New doctors

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
My current PCP is resigning (M is too much of a stoopid fook to deal with being his main complaint/reason to management I suppose), so, I have to choose another doctor. I looked at reviews, for physicians in my insurance's network, but, none really stand out as being any better or worse than another. I applied with a younger guy, in the hopes that he'll stick around for a while, and, while I've never met him, he does sign off on my chemotherapy sessions, as presiding doctor, because my prescribing neurologist, who authorizes them, works in a different hospital, so, he doesn't have practicing privileges at the facility where I see my current PCP and get said infusions. So, he's sort of my doctor already, even though he really isn't and we've never met, savvy?

Seeing new doctors always makes me nervous, because you never know what they might try to do, reversing or changing another doctor's diagnosis being my chief fear. Thoughts?

@M

20 Year Member
There was only one female option, the rest were all males. I did consider her, but, she also had the lowest rating, although her score wasn't terrible either--long wait times was the chief criticism, and that is something that irritates me, both for my own appointments and when I accompany residents at work on theirs.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Angel dust and younger guys-- this thread is certified GAY

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I just pick one from a list of names. they are all the same to me. With your condition, I can see the need to do some research.

Coincidentally, mine sent out his early retirement memo this week. He wants to hike the entire Appalachian trail while he's still able. childhood dream he says....

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I just pick one from a list of names. they are all the same to me. With your condition, I can see the need to do some research.

Coincidentally, mine sent out his early retirement memo this week. He wants to hike the entire Appalachian trail while he's still able. childhood dream he says....
hiked the appalachian as a kid. shitting in the woods is an overrated experience.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
hiked the appalachian as a kid. shitting in the woods is an overrated experience.
There's something appealing about shitting in the woods but then there's the digging of the hole, the uncomfortable squat wiping and the filling of the hole.

@M

20 Year Member
Joking aside, I don't know why mine is resigning. Sick of da UP maybe, I dunno. I'd say he's in his 30s, so, too young to retire.

As an aside, I had my 6-month checkup/cleaning at my dentist's office just now too, and they're so short-staffed, they couldn't book me for another one until April 2022!

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
My GI quit his practice and went to work for a venture capital firm.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Joking aside, I don't know why mine is resigning. Sick of da UP maybe, I dunno. I'd say he's in his 30s, so, too young to retire.

As an aside, I had my 6-month checkup/cleaning at my dentist's office just now too, and they're so short-staffed, they couldn't book me for another one until April 2022!
That's fucking terrible. I had to rebook mine 1.5 months from now just because of another stupid covid lockdown they're that busy.

@M

20 Year Member
Mine said they might be able to move it up if they can find another dental hygienist to hire, but, just, like my workplace, applicants are getting scarcer than roc's teeth...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

Quite interestingly. I just got out of my cleaning. interesting parallels we are having. Maybe I should go buy some walmart lego's....

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
There was only one female option, the rest were all males. I did consider her, but, she also had the lowest rating, although her score wasn't terrible either--long wait times was the chief criticism, and that is something that irritates me, both for my own appointments and when I accompany residents at work on theirs.
I wouldn't put much stock in doctor ratings. The people who actually bother to post that type of thing online are either the love them or hate them type. The vast majority are happy with their doctors and don't bother posting about it online.

Also, many people are after drugs, and they get belligerent about it if a doctor doesn't prescribe them what they want. And those are the types who would probably write up a review on one of those websites. I'm not a doctor, but my wife and several of my friends are, so I get to hear them vent about the drug chasers. Haha

Edit: also, regarding the long wait times, that just seems to be healthcare across the board right now. Be it dentist (as was already stated) or just a dang physical. If a doctor has short wait times and you can get right in, I'd worry that that might for a good reason.

@M

20 Year Member
I don't put a huge stock in doctor ratings, but, I like to get some kind of idea how they are and any potential issues. I generally stick with a doctor, even if they're only so-so, since switching and starting over again is a pain and there's no guarantee a new one will be any better, but, sometimes, like this, I have to swap whether I like it or not.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Feelin' ya on this one certainly M. Several years ago I had Kaiser Permanente for insurance. They assigned me to a new-ish female doctor when I first started with them, and I liked her, she had zero ego and would readily ask the other doctors for their opinions and was super laid-back. Then she left, so I got assigned to her replacement, a guy this time. For whatever reason, I stuck with him for maybe five years or so and then one day it dawned on me that he was a pretty shitty doctor, tended not to be able to solve issues and seemed entirely geared toward prevention, not fixing problems once they would come up (that seems common at Kaiser, but he was worse than usual). So I figured I'd change to someone else, picked a female doc at the same location who was taking new patients, and I generally liked her better. She was also the first doctor to suggest getting botox for my migraines.

Then we changed insurance at work, so I had to change again. Ended up with a doc who's incredibly intelligent and also can be kind of aloof (weird? Can't really pin down the right word), but the former quality makes the latter worth it.

I have one doctor I really like, she's a PA at a pain management clinic (botox for migraines), little older, super responsive, helpful, very good communicator.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I actually just lucked out with this issue. My doctor whom I really like moved her practice and I was afraid I was going to get stuck with her replacement. Fortunately she just moved about 10 min.

I dropped my dentist after he was getting ready to retire and his replacement started taking over. He was just not as good as the old one, he didn't have the personal connection. Very clinical. He looked like he just stepped off a soap opera set and the new assistants he brought in were all hot but it was like everyone was super attractive robots that just happened to practice dentistry.

@M

20 Year Member
I did ditch my previous dentist, and with good reason, he tried to charge me $4,000+ for three procedures that my insurance deemed clinically unnecessary, and because he was a participating provider with them, and couldn't provide any evidence that what he had done was necessary, I didn't have to pay and he had to eat the cost. Needless to say, I could never trust him again, so, I switched to a different dental clinic altogether.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Honestly, anymore (been on like 3x different plans these past ~2x years) my criteria is pretty simple: have them go to college in the fucking country I live in. You wouldn't believe how many go to college in 3rd world countries (Caribbean island nations especially). I'm sure they could be great doctors and all, but if you can't get into a college in the same country as you grew up in, and want to practice in, you might suck too.

After that when/if I have a choice I usually go with the older doctor - not like 60+, but not right out of school either. I want them to have a decent amount of experience at least.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I did ditch my previous dentist, and with good reason, he tried to charge me $4,000+ for three procedures that my insurance deemed clinically unnecessary, and because he was a participating provider with them, and couldn't provide any evidence that what he had done was necessary, I didn't have to pay and he had to eat the cost. Needless to say, I could never trust him again, so, I switched to a different dental clinic altogether.
Meh, if you think about it he didn't really eat anything except for giving you his time on three occasions.

@M

20 Year Member
Some sutures, but, otherwise, yeah, he was really only out time, and he did get paid a lot for the work that did legitimately need to be done, so, his time wasn't really wasted either. All the procedures were done in one lengthy session.