Neo Store Recalls SS5S Carts

omnedon

Astra Superstar
For the good of the rest of us, I hope Raz and Finn can try something out. I realize that it is a selfish motivation, but it's what I hope still.

I have uni 1.3 socketed in my AES. If I could get full violence level 3, totally uncensored with a BIOS upgrade, I'd vastly prefer that over doing without my cart for X weeks, and possibly having it rendered less censored overall, but PERMANENTLY censored (with the possibility of the 'cutting' data literally removed on the eprom).

Hopefully we will have a time window we can exploit. I fear the window for recall may be too short. :oh_no:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
which cartridge?

Amano Jacu said:
It's funny, imagine they release a game for 359$ and all the first batch is defective and it doesn't work at all so they do a recall. Would collectors stick to it anyway? "Hey, I got the uber-rare version, the one that doesn't work, everybody else only has the common version that works, losers".

Gentlemen,

:mad:

Well, the truth is that YES, I do personally and strongly believe that the "untouched" (original) cartridge will become a "collector's item" and will someday be highly sought after and valuable. However, the "officially" corrected version of the cartridge will ALSO be "rare" and "wanted" by collectors as well.

:envy:

And since it is IMPOSSIBLE to determine with certainty which one of the two versions will end up becoming the "more desireable" and/or more "rare" (sometimes they are not one in the same btw) a TRUE "collector" is now FORCED to purchase BOTH copies (one of each kind) in order to ENSURE that he/she will not be making a mistake which will later come back to haunt them. That IS the sad reality of the "collecting" hobby. (in video games and anything else too)

:emb:

And now enters the REAL problem...

:oh_no:

Since MOST Neo-Geo home system owners (especially this many years after the systems release) are collectors by nature, this will translate into quite a few "double" purchases of this game. And this of course translates into a VERY EERIE scenario...it automatically causes the Samurai Shodown 5 Special home cartridge (both versions affected) to become SCARSE and "RARE" rather quickly. Basically, there will simply be LESS carts "available" then what would have "normally" been the case BECAUSE of the MANY double purchases which will now occurr. So...BRACE YOURSELVES...because REGARDLESS of which version you may want, it WILL be THAT MUCH HARDER to get a cartridge of this game.

:(

Lastly...for the record...I have not yet decided wether or not I will purchase the second revision if/when it is available. Chances are probably not as I am simply not motivated as I have lost interest and was very much looking forward to being DONE with "NEW" Neo-Geo games once and for all. But wether I do or do not, the cartridge which I have already purchased is LONG GONE and simply "not available" for return under ANY circumstances. Neither neo-geo.com nor snk-playmore is allowed anywhere near it. In fact, I don't even know where it is anymore. I must have lost it I guess. Oh well, thta makes it impossible to ever return then anyways, even if I wanted to. Too bad!

:rolleyes:

Thank you,
Billy Pitt

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Kazuki Dash said:
no need to make your mind up just yet finn, we'll get a better idea of what's going on with the new update from the NeoStore on Monday...what's one weekend?
;)

Well, actually it's two weeks from this monday to the monday after the 14th, so hopefully the NeoStore's return time is flexible.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
SuperGun said:
And since it is IMPOSSIBLE to determine with certainty which one of the two versions will end up becoming the "more desireable" and/or more "rare" (sometimes they are not one in the same btw) a TRUE "collector" is now FORCED to purchase BOTH copies (one of each kind) in order to ENSURE that he/she will not be making a mistake which will later come back to haunt them. That IS the sad reality of the "collecting" hobby. (in video games and anything else too)

Lastly...for the record...I have not yet decided wether or not I will purchase the second revision if/when it is available. Chances are probably not as I am simply not motivated as I have lost interest and was very much looking forward to being DONE with "NEW" Neo-Geo games once and for all. But wether I do or do not, the cartridge which I have already purchased is LONG GONE and simply "not available" for return under ANY circumstances. Neither neo-geo.com nor snk-playmore is allowed anywhere near it. In fact, I don't even know where it is anymore. I must have lost it I guess. Oh well, thta makes it impossible to ever return then anyways, even if I wanted to. Too bad!

Basically my exacts points.

I think I'll be sticking with the original alone cause it's... the original release. Untouched, first run.

Messing up and all is like altering. Call that corrected as you like, it's still messed-up and altered from its original release form.

SuperGun said:
Gentlemen,

<Shortened>....

Thank you,
Billy Pitt

Billy, frankly you made me realize, or at least reinforce a couple things to myself about this fiasco.

1.) Simply letting go of my SSVS English HC for return to get the updated version may not be as good of an idea as I thought. Holding onto it while I wait for news on the updated version may be a more prudent idea instead of upon faith should I just send it in and hope that SNKP really enabled all the original functionality as found in the MVS version. Perhaps I will keep it for now, and buy the updated cart also. Whether it makes good money sense to hold onto the original SSVS issue; time will tell. I'd hate myself if I parted with it, to find out it was worth > $500 or more later on. Shit maybe I should put it in a ziplock bag. No kidding here.

2.) Your points of ALL SSVS versions becoming rare IMO are true. We are gonna have what, 4 different versions of SSVS HC's? A collector's nightmare, and cashout all at the same time.

3.) You are also so right about how almost every NEO AES owner becomes a collector of some degree eventually.

Thanks for your level-headed thoughts and also for saying what people may just be thinking.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
the neo's officially dead and you are still caring about "omg it might be worth $764 in the future!!1!"

i dont think ss0special,corrected or not,is ever going to sky rocket in price

simply because people in general dont care about the game

people in general dont care about the neo geo

and you might reply with

yes fran but think about overtop or chibi

yes,but its a different situation,because a lot of people with little or no interested in the neo discovered those games were RARE in 2000 or so

when the neo market was in full bloom

now a lot of people are selling collections because only the ones who TRULY love this console and its games are going to keep em

why should you keep loads of pretty painted shells on your shelf now that collecting neo geo games isnt trendy or fashionable anymore?

i could never part with garou special,magician lord or kof 98

they are,in a way,a part of my life ( soft,eh? )

so play the damn game and dont worry about the "fatalities drama"

i believe 90 % of the guys who whine to no end now about the censorship didnt even know the "fatalities" were added in ss0special...

Eliza

Mickey's Coach
How about those who got the game from NCS?...Are the stocks of NCS from Shawn or from a dif supplier?

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Fran said:
so play the damn game and dont worry about the "fatalities drama"

i believe 90 % of the guys who whine to no end now about the censorship didnt even know the "fatalities" were added in ss0special...

I knew. EVERYONE knew. Because everytime someone asked "what's new in SSVS compared to SSV?" the answer was "The bosses are playable and there are fatalities". It was a MAJOR part of the hype.

I'm a newcomer to the Neo-scene (the door swings both ways, see?) and after falling in love with my MVS cab, I chose my first AES game to be SSVS. Too bad I got punished for being a loyal pre-orderer...

The game is FANTASTIC and I thougt it would have been worthy of an AES purchase. Now I hope I had waited for the MVS to become affordable (something in the lines of 359 $...).

I think, that practically all would be well, if they had just chopped the fatalities in the MVS version as well. But no, just the home version. The situation is almost unbearable.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Eliza said:
How about those who got the game from NCS?...Are the stocks of NCS from Shawn or from a dif supplier?

SHAWN

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Fran said:
now a lot of people are selling collections because only the ones who TRULY love this console and its games are going to keep em

why should you keep loads of pretty painted shells on your shelf now that collecting neo geo games isnt trendy or fashionable anymore?

My little bro always speaks truth :buttrock:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Electroman said:
Perhaps I will keep it for now, and buy the updated cart also. Whether it makes good money sense to hold onto the original SSVS issue; time will tell. I'd hate myself if I parted with it, to find out it was worth > $500 or more later on. Shit maybe I should put it in a ziplock bag. No kidding here.
This kind of thinking is so alien to me... Are you buying it just so you can sell it later, or are you buying it to play...?! If your whole point is just to make money off some poor sap later, there are a million better ways to spend your cash. Or is it just an excuse to justify your hobby? "Games are for kids." "But, mooooooom, they're worth money!" I honestly don't get it.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
This kind of thinking is so alien to me... Are you buying it just so you can sell it later, or are you buying it to play...?! If your whole point is just to make money off some poor sap later, there are a million better ways to spend your cash. Or is it just an excuse to justify your hobby? "Games are for kids." "But, mooooooom, they're worth money!" I honestly don't get it.

These are other words of wisdom.

As I once said, to spend shitloads of money on games CAUSE YOU LIKE 'EM may be 'stupid', but to spend shitloads of money on games AS AN INVESTMENT is *totally idiotic*-

As for Southtownkind, you may be a newbie as you stated somewhere else, but surely you speaks out of a full-working brain, my friend. More power to you.

Vince2K

Crazed MVS Addict
Ok, so at this point we have to kinds of buyers: players and collectors.

Players want the fixed release, and collectors seem to keep their first run...

But where the clues of collectors seems to be out of logic is that the first run is not the TRUE release. The only SSVS that is out, and trully respectfull of its programers is the MVS version.

Let's go straight to the point: SNKP has missed the opportunity to left the AES market with honor, and has to deal now with furious consumers. In the same time, programers of Yuki have done their best to make a good revision of a "not as good as it could have been" SSV. So who's the real moron in all this story? Who deserves credits?

IMO, two kind of people that deserves our respect: Yuki guys, and Shawn. And so, the only way for a true Neo fan (which can be a gamer and a collector, just a gamer, but not a collector alone :shame: ) to get the real AES issue, is to get the fixed version by Shawn.

Period.

SNKJorge

SouthtownKid said:

Electroman is a long time 'neogeo homecart investor'
and I thought I was the only investor in the forums (My actual profession).

Vince2K said:
Ok, so at this point we have to kinds of buyers: players and collectors.

Players want the fixed release, and collectors seem to keep their first run...

But where the clues of collectors seems to be out of logic is that the first run is not the TRUE release. The only SSVS that is out, and trully respectfull of its programers is the MVS version.

Thanks for pointing this out. :eye: :eye:

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Vince2K said:
IMO, two kind of people that deserves our respect: Yuki guys, and Shawn. And so, the only way for a true Neo fan (which can be a gamer and a collector, just a gamer, but not a collector alone :shame: ) to get the real AES issue, is to get the fixed version by Shawn.

Period.

No. Not "Period.".

If it turns out (like it seems) that SNKP will reinstate only part of the fatalities (no cutting), then the only option for a true Neo fan is to hope for a BIOS lockout or buy the complete MVS version.

The "fixed-but-not-quite-fixed"-version is a joke to true Neo fans, I'd imagine.

Period.

SNKJorge

MVS Version Full kit > Superior to homecart, sad but true :drool:

SouthtownKid said:

1991: I bought a NEO AES 14 years ago b/c it was the best. And I loved the games.

Through the mid 1990's I put my NEO away in storage thinking it was dead.

1998: I brought it out back from the attic to play it and still loved the games.

2003: I found neo-geo.com and got totally schooled on how these games got infinately better through the years I never played them, and woot woot... they are worth money too.

Lesson I learned: Being naive hurts the wallet.

I will keep my NEO b/c I love it. But to ignore the investment aspect of NEO games is, and no disrespect to anyone: naive and silly.

I want my cake and eat it too. Is it not wrong to buy a game ONLY when you find a bargain and sell it high when you don't want to play it anymore? This is the scope of my rationale.

That's all :)

xtoo_short20x said:
Electroman is a long time 'neogeo homecart investor'
and I thought I was the only investor in the forums (My actual profession).

Jorge understands me... :cool:

I think people like us may be misunderstood. My collection consists of 35 homecarts. This is alot to some, a meager amount to others. That doesn't matter. But the mentality that I have is simple business sense. Buy low, keep it as long as you get a return on it (in this case, its FUN) and sell it when you either 1.) need the money or 2.) when the fish are biting. Its common sense. And I don't feel bad for buyers in the least.... if they don't want to pay the money for it, then sorry:) Yea its unfair, and these games are rediculously priced I know, but there's nothing we can do to change that, but to just live with it.

SHO

Raiden's Valet
if you compare neo geo games with other arcade games cart or jamma boards, etc etc

i think neo geo carts are fairly cheap!

basically i say neo geo is the cheapest arcade quality system

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Electroman said:
I will keep my NEO b/c I love it. But to ignore the investment aspect of NEO games is, and no disrespect to anyone: naive and silly.

I want my cake and eat it too. Is it not wrong to buy a game ONLY when you find a bargain and sell it high when you don't want to play it anymore? This is the scope of my rationale.

That's all :)
I think it's naive and silly to buy a game you don't want in order to sell it for more later. If (we assume for a minute that) they will do a full fix of the cart, why would you consider keeping a messed up one? If you're a completist, or if you don't miss the fatalities or mind the bugs, that's one thing. But there are other things to invest in which offer a better chance of a good return. Anyone can do whatever they want, but unless I found myself suddenly in a cash desperate situation, I wouldn't sell I game I wasn't tired of. There are many things in this world I don't understand, and that's one of them.

But it's not that I want everyone to be into this stuff for the same reason I am. I'm just trying to understand.

motoslave

n00b
Eliza said:

Hi everyone, 1st post :buttrock: . I bought my SSVS cart from NCS, and emailed them yesterday, here was their response:

"Hi Andrew, thanks for your email. Yes we will be participating in the
Samurai Spirits V reprogramming and we will update our customers
by Monday or Tuesday of next week once we decide on how to handle
the exchange. Thanks for checking with us."

Looks like we'll find out on Monday as well...

SouthtownKid said:
I think it's naive and silly to buy a game you don't want in order to sell it for more later. If (we assume for a minute that) they will do a full fix of the cart, why would you consider keeping a messed up one? If you're a completist, or if you don't miss the fatalities or mind the bugs, that's one thing. But there are other things to invest in which offer a better chance of a good return. Anyone can do whatever they want, but unless I found myself suddenly in a cash desperate situation, I wouldn't sell I game I wasn't tired of. There are many things in this world I don't understand, and that's one of them.

But it's not that I want everyone to be into this stuff for the same reason I am. I'm just trying to understand.

I agree with you that there are far more lucrative and efficient means of earning money through buy/resale.

It doesn't hurt to hold onto the original cart, if you want to take the chance it could go up in value. All I'm saying is that I'd hate to just trade it in and get a fixed cart, and then hear a few weeks later that for those who kept their cart that demand for it is going up.

Its really that simple. I'm not saying its a rule, nor an exception but I am trying to see this from all angles, and to be prepared for any possibilty. I don't do this for fun, just that if I have an ability to analyze this logically then I will do whatever I care to do that monetarily benifits me the best. I am not alone either.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Electroman said:
I agree with you that there are far more lucrative and efficient means of earning money through buy/resale.

It doesn't hurt to hold onto the original cart, if you want to take the chance it could go up in value. All I'm saying is that I'd hate to just trade it in and get a fixed cart, and then hear a few weeks later that for those who kept their cart that demand for it is going up.

Its really that simple. I'm not saying its a rule, nor an exception but I am trying to see this from all angles, and to be prepared for any possibilty. I don't do this for fun, just that if I have an ability to analyze this logically then I will do whatever I care to do that monetarily benifits me the best. I am not alone either.
Okay. I guess if I had two of them, maybe I'd hold onto one, but I guess that would probably be more from worry of not getting it back. Up, down or whatever in value I don't care, it would bother me to know others could play the actual game the way it was meant to be played, but I couldn't.

Still, I like that everyone thinks about things differently; it's the number one thing that makes life (and these forums) interesting.