Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
well, its definitely a problem with the speakers. Headphones on is much louder and I have to turn the volume down.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Screwed yet again!!!
I just received what I feared would happen. Bestbuy.com shipped mine in a garbage bag, but what's worse is that it was a used garbage bag and taped together.

All 4 corners totally bashed in!
The bottom of the Neo-Geo Box had completely fallen apart when I opened the garbage bag..
The two Neo-Geo sealed boxes inside both smashed as well
The tape used to keep their shitty garbage bag together from whoever used it last had taped across the Neo-Geo X box and ripped the box when removed.

All in all it's a @(#&$ mess. :(

Never buying from BestBuy again. They are a bunch of monkeys (actually saying that is a disservice to monkeys).

So let's review my Neo-Geo X nightmare so far...
1. First one from Amazon.com (scuffs + bottom ripped off)
2. Toys R Shit order (CANCELED without any notice)
3. BestBuy order: See above..
4. Gamestop.com ordered... I'll let you know when it gets here!

Here are some pics from my Bestbuy order. So pissed about this.
BestBuyDamagedNeo-GeoX-01.jpg

BestBuyDamagedNeo-GeoX-02.jpg

BestBuyDamagedNeo-GeoX-03.jpg

BestBuyDamagedNeo-GeoX-04.jpg

BestBuyDamagedNeo-GeoX-05.jpg

BestBuyDamagedNeo-GeoX-06.jpg

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Holy Fuck. That really sucks Matt. I think your GS order will be okay though. I received the system and an extra stick from them and they arrived in boxes with lots of bubble plastic. Everything was immaculate when I opened it. Hang in there and keep your fingers crossed.

Send those others back, but keep the Ninja Masters cards! ! ! !

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Holy Fuck. That really sucks Matt. I think your GS order will be okay though. I received the system and an extra stick from them and they arrived in boxes with lots of bubble plastic. Everything was immaculate when I opened it. Hang in there and keep your fingers crossed.

Send those others back, but keep the Ninja Masters cards! ! ! !

Thanks man. I've never had such bad experiences with shipping in my life. Hopefully the 3rd time is a charm.

The Amazon box had a ton of plastic "air bags" too, but the box was scuffed as if they might have been using my box as a WindJammers disc during a lunch break in the warehouse.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
My Amazon order came in a giant box with not enough air bags, but only one corner got dinged/crushed. I was kinda pissed about it until I saw the pics in this thread. Sheesh. :(

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Amazon order came in flawless.

Anyhoo. It's cheap chinese plastic. The presentation and look is great.
Once you touch and power the thing on....it goes downhill.
The menu's and buttons respond like a first gen Andriod device. The whole thing reminds me of a cheap flashcart interface.
The games play at speed.
As it's been stated, the sound is quiet. Sound is emulated fine, but i haven't heard poorly emulated Neo Geo sound in decades.
The screen is good next to a GameGear, but not when you have a PSP,DS,and any smartphone in your pocket. I didn't expect a top notch screen, but I set my expectations accordingly.

It'll go on my shelf with the other neo geo stuff. Looks cool, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone outside this forum.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Man, I feel for all the people that got battered boxes. Nothing pisses me off more than when I order a rare/high price MVS cart off of ebay and it comes in a non-padded envelop. Pisses me off to no end, but I've luckily had no damage. That Best Buy box is trashed beyond belief. What idiots. It's just costing them money at this point. You'd think they'd wise up.

Lan Di

War Room Troll
Screwed yet again!!!
I just received what I feared would happen. Bestbuy.com shipped mine in a garbage bag, but what's worse is that it was a used garbage bag and taped together.

All 4 corners totally bashed in!
The bottom of the Neo-Geo Box had completely fallen apart when I opened the garbage bag..
The two Neo-Geo sealed boxes inside both smashed as well
The tape used to keep their shitty garbage bag together from whoever used it last had taped across the Neo-Geo X box and ripped the box when removed.

All in all it's a @(#&$ mess. :(

Never buying from BestBuy again. They are a bunch of monkeys (actually saying that is a disservice to monkeys).

Man, I'm scared half to death now. I ordered from best buy and I hope this doesn't happen to me.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
2012 and people still can't ship things right.

Yeah, I would urge anyone with an open order one one of these from Bestbuy to consider canceling and ordering from someone else unless they don't care too much about the condition.
Shipping in garbage bags is not a great idea!

Oh and after spending 45 mins on the phone with their customer "help" line they told me to drive and return it. They didn't offer to ship another one out and
to be honest I wouldn't want to gamble with them again anyway.

It's funny/sad how many complaints are showing up on their Facebook page. I kind feel bad for the sap that has to constantly
repeat "Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that!" over and over again.

Ghoost

n00b
So just got this thing on Tuesday and having a blast with it. Never owned an SNK product before, grew up always wanting one, but the price was too big of an obstacle.

Is it normal I can't win a single match in KoF '95 on easy? These games are HARD!

Who wants to do the world a favor and compile a faq list for all the games included?

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
Mine came in today:

did a quick video unboxing/review - since i havent seen any decent ones out there i figured id make one

short review of the system: its impressive. I really love the build quality of the unit itself. The control deck and stick are not as great. The deck especially is kinda flimsy and feels like cheap plastic.

Also the HDMI output fucking sucks. theres nothing else to say - its really terrible. I don't know why but not even a CRT or a scanline generator can fix it imo. very disappointing.

now the good part - the image quality of the handheld is superb. Really great quality. Unsure about the battery life and i know about the save issue.

The stick is very responsive and feels great too. Overall is a very solid piece of hardware. If you want a handheld on the go, then i would say buy. If you are more interested in an AES replacement in your living room then i would avoid - go CMVS.

7/10 is what id rate it. Points lost for the issues mentioned above. I will still hoard any games that come out for it. And ill probably pick up another stick for it.

This post still rings true after playing it for a few days now.

---THE GOOD---
I haven't been keeping up on this post as of late because I've spent all my time playing it. good job all in all, Handheld rocks finish looks great and build quality is good, its light, lighter then an original ds lite, would have been cool if the backing or edges were metal, but still feels nice and sturdy. and it's comfortable! my hands always get tired playing my original DS lite, but the NGX feels great in my large Canadian hands.

I am really enjoying the game lineup built in with the console. they aren't the best games made for the neo but playing Nam-1975, Mutation nation, hell every game just looks so damn fine on the small screen. and I'm surprised how much I'm playing some of these titles that I typically wouldn't play otherwise, Kudos!

Joysticks are quite nice and there lighter then I expected, however still durable. super sensitive buttons too, I found myself accidentally pressing buttons at times by just resting my hands on them

---THE not so GOOD---
I really hope SNK supports this system in the long run though, it's not a good feeling when the second day you play it you are wishing for an system update. For most games it's forgivable, minor screen glitches in backgrounds of fighting games and the sort, & the flash flicker rate seems off compared to the real deal. but what really gets me... is when you hit that ball into right field in baseball stars 2 and you know you will see some really lame vertical tearing, course it's all the emulators fault but come on SNK/Tommo BS2 is like one of the flagship titles and it looks like that... tsk tsk tsk

the menu button is too far away.... WAH!

---THE APTLY TITLED UGLY---
The big downer is of course the poor image quality when hooking up the system to the TV. i still got my 27" JVC I'Art CRT. and the picture... quite disappointing. For a good reference, plug an old vcr into your TV using the composite cables, the picture quality looks that good and no better. also I have to crank the volume on my amplifier to speaker blowing levels in order to play it loud on my home theater. if I accidentally switch the amplifier inputs to listen to some radio or MP3's and forget to turn down the volume, it would be bye-bye speakers. [update] It appears you have to crank the volume on the handheld in order to get a decent output.

Finally My thumbstick on the handheld seems to stick when pushing right, it's not a huge issue, almost not noticeable, but I'm thinking of exchanging for another, and since no one else mentioned any thumbstick issues I'm assuming it's a one off.

NGX Fanboys handheld Rating: 4/5
NGX handheld docking system combo: 3.5/5

I love my MVS, but in the winter, I cannot go out and play in -17 degrees Celsius. the NGX provides an adequate solution. now lets see some blood in metal slug X!

Last edited:

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Thanks man. I've never had such bad experiences with shipping in my life. Hopefully the 3rd time is a charm.

The Amazon box had a ton of plastic "air bags" too, but the box was scuffed as if they might have been using my box as a WindJammers disc during a lunch break in the warehouse.

That Best Buy stuff is inexcusable.
The Best Buy shipping department will probably be out of a job in 12 months so it looks like they care less in the meantime...

Ghoost

n00b
"Finally My thumbstick on the handheld seems to stick when pushing right, it's not a huge issue, almost not noticeable, but I'm thinking of exchanging for another, and since no one else mentioned any thumbstick issues I'm assuming it's a one off"

I've noticed mine starting to stick right too...

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
4. Gamestop.com ordered... I'll let you know when it gets here!
Don't know if this will make you feel a little more confident in your Gamestop order but mine came yesterday from Texas (I think) in a single box, the console and 1 extra controller.

The console was on the bottom of the box with no padding, the joystick on top of the console box, and the whole thing was centered in the middle, surrounded by tons of those air pillows.

The Neo box itself was flawless, I don't think I could have hand picked a better one. The joystick box was almost mint, so I have no complaints.

Probably about as good a packing job as you could expect from a retailer, so hopefully yours comes in the same. Good luck.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
It would be nice to see some first party accessories, like a screen protector, or more importantly, a carrying case.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
also I have to crank the volume on my amplifier to speaker blowing levels in order to play it loud on my home theater. if I accidentally switch the amplifier inputs to listen to some radio or MP3's and forget to turn down the volume, it would be bye-bye speakers.

Is the volume on the handheld maxed out before you put it in the dock?

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
I've noticed mine starting to stick right too...

Mine doesn't stick, but the click sound is a lot quieter than when pushed in other directions.

thats 2 confirmed, do we have any NGX'ers where it the thumbstick clicks evenly in all directions?
does the right direction on the thumbstick sound quieter then the other directions?

Last edited:

Lectoid

n00b
My up direction was requiring me to go further up past the click. Like it would click, but I'd have to go a little further up to make the guy jump for example. But now it seems to have returned to normal.

I've taken mine fully apart (FOR SCIENCE!). but this happened before that. I'll be taking it apart again this weekend (FOR MORE SCIENCE!) to see how much hackn' we can do.