Neo Star? What was this?

Nicola

n00b
Browsing old magazines I've found that SNK wanted to produce a new console called Neo Star but I can't find any info on this. May someone help me? Thanks!

Nicola

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Can you provide us with the magazine title, issue number, month/year of publication, page number? (alot of folks here have stashes of old gaming magazines, and they might be interested in digging this issue out if they happen to have a copy)

Can you scan or type up a copy of the article?

--Chris

Nicola

n00b
Dash no Chris said:
Can you provide us with the magazine title, issue number, month/year of publication, page number? (alot of folks here have stashes of old gaming magazines, and they might be interested in digging this issue out if they happen to have a copy)

Can you scan or type up a copy of the article?

--Chris

Sure, the only problem is that it's in italian...anyway I try a translation: "SNK stops the Neo Star project? It seem so, because the price would have been around $700 and technologies not good as the ones inside Saturn and PlayStation. Anyway...they are planning an upgrade for the Neo Geo, maybe a CD ROM reader." The magazine is called Game Power, July/August number 30 page 26, year 1994.
That's all, no pics.

scorponok

Not scorporock,
Here is some information that I have had saved for years.

November ‘93, Issue no. 5, European The Official NEO GEO Club Newsletter

“Neo Geo CD-ROM

Via well placed sources close to the developement team working on the next generation of SNK cartridge machines, information and an artist’s impression has been given for what the next machine to be launched by the company could look like.

The machine is being considered to be called the Neo-Star, and is a much bigger system than the one we have all become familiar with for these past three years. The main differences are obvious from the artist’s impression, showing clearly the new dual CD-1/CD-ROM drive, able to play special Neo Geo games.

The next major improvement of the machine is the wire-less, Infra-Red joysticks, allowing the player to sit well away from the machine but still able to control the action on screen. The other feature is the new larger capacity memory card, which is a specially created card disk storage device able to hold 20x more information, and rumoured to be used in the planned new Home-banking service that would be available for Japanese users.

The last major external change to the machine is the inclusion of an Expansion Port that will allow the system to be plugged into a number of new add-ons due to follow the release of the machine.

The specifications of the unit are still shrouded in secrecy, and will undoubtedly change as SNK up-grade or down-grade certain features to keep the machine at a certain price point, but the rough out-line has been made exclusively to our reader.

The Neo-Star is proposed to be a 32-bit system, against the original 16-bit of the Neo Geo, and will use RISC central processing units, and is claimed to have a clock speed of around 14.5 MHz, that will make is seven faster than any of the competition.(five times faster than the Neo Geo).

The machine is meant to be capable of a resolution of 640 x 480 pixels, and uses a new Super-Scart system to increase the resolution of the normal displays it is connected to. No details on the number of colours or the speed at which it will be able to move sprites around, but we will have to wait for that information as other manufacturers will also be keen to know it.

The big news is that the machine is aiming to be able to do polygon graphics and there is speculation that the Neo-Star could be the first 3D games machine that will be able to create truly interactive virtual reality style games. The CD-1 Features allows for movie quality sound/graphics to be played with video game interaction via the cartridges. The CD-Rom dual feature allows for bigger games to have extra graphics or information stored on special CD’s.

The machine has Infra-Red joystick controllers, as well as sockets for normal joysticks meaning that four players could take part in one game. The new joysticks are made to be lighter and more comfortable than the original with a new “palm grip”, and a head-phone socket built-in. Special surround sound sockets are also included on the machine allowing it to be plugged into a stereo Hi-Fi to offer mind blowing sound.

The expansion Port must be the one feature that has the most potential, with suggestions of a new cable-TV/Modem connector that would allow multi-player gaming, as well as home-banking features, buying goods off the TV. Along with a 3D goggles system, and best of all a keyboard facility, (possibly to be used in-conjunction with the home-banking features).

For all you Neo Geo owners that do not want to give up their machines, there is a speculation that SNK are talking about creating a Neo-CD unit that will allow existing Neo Geo’s to be plugged into a kind of CD drive unit, offering some of the features of the Neo-Star. The unit is being considered to be launched before the replacement system.”

neo-star.jpg

Nicola

n00b
Scorponok, you made me a great favour! I need this info for my university work. If you would like to be added in the special thanks, please PM me your full name!

:D

Nicola

daybona

Juz,
How do I know this is real?

I guess this was cooked up around the same time as the Neo CD?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Like a Neo Duo... :-P

That would have been awesome.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Isn't it simply what became the Hyper 64?

The 32bit RISC makes me considering that. Maybe they disconsidered a possibility of a console because the price and just kept it arcade.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
I was thinking a home Hyper Neo would be the logical conclusion.

If the Hyper Neo had taken off and been a success, it would have been logical to make a home cart verision just like they did with MVS--->AES, Hyper--->Star.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Thats cool. It would have been nice to have more hardware/games. Maybe playmore will start thinking like this --- nah, it is playmore afterall.

Ford

Crazed MVS Addict
Looks like a concept mark up. Like something they were brainstorming over.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Almost certainly an image drawn up pby the magazine artist.

Man, that looks crap.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
It looks about how I'd expect a "bigger, badder, better" CD console of the early 90s to look. And ugly.

aria

Former Moderator
Oh man, that looks so retro-badass.

It's amazing when you consider how small the neo-cart looks in relation to the machine :D

How hard would it be to make one now? (homebrew)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Baseley09 said:
Neo Star -------> Hyper 64
l
--------------> Neo Geo CD

Baywatch ------> Baywatch Nights
|
------------------> Baywatch Hawaii

:(

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
That thing looks insanely huge! I wonder if a proto was ever created, or if it got canned on the drawing board??

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
DanAdamKOF said:
OMFG what a behemoth.

It looks as if it needs to be fitted with tank treads and deployed to some far-flung battlefield.

Also, I seem to recall reading a blurb about this thing long ago, possibly in an issue of EGM.