New Holiday discoveries (toys, hobbies, traditions)

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Greetings,

Every holiday season we try to find new things to add to our existing traditions. I take 2 weeks off of work and each day we do something.

Many board game days - some days we'll do all-day campaigns, other days we'll do 2-3 hour co-op, others we'll do dexterity tournaments. We added a nice "Go!" set this year from Yellow Mountain.

One day we'll do an Animal Tree (make a bunch of animal ice-cubes and food blocks that we hang in a tree in the woods that animals flock to for a couple weeks).

This year we also began painting miniature models from our games that have them - Shadows Over Camelot, Zombicide and Blood Rage. (quick shade makes modest painting skills pretty legit!)

For years my wife has been wanting to do homemade ravioli - like she did as a kid. It's a 3-day commitment (a couple hours each day), so this year we finally tackled it. We ended with 140 ravioli (big, they double in size). (recipe and instruction on request)

dN0LeSE.jpg

Every year my wife gets me an instrument. She is very musical and does piano lessons, plays dulcimer, guitar, ukelele, etc. She's gotten me a few things over the years, bongos, djembe, harmonica, lap drum...this year was a Didgeridoo:

2qDQbFy.jpg

We always have a Lego day - each of us gets at least one new set. It took years, but Lego is finally making closeable boxes and lasting manuals:

O3YfTfC.jpg

My boys are getting more serious about their action figure collecting and playing - so we got them Clayface and Titan Joker this year - i'm blown away at the sheer size and articulation of these. If you're familiar with the Marvel Diamond Select line, where Abomination, Juggernaut and others are a full foot tall, weigh nearly 3 lbs...then you have a baseline. These new ones are massive - Clayface is nearly 5 lbs and 18" tall - just enormous:

UcfSVjg.jpg

HxRLwGN.jpg

0UbmMqR.jpg

These just are a few of the things we've expanded on or gotten into this year. The model painting is going to require some additional investment - we have good paints (army painter) but our brushes aren't going to cut it long term.

So, what traditions or new discoveries have you found?

Last edited:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
you must be the coolest dad I know!!!

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
So, what traditions or new discoveries have you found?

I went to a Christmas pot-luck and discovered that people really do eat spaghetti and syrup. Mind blown.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I have found I want to be your son Mike.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
This holiday season gave me some good downtime, so I decided to learn how to solder. I started on a little stoplight kit, but I did finish a Sega CD fuse fix. I can't wait to start replacing CPS2 batteries! It's not much, but eventually, I want to learn how to fix PCBs.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
This holiday season gave me some good downtime, so I decided to learn how to solder. I started on a little stoplight kit, but I did finish a Sega CD fuse fix. I can't wait to start replacing CPS2 batteries! It's not much, but eventually, I want to learn how to fix PCBs.

That's great. I look forward to this time of year to try things just like that. Soldering is one thing I never properly invested in - and it isn't a huge investment to get a good iron, but still i've used a $10 home depot iron instead of getting a Hakko or similar.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
That sounds awesome! I get 2 weeks every year at this time. I've spent the first week sick in bed. Hopefully not a tradition, lol. I hope to spend most of next week taking my kids to places outdoors that they've never been. Should be fun, seeing as it's supposed to rain next week.

Love the action figures. He's not the collector type though. He wants to play with toys and throw them around. We spent a good portion of the day putting my son's Lego ecto 1 together. Of course he thinks it's a regular toy and has broken it apart jumping it off the table, lol.

I'd like to start a tradition of taking the kids I've skating. None of us know how to skate, but my son really wants to give hockey a try. Thanks for picking a cheap sport son, haha. Funny thing, the only reason he get in live with hockey is his favorite movie is Happy Gilmore, lmao.

Oh, and crabbing. I would like to start a tradition of crabbing over winter break for Christmas dinner. Got the boat, got the gear, but not the health this year.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Those quick shades also do wonders for standard action figures. Keep that in mind when you want to make them look more gritty. Add some Agrax Earthshade.

Couple firsts or new traditions for me.
This was the first year I hosted an xmas feast. This is also the first time I did xmas without someone from my family. It's crazy to think I've done 37 years straight with my family in some form.
First time I cooked a giant 11lb Ham too. not too bad considering they are precooked, but I made it look pretty at least.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
I was really blown away with the quick shade on the zombie figures for Zombicide - i'm new to painting the miniatures; so was pretty meh about the work we'd done at first (compared to google images we'd been looking at) but once we did a quick shade bath and dry...wow. I'll look into the Agrax - thanks!

My wife and I both grew up with mothers who spend every holiday hosting and in the kitchen all day, and then all night doing the dishes and we both said we'd never do that. Now that we do some holidays with just us; we still do full meals, but we just skip the super intensive stuff. For Christmas, we go REALLY easy. I make a Christmas soup right when we get up and it simmers all day.

10 cups water
2lb Kielbasa in 1/2" rounds
5 celery stalks in 1/2" rounds
6 potatoes cubed in 1/2" pieces
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Feeds 8-10 - smells great all day. No maintenance. The kielbasa flavors the water into a really nice broth. It's incredibly easy, cheap, and filling - spend the day having fun instead of slaving in the kitchen. My wife is a baker by trade so while i'm doing that, she makes "Buche de Noel" (aka Yule Log). It refrigerates for 8 hours and is ready just in time for a dessert.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate

There are some great soldering lessons on youtube.
Just follow the videos and you learn fairly quick.

Learning to read circuits is a different story.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
I was really blown away with the quick shade on the zombie figures for Zombicide - i'm new to painting the miniatures; so was pretty meh about the work we'd done at first (compared to google images we'd been looking at) but once we did a quick shade bath and dry...wow. I'll look into the Agrax - thanks!

My wife and I both grew up with mothers who spend every holiday hosting and in the kitchen all day, and then all night doing the dishes and we both said we'd never do that. Now that we do some holidays with just us; we still do full meals, but we just skip the super intensive stuff. For Christmas, we go REALLY easy. I make a Christmas soup right when we get up and it simmers all day.

10 cups water
2lb Kielbasa in 1/2" rounds
5 celery stalks in 1/2" rounds
6 potatoes cubed in 1/2" pieces
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Feeds 8-10 - smells great all day. No maintenance. The kielbasa flavors the water into a really nice broth. It's incredibly easy, cheap, and filling - spend the day having fun instead of slaving in the kitchen. My wife is a baker by trade so while i'm doing that, she makes "Buche de Noel" (aka Yule Log). It refrigerates for 8 hours and is ready just in time for a dessert.

Sounds like you are a major part of a great family.
Why waste all your time slaving in a kitchen, when you can spend time having fun instead.

Or, like your raviolis, make them with the family/wife and your still spending quality time with the fam.

What are the raviolis filled with?

This year I'm going to learn to make tables and benches using Douglas fir. I bought a rustic bench for $220, and a table for $600.00. They look great and they get compliments, but I think I can make them for 1/4 the cost.

So I got a Hitachi miter saw, and a table saw to see if I can make them. Goal is to make a patio table and benches, for my backyard, and my parents backyard.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
There are some great soldering lessons on youtube.
Just follow the videos and you learn fairly quick.

Learning to read circuits is a different story.

Yeah, I've looked at videos, learning about basics and additional tools such as desoldering pumps. I need more experience for confidence, though, because my hands can get very shaky like I'm disarming a bomb.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
No school in January/early-mid Feb. Every year for the past four years have been planning on travel during this time period. Going back to the Philippines for a second time and Myanmar (Burma) in February. I dread the time when traveling willl no longer be an option.

mjmjr25 teach your boys how to cook. This is the ultimate skill of life. No matter your profession, every man should know how to cook.