NeoGeo X...now with scanlines?!

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Check this out. Plug your X into your docking station and connect to HDTV through HDMI. Power on and select a game. Hit L2 on the handheld. What you should see now is a smoother more crt like pic with scanlines! It is by no means perfect, but pretty cool anyway. Tried when hooked up through composite on crt and it smoothed things out and decreased the shakiness. Tearing is harder for me to notice in "smooth mode". For some reason when hooked up through composite on HDTV it doesn't shake, but it looks like a busted up vag.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
If only L2 would get rid of the color bleeding and washed-out graphics.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Do you just lurk this forum all day and wait for someone to say something vaguely positive so that you can post a snarky reply?

I mean, I think the system is overpriced and disappointing too but at some point you have to get the hell over it.

pipes

Do you just lurk this forum all day and wait for someone to say something vaguely positive so that you can post a snarky reply?
I mean, I think the system is overpriced and disappointing too but at some point you have to get the hell over it.

As I had mentioned in another thread, once I'm done going through all of the relevant sub-forums, I come here just to peak my head in to say hello. Do I like being here? No. Does it make my skin crawl? Absolutely. Am I doing a service to help keep other unsuspecting people from making the same mistake you did? Yes. Information is a good thing. We don't need people buying this garbage thinking they're really playing a Neo Geo. They need to know that a 23 year old system severely outperforms what you just bought in 2013.

Even I have to admit... you're trying way too damn hard.

Dude, see that's the thing, if it was difficult I would have been done with it ages ago. It's just too damn easy.

For instance, the pics below were taken directly from the FunStock Games facebook page (I did not add the text). This is how they are advertising the Neo X. How can you say I'm trying too hard? You can't make this shit up; it writes itself.

It's almost as if the retailers are laughing at you guys too. I'm just shooting fish in a barrel at this point.

943635_361250224002727_1522531980_n.jpg

998866_361558783971871_1697817116_n.jpg

995754_361313157329767_1693883116_n.jpg

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Making the same mistake I did?

Uh, I didn't buy one. I have an MVS, a Neo CD, a NGPC, a Saturn, and a Dreamcast for my SNK-related gaming.

My point is that everyone here is well aware of the shortcomings of the system. If people make the decision that those shortcomings are acceptable and they still want to buy and discuss the Neo Geo X Gold they should be allowed to. You're not rescuing anyone from the system, you're not bringing any new information to the table. You're just childishly and petulantly berating a small hunk of plastic because not everyone places the same importance on its flaws as you do.

I think games like Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty are the absolute worst examples of good game design in their respective genres. I consider them vaguely interactive movies with bad enemy AI, poor level design, automated platforming and shitty combat (in the case of the former two games). I believe they regard the player as an inconvenience to their contrived film-wannabe plots and fancy facial animations. I believe those things with every fiber of my being, and would much prefer if more people played games like Vanquish, Yakuza, Quake, or Ninja Gaiden Black instead.

But I do not presume that the people who play the games I don't like are idiots who were duped into buying them, and I don't hold it against them that they do not see the same value in Shinobi or Bayonetta is I do. You, on the other hand, do not seem to be able to accept that for some people the authentic Neo Geo experience is out of reach or not important enough to dedicate the time and resources to. Or that, despite better emulation options like Wii Virtual Console, Neo Geo Station, the GP2X systems, etc people might still prefer the X for reasons of their own.

And I certainly do not show up on Call of Duty forums to do nothing more than berate the players and trash the game.

Nobody is saying that the X plays games as well as our MVSs. They are saying that they understand that fact and are willing to buy it anyway.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Non-troll post:

That's actually interesting, I'll have to try it tonight. I wonder if this was something they were planning for the new update but for whatever reason didn't include as a final option. I'll have to give it a try.

I can't remember if I posted this already, but I hooked my X up to a Framemeister for the lulz a few days back, and with scanlines and a little color tweaking it looks pretty good. The screen tearing is a lot more noticeable, however.

pipes

... you're trying way too damn hard.

The "scanlines" are vertical...lollerz!

BK: No need to appologize big guy.

I read about the scanline fiasco last night and literally cried myself to sleep thinking of you guys.

Damn you Tommo! Why must you continue to pillage and desecrate the dignity of these poor bastards? Have you not bestowed enough misery, pain and heartache already? When will it end?

As my linguistically challenged buddy carnicero27 so famously put it long ago – “Tommo laugh in your face”. We really had no idea how true these words really were until now.

All of you are now left holding your dicks in one hand and selecting vertical scanlines with the other. Is this really what SNK had envisioned as the future of the Neo Geo 23+ years ago? Can L2 repair your shattered gaming universe?

X’ers, I have cleared my PM box in case any of you need someone to talk to.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I need to see some pics. Tried it last night, it flashes like it is doing something, but through HDMI on my tv it doesn't look any different.

Edit: nevermind I'm on an HD CRT so I guess I shouldn't be seeing any difference.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
chinese made bootleg scanlines.

reminds me of this:

iphone_stoves_1.jpg

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
BK: No need to appologize big guy.

I read about the scanline fiasco last night and literally cried myself to sleep thinking of you guys.

Damn you Tommo! Why must you continue to pillage and desecrate the dignity of these poor bastards? Have you not bestowed enough misery, pain and heartache already? When will it end?

As my linguistically challenged buddy carnicero27 so famously put it long ago – “Tommo laugh in your face”. We really had no idea how true these words really were until now.

All of you are now left holding your dicks in one hand and selecting vertical scanlines with the other. Is this really what SNK had envisioned as the future of the Neo Geo 23+ years ago? Can L2 repair your shattered gaming universe?

X’ers, I have cleared my PM box in case any of you need someone to talk to.

I love my X...but this post tickled my balls.

Making the same mistake I did?

Uh, I didn't buy one. I have an MVS, a Neo CD, a NGPC, a Saturn, and a Dreamcast for my SNK-related gaming.

My point is that everyone here is well aware of the shortcomings of the system. If people make the decision that those shortcomings are acceptable and they still want to buy and discuss the Neo Geo X Gold they should be allowed to. You're not rescuing anyone from the system, you're not bringing any new information to the table. You're just childishly and petulantly berating a small hunk of plastic because not everyone places the same importance on its flaws as you do.

I think games like Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty are the absolute worst examples of good game design in their respective genres. I consider them vaguely interactive movies with bad enemy AI, poor level design, automated platforming and shitty combat (in the case of the former two games). I believe they regard the player as an inconvenience to their contrived film-wannabe plots and fancy facial animations. I believe those things with every fiber of my being, and would much prefer if more people played games like Vanquish, Yakuza, Quake, or Ninja Gaiden Black instead.

But I do not presume that the people who play the games I don't like are idiots who were duped into buying them, and I don't hold it against them that they do not see the same value in Shinobi or Bayonetta is I do. You, on the other hand, do not seem to be able to accept that for some people the authentic Neo Geo experience is out of reach or not important enough to dedicate the time and resources to. Or that, despite better emulation options like Wii Virtual Console, Neo Geo Station, the GP2X systems, etc people might still prefer the X for reasons of their own.

And I certainly do not show up on Call of Duty forums to do nothing more than berate the players and trash the game.

Nobody is saying that the X plays games as well as our MVSs. They are saying that they understand that fact and are willing to buy it anyway.

I feel you dude. That's spot on the shape of my mind.