New Analogue console: Mega SG

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I watched some reviews. The Game Gear games are still what interest me the most. But after watching, I'm not sure.

I know some will require the ability to tweak every little option in case they don't like things the way they are, but with all the volume and sound chip settings, they need to add a setting that just sets everything as close to original hardware as possible. Otherwise it'll be the same problem as the PC Engine Super System 3 -- I'll constantly be doubting the audio levels and veracity.

From what I've seen/read, they are aware of some issues and will be releasing firmware updates to fix them. I'd say this is likely since most of the reviews are pointing them out and it would make sense to keep on top of that to help push the product.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I dont feel like the Mega SG nor the Super NT have been overpriced.

Obviously from a bill of materials and shipping perspective it would seem overpriced, but you also have to keep in mind the money that shelled out for R&D and reverse engineering of the original hardware. Kevtris doesn't work for free.

All of that may be true but at the end of the day, you're still paying $250 for a clone system with no controller. It's boutique-y shit for hipsters with more money than sense.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
All of that may be true but at the end of the day, you're still paying $250 for a clone system with no controller. It's boutique-y shit for hipsters with more money than sense.

You don't get a fuckin controller for $250? :spock:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I watched some reviews. The Game Gear games are still what interest me the most. But after watching, I'm not sure.

I know some will require the ability to tweak every little option in case they don't like things the way they are, but with all the volume and sound chip settings, they need to add a setting that just sets everything as close to original hardware as possible. Otherwise it'll be the same problem as the PC Engine Super System 3 -- I'll constantly be doubting the audio levels and veracity.

I think that's what the defaulting settings are suppose to be. But the audio varies quite a bit between original system revisions so who's to say whats correct? It's all going to be preference.

The genesis audio debate is just like the SNES 1 chip shit. People act like the 1 chip is the only worthwhile SNES to own, meanwhile your trading graphical glitches for super sharp pixels

Personally I feel like people just need to play their games or find something else to do.

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist

Definitely picking up this console then!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The genesis audio debate is just like the SNES 1 chip shit. People act like the 1 chip is the only worthwhile SNES to own, meanwhile your trading graphical glitches for super sharp pixels

I'm glad someone agrees with me.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
You don't get a fuckin controller for $250? :spock:

The ghostly edition of the super nt was $250 and came with a controller. The mega sg is $189 with no controller.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I think that's what the defaulting settings are suppose to be. But the audio varies quite a bit between original system revisions so who's to say whats correct? It's all going to be preference.

Personally I feel like people just need to play their games or find something else to do.
Yeah, exactly. I think some presets, such as the ability to approximate an original model 1 would be nice. Perhaps another that is more akin to the audio bypass modders do these days.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
If there is an audio setting that is as good, or better than mega amp modded model 2 I will be happy

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Got mines yesterday, played a few games and messed around with it for a little bit. I also ordered the 8 bit do wireless controller to go along with it. So far everything is very smooth and very sharp. Probably the sharpest we will ever see genesis titles get. Sounds great too. Lots of different options I haven't even messed around with yet.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Eyeing up a white unit but I still have an original Japanese Model 1 and the Fei Hao Clone system in use. Lots of bad press about customer support on other forums, wrong consoles being shipped, delays etc.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Got mine today. Pretty fantastic. My other setups are hd retrovision cables on a model 1 or 2 going to an ossc and an iscan vp50pro or straight to a pvm. This looks just as good. Super happy for a simple alternative on a modern tv.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Eyeing up a white unit but I still have an original Japanese Model 1 and the Fei Hao Clone system in use. Lots of bad press about customer support on other forums, wrong consoles being shipped, delays etc.

It's funny you say that. Got mine in the mail today and the wrong color scheme was sent. Ordered the Japan color scheme and got the Pal one. Contemplating whether I should return it for the correct one or just keep this one. Afraid I might not get my replacement for a few months.

Been messing around with it and so far so good. Picture looks amazing.

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member

That Fei Hao Clone is still my favorite clone Genesis/MD (hands down). It was the best $60 (shipping included) that I spent a few years ago. My kids enjoy the system and I love the wireless controllers that were bundled with the system.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I have followed this system for a while now and Megadrive/Genesis is one of those systems I never really got a chance to play, though I would love to.
And sure, $250 is expensive but it seems to be a professionally created, well thought out console. I'd rather pay a large sum for quality.
If the Mega SG delivers, I will also get the Super NT.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Don't forget to update the firmware, then you'll get significantly more options including the different Yamaha sound chip options.

pva

Overtop Pathfinder
It's funny you say that. Got mine in the mail today and the wrong color scheme was sent. Ordered the Japan color scheme and got the Pal one. Contemplating whether I should return it for the correct one or just keep this one. Afraid I might not get my replacement for a few months.

Seems you're not the only one, either. At least half a dozen other customers have reported receiving the – according to Analogue – "rarer" EUR version instead of the JPN one they wanted in the ResetEra Mega Sg thread. I can't decide whether this is just their shipping company messing things up or a deliberate business move on their their part (ship the wrong console and hope the customer doesn't care enough to return it).

While I was lucky enough to receive the JPN colourway I originally ordered (I had an EUR Mega Drive BITD, but I think the JPN model matches better with the 8bitdo M30 controllers) I think they should've just included buttons of every colour in the box and have avoided the whole mess.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
That Fei Hao Clone is still my favorite clone Genesis/MD (hands down). It was the best $60 (shipping included) that I spent a few years ago. My kids enjoy the system and I love the wireless controllers that were bundled with the system.

Agreed. I thought the pack in controllers were going to be a bit shit, but they feel really responsive on a flatscreen TV. Definitely a good alternative for 60 bucks.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Out of curiosity, did anyone order the EUR color scheme on purpose?

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Been messing around with it and so far so good. Picture looks amazing.

you should contact them, ask them to send you a free controller or something for fucking up

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
you should contact them, ask them to send you a free controller or something for fucking up

I did and they got back to me a few hours later. They gave me the option to return it and wait about 2-3 weeks for the Japan Replacement or a $25 refund. I took the $25 refund.

Congrats to anyone who bought this and is enjoying it. I’m not a big enough fan of the Mega Drive/Genesis to buy one, but I own a Super Nt and I’m sure the Mega Sg delivers an equivalent experience.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Eh, I can just keep playing on my NGX.