King+Of+Fighters&.view=t" target="_blank">http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/insaneben/lst?.dir=/King+Of+Fighters&.view=t</a>

As you can see in the fourth picture, he also provided an illustration for the Guilty Gear X Plus Comic Anthology.

Shinkirou, sadly, left SNK after they went belly-up. He's currently working at Capcom; he drew the covers for Final Fight One, Super Ghosts and Goblins, and Dino Stalker (to be honest, his talents are going to waste; I expect to see him do some artwork for a high-profile game, or I'm pulling him back over to Playmore to have him personally kick Nona's ass).

As much as I'd love to do a review on your site, I'm afraid I don't have quite enough experience with KOF 2002 to write one as of yet. I'm back at college right now, so unfortunately, I won't be able to give the game another run-through until at least March. I could submit a small sample review and see if it meets your approval, though...

Anyways, I'll keep this rant going until I either run out of things to say, or Playmore adds a whole bunch of goodies to their KOF 2002 DC port. Guess which will happen first?

<small>[ January 17, 2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: insaneben ]</small>

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Ah Shinkirou, that's the name of the guy I was thinking of. I agree though, his talents arebeing somewhat wasted over at Capcom... would be nice if Playmore could get him to come back from the dark side :)

It's ok about the review - if you ever get time to do one then that is cool :)

BlkConvoy

n00b
Good Review overall. 4 things I would like to mention.

1) One thing that hasn't been mentioned that deserves recognition, is that Rugal's stage features a stage intro which hasn't been done since KOF96...! The intro is extremely similar to the Boss Team's intro in 96, and it is fitting to give such an intro to a boss character, especially the way the scene sets itself. A true KOF feel from the 94-96 days; definite props for whoever brought that back in the game.

2) I think a partial reason why 2002's music is a vast improvement over the previous year was because they seemed to have re-hired a composer by the name of Tate-Norio, who worked for Shinsekai Gakkyoku Zatsugidan (SNK Neo Geo's group of music composers until early 2001). He's done a lot of music for the KOF Series since 94, up to and including Fairy (I think), Rhythmic Hallucination, and the entire Arashi No Saxophone series. Hopefully, they'll get some other guys from the old group as well going forward.

3) The Cambodia Stage kicks serious @$$...almost sounds like a theme for the Ikari Warriors. The Japan stage does nothing for me, but to each their own.

I humbly respect the review given with no major gripes and concerns.

4) "Final Judgment"...! Sounds like someone I know :)

<small>[ January 19, 2003, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: BlkConvoy ]</small>

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Thanks for that - I may add that info about the music composer to the review actually as that is some good information! :)

Yeah, the Cambodia music is growing on me... I liked it anyway, but the more I hear it, the more I like it!

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Actually yeah... looks like the only KOF game Tate-Norio didn't work on was KOF 2001... :D

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
About Shinkirou, and I know I'll get my ass kicked for saying it, but I never cared too much for his art style. EVERYONE looks the same in the face. His style is a bit weird, and I don't mind that he's gone. Every time I see him, I'll think "SNK", but he's never really changed.

Spike

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel:
About Shinkirou, and I know I'll get my ass kicked for saying it, but I never cared too much for his art style. EVERYONE looks the same in the face. His style is a bit weird, and I don't mind that he's gone. Every time I see him, I'll think "SNK", but he's never really changed.

Spike
Actually you aren't the first person I have heard say that... I don't agree personally and I really like Shinkirou's art, but I do know other people that aren't too keen on it.

BlkConvoy

n00b
Kazuya_UK:
Actually yeah... looks like the only KOF game Tate-Norio didn't work on was KOF 2001... :D
Well, it wasn't just him doing the series...it was quite a few other people helping out on the music and such throughout the years. Each KOF has an excess of 3 composers per soundtrack every year from the music group specified in my previous post (Shinsekai Gakkyoku Zatsugidan), until 2001 reached the surface. Tate Norio is just one of at least 10 composers that contributed to the KOF series beforehand. I'll explain more when I return from bowling.

Strike!! smirk