new dimm on a dell inspron 700m not recognized

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
i can't give you the details i dont' have the computer in front of me but my dads laptop only had 256mb of ram and was running about as fast as flowing glass due to constant thrashing(idk waht you call swap in windows?) so anyway he without telling me bought a stick of 512 wanted me to install it. i'm pretty sure it was ddr but idk if that laptop needs ddr2 or not. idk what speed it is. he had to leave for a buisness trip and only had like 10 mins here. i installed it in teh slot in the bottom of the computer and left the 256 stick in teh slot under the keyboard. i booted and noticed taht the bios did not recognize the new dimm of 512. but my dad had to leave right away. so what am i missing? 1 dimm fills 1 bank so i'm ok there. it could be faster than the fsb of his laptop but it should still be ablel to run at the slower speed. i'm sure i installed it right in the slot. maybe i shocked it with esd? i did't ground myself before touchig it . any ideas what to try? thanks and sorry if i missed something i'm sure i did.

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
Check crucial.com to see if the memory is compatible.

If you decide ram should be compatible. Try swapping them around. We had a dell at work that required the larger DIMM to be in the first slot. While this was a different model, its worth trying. It might also be worth upgrading the bios.

goingmerry

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Mawdsley said:

If you decide ram should be compatible. Try swapping them around. We had a dell at work that required the larger DIMM to be in the first slot. While this was a different model, its worth trying. It might also be worth upgrading the bios.
thanks and good call. when my dad gets back i'll swap them around i was gonna try that but he left to early. if that fails i'll flash the bios, i did't even think of that. thanks again.

pellucidity

Rugal's Thug
Mawdsley said:

Nice sig. I used to pass by Massive all the time on the way to Gloucester Green.

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
pellucidity said:
Nice sig. I used to pass by Massive all the time on the way to Gloucester Green.
Its shutting down (or shut down, havent been since I heard). Guess all the money is in digital now rather than vinyl. :(