NEO SD Pro Restock - would you buy one over a MiSTer in 2023?

Just read that they are opening pre-orders for the Neo SD Pro on Stone Age Gamer's website. Added to cart and walked away after having second thoughts - I have read positive reviews of the product, but for some reason I have a hard time pulling the trigger when you can get a MiSTer for less.

I basically want to play Neo Turf Masters and a few other expensive games that I don't want to spend tens of thousands on using my PVM. Some of the other arcade cores appeal to me as well, but Would you choose a NEO SD Pro over a MiSTer today when they are in the same price range? Is there an intangible benefit to playing ROMS on original hardware over the Neo Geo core?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
s there an intangible benefit to playing ROMS on original hardware over the Neo Geo core?

Apart from using a original AES stick in 2023 is badass there is no reason to not go with MiSTER. There’s probably controller adapters now too.

MiSTER also solves the problem of how do I get my 30 year old hardware to work with a modern HDMI tv.

You can also play a cdr of Neo Goob Masters on NGCD as a alternative.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This topic again? There are two threads already.

If you care about playing on a real Neo Geo, go for the NeoSD. It's worth it. As a bonus, you get to play all kinds of free hacks, arcade conversions and homebrew on a real system as they become available.

Regardless of accuracy, playing on a Mister feels nothing like real Neo Geo hardware. It feels like using a rom box.

This topic again? There are two threads already.

If you care about playing on a real Neo Geo, go for the NeoSD. It's worth it. As a bonus, you get to play all kinds of free hacks, arcade conversions and homebrew on a real system as they become available.

Regardless of accuracy, playing on a Mister feels nothing like real Neo Geo hardware. It feels like using a rom box.
I didn't mean to bring up a topic that was already settled. I really like hearing opinions on here and I get it - I'm new. I actually never can get the search to work great so sometimes I'll google the topic and use "neo geo forums" after.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know what you think of the intangible feeling of using the NeoSD because I come to a forum like this for that kind of insight.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah, the search feature is known to be broken, and using Google as an alternative doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. Here are the other topics if you're interested:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I'll google the topic and use "neo geo forums" after.
i don't use much google-fu like this any more, but you can use

inurl:neo-geo.com/forums/

at the beginning of your search term. I use this for almost every forum, search features on them are always pretty hit or miss unless you know exactly who posted what you are looking for, or something of the sort.

Thanks to both of you! I don't want to make a faux pas here so thanks for guiding me in the right direction!

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Keeping in mind that Voultar can also suck my cock, Terraonion can suck it harder and unwashed. [Terraonion was] Accusing Krikzz of paying someone off to flee Ukraine, what a piece of shit.

Sad that technical minded people like what I imagine Terraonion goobs are fall prey to jealousy and tribalism even where there's zero reason for it, how tiny the world of ode/flashcart makers is ffs? Some people are just born with the piece of shit gene it seems.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
People with that skill set often also have very poor social skills. You can decide for yourself which came first... and I wouldn't give TO a penny if you don't have to. In addition to being kind of a shit person (this isn't the first time he's stuck his foot in his mouth), their products are mid and their customer service is terrible.

Get Darksoft's board if you want a flash cart or just get a Mister.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

I agree, but using a flash cart feels like a rom box too....

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I don't really see any competition between SD carts and MISTer here. SD carts let you play the games on the real thing which is my preferred way to use the systems I have. MISTer on the other hand opens up a whole new world of different cores for you to try out, some of which may not be 100% accurate yet but ppl are working on it to make it perfect. As things stand, it's the future of classic gaming.

Is the Neo SD Pro worth 650? Probably not if you take a closer look at its hardware but given the average going prices for Neo homecarts, it's still cheap to what you'd pay for a halfway decent collection of original games, not to mention the batshit insane priced stuff like the Slugs, NTM or similar games.

In the end, you could play NTM and other stuff on MAME for free and I bet you won't notice any difference to the real thing so make up your mind and choose but choose wisely.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Alex can't even use the correct word for "paid", instead he used "payed".

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
In the true experience you don't even touch the carts or the board, only a worn joystick/button panel, and you have to coin up to play. :D
There is something to be said about physically swapping carts and looking at the box art and manual. Similar to experiencing a painting in person, versus just looking at it online.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I agree, but using a flash cart feels like a rom box too....
Well, I agree about picking the game from a list. But everything else is there. The real system is running it. If you go with a mister instead you don't even have the option to swap out and use a real cart.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Well, I agree about picking the game from a list. But everything else is there. The real system is running it. If you go with a mister instead you don't even have the option to swap out and use a real cart.

I do agree w this. Putting the cart in the slot is honestly more fun. I dont use my 161 all that much, I usually just play the 2 or 3 MVS carts I have.

But at this point, Ive played all the Neo games plenty of time. Not saying they arent worth playing, but at this point in life the MiSTer gives you a lot more options for your buck.

Ive got mine set up on a smart plug. I yell at my google dot to turn on the mister. It does. Boom. Play anything that I have on there (mostly arcade and console, I dont SNAC so dont see the point of comptuers on it but thats just me) from NES to PSX/Saturn.

If and when Deuce ever does finish the SSRPG translation (he wont) I'll play it on the MiSTer because it evidently had an upgrade to the NeoCD core and allows for up to 4x loading speed. Last Blade 2 is still kind of over the top with loading even on 4x, but its definitely more manageable.

In short - buy what you want.

If your main focus is that PVM, then you can go both routes, because MiSTer seems to support the following:
"There are a few different ways you can use your MiSTer with a classic CRT display. The two main methods are either using the VGA port on the Analog IO board or using a specific Direct Video HDMI to VGA adapter."

With all due respect to the HDMI-minded though; Wouldn't investing in a future-proof PC be the best all-round option for emulation of retro games + everyday computing with digital display output flexibility?
Obviously on PC, there's the question (and obligation) of having separate software emulators for different systems. But that kinda sounds like the MiSTer "cores".
MISTer on the other hand opens up a whole new world of different cores for you to try out, some of which may not be 100% accurate yet but ppl are working on it to make it perfect.
What Takumaji said makes me think of how software emulators might actually have the advantage here on progressively achieving increased compatibility because of the ease-of-access to both devs & players.

Anyway, I remember enjoying 3-4 hours Neo Turf Masters thanks to NeoRageX (that includes a Save-State función btw) with the decent F710 JoyPad.

Here's an idea, play mame for a month and think again: Do I need this.
I pre-ordered the cursed SD Cart. Was it a need? I think it was more of a "pick your poison" scenario for me and the main thing holding me back after reading yesterday's comments was the negative info I learned about the manufacturer - moreso the shitty things they were saying than the lack of support. Disparaging refugees is a real turn off, but I wanted a solution of this sort and in the end that's what we got the ol' cognitive dissonance for.