NeoBiosMasta: Introduction and Information (photo heavy) ORDERS OPEN

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
From everything I'm reading here, this is obviously a great product. Nice job. I'll have to get some if I do my 1C and CD systems.

One thing I do recommend, is removing the bottom metal shield from the CDz. Probably one of the big reasons why it is known to overheat. The shield is blocking any possible airflow from the three large-ish vents in the bottom of the system.
Interesting. I may have to try it. It would be helpful if someone could remove it and then confirm if their CDZ still overheats under the same conditions it used to. I will if I ever get back to the US, where all my stuff is. Or maybe there are already old threads discussing this and I just missed the boat.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The small green circles in the packet.... Do they serve any purpose?
Thanks.
BB

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
The small green circles in the packet.... Do they serve any purpose?
Thanks.
BB

They can help keep the wires down for those who don't solder. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but its better to just solder them down to the pads. I ran out and didn't re-order.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I was thinking hot glue but neither is really necessary as the wire is very pliable.
You ran out of green circles or biosmasta?
Thanks again man!:buttrock:
BB

They can help keep the wires down for those who don't solder. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but its better to just solder them down to the pads. I ran out and didn't re-order.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya it's better to solder them down anyway. Plus those green stickers only stick for so long. No need to re-order them.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Oh.. I thought you meant in addition to soldering down the pads... like the circles would hold the wires in place in addition to having the wire soldered down to the pads.
BB

Ya it's better to solder them down anyway. Plus those green stickers only stick for so long. No need to re-order them.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
I think the stickers were for people who were just sticking the wires in the holes, instead of soldering to the pads.

That's how I was using them, but it is easier to just solder the things down anyway.

jetblue

Crossed Swords Squire
wow,can you make one for AES?

im working on a project like this for aes ever since i got a tivo a few months ago and learned of a tivo mod chip that uses a double socket method:

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=259752&postcount=172

my adapter would of looked like the one in the attachment pic,messy and crude not as clean and pro like yours.

Its amazing how two people can be thinking and working on the same thing around the same time :eek:

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm new to this and I have a MV 1C board and I want to order the neobiomasta but, I want to know what is the 27C1024 Eprom and for what i need it?

Great thing you do this guys Im good soldering but this is great if you want to maintain the board intact. Kudos to you guys. Once I get the answer I make the order.

Have a nice day.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I'm new to this and I have a MV 1C board and I want to order the neobiomasta but, I want to know what is the 27C1024 Eprom and for what i need it?
The 27C1024 is what you use for the bios once the adapter board is installed. If you have a universe or debug bios, for example, that is on a 27C1024 and you would just plug that into the top of the adapter.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
So the unibios is the 27C1024 Eprom. Thanks for everything ordering now.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
So the unibios is the 27C1024 Eprom. Thanks for everything ordering now.

I can burn whatever you want on the eprom. If you want the free version of UniBios, or if you get your own license from Razoola.

Thanks for the order!

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
Can you really burn the unibios 3 on the Eprom the I'll order the Eprom from you too.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I can burn whatever you want on the eprom. If you want the free version of UniBios, or if you get your own license from Razoola.

So I take it that if I order a CD NBM and eprom that you'll put the latest build of the CD debug bios on it? I know it's not finished yet, but I just loaded it in an emulator and it already does what I want it to do, and swapping bios chips in the future is easy.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Can you really burn the unibios 3 on the Eprom the I'll order the Eprom from you too.

Sure, but you'll need to contact Raz to buy a license for it. Once you get that I'll burn it for you.

So I take it that if I order a CD NBM and eprom that you'll put the latest build of the CD debug bios on it? I know it's not finished yet, but I just loaded it in an emulator and it already does what I want it to do, and swapping bios chips in the future is easy.

Most definitely!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I got the NeoBiosMasta today (super fast!), and installation was easy, but I ran into an issue. Now, I don't claim to be the best solderer in the world, so this may be human error. I've got a toploader with a region switch.

I turn the system on, and the Neo logo comes up as normal, it goes to the CD player screen and does nothing. Turn the system on and off, and I get a text screen that says "RESET" at the top in large letters, a bunch of text in the middle (memory addresses?) and "PUSH START TO CONTINUE" at the bottom. Pushing start takes you to the CD player, but I can't get it to read any games except KOF 94. KOF is playable, but it's missing a layer of graphics and the character movement is twitchy.

I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly. I followed the PDF instructions, pushed the NBM onto the CPU and made sure it was secure, lifted pins 10 and 12, soldered the wire to the pad under pin 12, soldered pin 10 to pin 21. After it didn't work, I took it apart, reseated the NBM, used some braid to desolder the wires and resoldered everything a little bit better, and again I get the number screen on the second boot. I repeat this a few times trying to find my mistake.

I finally gave up, removed the NBM and jumper wire, and resoldered the pins to the pad and my system works perfectly. I'm getting really good at taking this thing apart, 10,000 screws and all. Any ideas?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I got the NeoBiosMasta today (super fast!), and installation was easy, but I ran into an issue. Now, I don't claim to be the best solderer in the world, so this may be human error. I've got a toploader with a region switch.

I turn the system on, and the Neo logo comes up as normal, it goes to the CD player screen and does nothing. Turn the system on and off, and I get a text screen that says "RESET" at the top in large letters, a bunch of text in the middle (memory addresses?) and "PUSH START TO CONTINUE" at the bottom. Pushing start takes you to the CD player, but I can't get it to read any games except KOF 94. KOF is playable, but it's missing a layer of graphics and the character movement is twitchy.

I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly. I followed the PDF instructions, pushed the NBM onto the CPU and made sure it was secure, lifted pins 10 and 12, soldered the wire to the pad under pin 12, soldered pin 10 to pin 21. After it didn't work, I took it apart, reseated the NBM, used some braid to desolder the wires and resoldered everything a little bit better, and again I get the number screen on the second boot. I repeat this a few times trying to find my mistake.

I finally gave up, removed the NBM and jumper wire, and resoldered the pins to the pad and my system works perfectly. I'm getting really good at taking this thing apart, 10,000 screws and all. Any ideas?

Last I heard was that it needed further testing as it works in the emulator fine but is having trouble with actual hardware.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
@GohanX: what board revision is your system out of curiosity? I had similar problems with CDM4-x PCBs, but it would even happen when a stock BIOS was burned. The difficulty reading games and all of that. But I know Murray and NTM have tested it on hardware and it seems to work fine for them. The CD drive seems to mess up based on revision and something I'm not aware of.

I'm assuming NTM tested the setup before sending it to you. What version was installed and what hardware was used?