NEO GEO X - Bitching and Ranting thread

xarcade

Quiz Detective
(Mods, let me know if this thread is inappropriate)

This thread was created for all those who are dissapointed with the NEO GEO X and feel a need to voice their opinion. Too many of these useless type of posts were taking up space in the NGX hacking thread.

For the record, before the system was released it was revealed the NGX has 20 games built-in, was running Linux, thus it's an emulator, and future games would be released on SD cards. Knowing that, you should have known what to expect....and embraced it with open arms.

This "system" has more potential than just playing NEO GEO arcade games, has a digital joystick built in for better control with fighting games, you can play on your TV, use USB controllers. The NGX almost seems it was meant to be hacked, but the developers also included the controls and connections to have a proper gaming setup out of the box.

I say get a NGX before they get pulled off the shelves for using someone else's work for their emulation. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
So basically you created a thread for unhappy owners to bitch about the system because you're tired of it clogging up the "official" NGX thread, and then used the OP to defend the system by explaining why people shouldn't be bitching?

Chris

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
blah, blah, blah...

I say get a NGX before they get pulled off the shelves for using someone else's work for their emulation. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

I am honestly surprised they haven't been hit with a lawsuit yet on this. Probably one in the works.

Stolen FBA emulator (breaking at least 1, possibly several of its licensing restrictions), possible PSOne bios file also in the unit along with several other below board software choices.

SNKP picked the wrong fuckers to get into bed with on this one.

xarcade

Quiz Detective
So basically you created a thread for unhappy owners to bitch about the system because you're tired of it clogging up the "official" NGX thread, and then used the OP to defend the system by explaining why people shouldn't be bitching?

Chris

That's correct. And in turn they will bitch about my defense of the NGX. Just wanted to get the ball rolling.:cool:

Last edited:

xarcade

Quiz Detective
broken, yes, I'm thinking there's possibility of a lawsuit as well. If that happened, say goodbye to any future "official" support of the NGX.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
The screen is the wrong aspect ratio. If it was the right aspect, id buy the mother fucker, but its not, so i wont.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
They put no thought into the design of the dock. They chose the antiquated and inferior original AES design. It's 2013 people. Innovate.

They should have chosen the new and improved Omega CMVS design modeled on the AES design, but better because it doesn't have the useless memory card for lazy cheaters who don't play a game from beginning to end like a real gamer geek man.

Hopefully they release a magic firmware upgrade that will morph the physical dock into a superior form. Though I highly doubt it with these no magic making Tommo hacks.

VRC-SID

Cheng's Errand Boy
I really wish the handheld docked by plugging it into the cart slot on the top. That would have been math. If I wasn't too lazy, I fix it with my skilz and 3D printer.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
I having it dock in the cart slot would have been both awesome and easy to do.. The NGX is almost exactly the same size as the cart slot on the docking station. I really like the feel of the NGX and I think that it could be pretty neat but there are a few bugs that need to be worked out first.. Namely the shitty display quality.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I agree.. Supposedly its all software related though so it should be an easy fix.

Hopefully so. It just pisses me off at the lack of effort. They obviously tested it and saw the same things everyone else is seeing now. Why release it like this? You shouldn't have to buy something brand new and then have to fix it. They should have fixed it before it was released.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
Hopefully so. It just pisses me off at the lack of effort. They obviously tested it and saw the same things everyone else is seeing now. Why release it like this? You shouldn't have to buy something brand new and then have to fix it. They should have fixed it before it was released.

You'll get no argument from me on that point.. I am disappointed but hopeful.. I really would like to see this system at its full potential... Whether that's through firmware updates or hacks. I agree though that this shouldn't be the case.. If they read this form for more than 20 mins they would see that Neo Geo fans are a VERY discerning bunch.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Be cheaper to pick up an old PSP and get the neo/CPS emulator and roms. Oh and much better.

i was pretty happy with the ngx to begin with but having just found out about the gcw( how did i not notice this), i am now thinking i made the wrong choice, oh well.

plasmapants

Rugal's Thug
i was so looking forward to owning one of these but now i have seen a lot of peoples opinions on them i think ill carry on saving for my analogue walnut cmvs

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
i was pretty happy with the ngx to begin with but having just found out about the gcw( how did i not notice this), i am now thinking i made the wrong choice, oh well.

I'm not. Not only could the GCW firmware possible be ported, but the GCW looks really trashy. And judging from a video of an owner, is: The LE was supposed to contain 16GB storage (over normal 8) and 512MB RAM (over normal 256MB). His LE, of the first 40?, contained 4GB Storage (half the normal) and 256MB Ram. And the LE bezel blocks a portion of the bottom of the screen. All of the original 40 were plagued with issues, (if not all of them containing a misized bezel) and were nicknamed 'frankenzeroes'. It's like a quality control disaster.

With the X you're getting roughly the same specs in a better shell for about the same cost, it's just about the software.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
And whats up with that fucking thumbstick? anyone else starting to feel less crispness on the bottom 180 degrees of this thing?

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
If they read this form for more than 20 mins they would see that Neo Geo fans are a VERY discerning bunch.

Just on this point. I don't get it - SNKP and Tommo decide to do the Neo X. Presumably they have a think tank at the early stages of design but with most projects, they need input from outside to find what the consumer want.

NG.com is well known.

How hard would it have been for someone there to make an account, post a thread asking for wants/must haves/ideas etc? After all it's the people here who are going to decide the fate of the Neo X.

i get the feeling they are using the same tactile switches for the face/shoulder buttons and the thumbstick which doesn't bode well :(

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Just on this point. I don't get it - SNKP and Tommo decide to do the Neo X. Presumably they have a think tank at the early stages of design but with most projects, they need input from outside to find what the consumer want.

NG.com is well known.

How hard would it have been for someone there to make an account, post a thread asking for wants/must haves/ideas etc? After all it's the people here who are going to decide the fate of the Neo X.

I think that is what most pissed me off.

Shawn and the NeoStore have been doing business with SNK and SNK/Playmore for years and years, and by proxy, so has the forum. They know about this place no doubt.

Yet they don't care to even ask the largest english speaking Neo forum on the planet what they wanted in a Neo Geo handheld?

Well fuck them.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Yet they don't care to even ask the largest english speaking Neo forum on the planet what they wanted in a Neo Geo handheld?

Well fuck them.

Like I've heard from a few people, they really could have made something special with this. Unfortunately they fucked it up.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
And whats up with that fucking thumbstick? anyone else starting to feel less crispness on the bottom 180 degrees of this thing?

I noticed my left was slightly less clicky a few days after getting the system, but I think it's just breaking in the thing. All 8 directions feel the same on mine now, slightly less clicky than when new but it feels good and I have no problem with those tricky SDMs.