Neo Geo With Dad

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
As some of you have seen here, my consolized MVS is finally complete. I'm really proud and loving every minute of it.

I brought it to my dad's place on Saturday. We had to put a clear bra on my new car, and I figured I'd show the Neo Geo off to him afterwords. I wasn't expecting it to be on for long at all. He doesn't "get" video games any more, and the last time we played a game together was back in the N64 days, which was the last time he was able to keep up with the controls on the ever more complex controllers over the years.

I'm 28 now. It's been a good long time since the N64 has been out. But I figured the controls would be simple enough, so who knew.

His wife and her son were out shopping for a few hours, my wife was at work, and every bit of that the Neo Geo was on. He loved it. We played 2020 Super Baseball, Neo Turf Masters, KoF, and many more. The British golfer looked like my dad from when he was in college back in the 70s, and he even got his old yearbook out to laugh at how similar he looked to the square glasses wearing guy.

Long story short, despite only having one controller, we had a blast playing every other round of whatever game we were playing. He ended up liking it so much, we've set a time in a couple weeks to do it again.

It was just nice to sit down and play games with him like that again. So thanks to my Neo Geo for the great bonding experience. Totally worth what little money I've had to invest in this great system.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
That's really cool, man. I used to play NES with my dad BitD (he gave it to me 2 months before Christmas because I think he wanted to play it, too). He passed away when I was 14, but if he was still around I could definitely see him playing some Neo with me now.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
icon14.gif
Best story in a long time... Thanks for posting!

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Thanks guys. Yeah, he actually introduced me to gaming with his old Pong system. He then got an NES for his birthday around the year 1990. The rest is history.

So it was kinda like being a kid for a bit again with him, except between games we'd talk about stuff. Was just a really nice bonding moment.

Last edited:

dipindods

needs help. stuck in virgina.
me and my dad played ken griffey jr baseball for snes all the time . he passed 6 years ago b4 i had my mvs. im sure if he was still here he would have loved baseball stars 2 since there very similar. enjoy it with your dad. this made me smile thinking of old times.
thank you

Sunsoft

Zero's Secretary
nice to see fathers and sons spending time together especially playing neo geo games! unfortunately I never had one lol (a father that is)

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
That's pretty cool.
My dad never got the NEO, but I was able to get him to play the gamecube
with what was a lot of Dreamcast games like crazy taxi and SEGA bass fishing.
Neat feeling to spend time like that.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
The earliest I can remember doing any gaming with my dad was on a TRS-80 way back when. He was teaching me simple coding on it and we would play some of the different games on cassette like pac-man, target shooting, breakout, etc.

ESP_SVT

New Challenger
Awesome, dude. I seriously doubt my old man would ever play a video game with me, but I do have a son who enjoys playing with his dad!

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Lovely story, just have to ask one question though... You put 'a clear bra on my new car'?!?!?!?!?????? That has to be lost in translation right? Very confusing images in my head right now. :lolz:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If it's not Galaxian or Space Invaders, dad ain't playing it. lol

Slugger

Marked Wolf
Nice story. When I tried to show my dad my mvs games and system he couldn´t care less lol. He used to play computer chess and backgammon only by himself back in the days.
But he did buy me out of nowhere an Atari 2600 (my first console) when I was a child. Also remember that he bought me as a christmas present a nes castlevania which was a huge let down by the time for me since I wanted nes bigfoot. Got it eventually when my birthday came.

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
I smile when I read this forum :)

I always play CMVS with my 7 years old daughter especially Metal Slug and MOTW (she like to play Hotaru ;)) It's very funny system and can play nowadays in digital game system. High resolution is not matter. I still believe that Neo-geo is best system of game console forever ... at least for my life :)

Thank for sharing nice experience here ....

Don

Camel Slug
My dad never really enjoyed playing video games with me but always supported my interest. I have great memories of him showing me how to use DOS so I could boot up Doom and Comander Keen.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
I was raised by my mom, but I think I was 6 or 7 when she bought me an NES and I remember playing SMB with her and contra. I would enter in the 30 lives code and we would beat it. She even played river city ransom. Good Memories.

As a side note, we lived with my grandmother at the time and it was only later on that grandma told me she would stay up sometimes until 2am playing SMB.

RetroGiga68k

New Challenger
Good thread. I have had similar experiences with my father in recent years with my AES. He otherwise never plays videogames, but sometimes we've had fun with the Neo, 2P co-op against the CPU on King Of The Monsters, or each playing one halftime per match against the CPU in Super Sidekicks 2.

My father still remembers the Neo because of all the coins I spent as a youth constantly playing a 6-slot cab when Neo first appeared on the scene here in the very start of the '90s.

2P co-op Blazing Star and Robo Army have also been good ones for us now, and for 1P my dad will also sometimes button mash through to the end of his fave 1v1 fighter Real Bout Special on easiest difficulty while his son cheers him on. :)

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
As some of you have seen here, my consolized MVS is finally complete. I'm really proud and loving every minute of it.

I brought it to my dad's place on Saturday. We had to put a clear bra on my new car, and I figured I'd show the Neo Geo off to him afterwords. I wasn't expecting it to be on for long at all. He doesn't "get" video games any more, and the last time we played a game together was back in the N64 days, which was the last time he was able to keep up with the controls on the ever more complex controllers over the years.

I'm 28 now. It's been a good long time since the N64 has been out. But I figured the controls would be simple enough, so who knew.

His wife and her son were out shopping for a few hours, my wife was at work, and every bit of that the Neo Geo was on. He loved it. We played 2020 Super Baseball, Neo Turf Masters, KoF, and many more. The British golfer looked like my dad from when he was in college back in the 70s, and he even got his old yearbook out to laugh at how similar he looked to the square glasses wearing guy.

Long story short, despite only having one controller, we had a blast playing every other round of whatever game we were playing. He ended up liking it so much, we've set a time in a couple weeks to do it again.

It was just nice to sit down and play games with him like that again. So thanks to my Neo Geo for the great bonding experience. Totally worth what little money I've had to invest in this great system.
Id say you are fortunate to have a father like that.Heck when i was younger my family didn't play any video games with me,well my sister did but that's about it.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I have great memories of him showing me how to use DOS so I could boot up Doom and Comander Keen.
Hehe, had that too. My dad freaked out when I called him at work once because I had forgotten some command though... later that day he'd come home, appologize and write it down for me. After I got my PSX (having saved/worked for it a whole summer long) he'd occasionally play a round of Tekken with me... good times. Nowadays he's not that supportive of my playing video games anymore, thinks I should've grown out of it... but that's alright, I don't get most of the stuff he does either.

Last edited:

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Great thread!

As some of you may remember, here in Canada (in my experience) when the Saturn first came out they had kiosks up for display at both SuperStore and later I found another one setup at a Foot Locker location. I was pumped to try out Virtua Fighter for the first time since our income was limited to having any other new consoles at home.

I pleaded for my Dad to try out some Vs. on the display, and I remember he picked Jeffrey and completely wiped the floor with me. I rarely asked him to try out other games after that time, apart from maybe some of the Super Mario Bros. titles that both of my parents were fond of.

We both love golf so I'd like to see how he likens to NTM, one of my favorite titles that rarely leaves the 4-slot.

Thank you for sharing, everyone! :)

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Great thread!

As some of you may remember, here in Canada (in my experience) when the Saturn first came out they had kiosks up for display at both SuperStore and later I found another one setup at a Foot Locker location. I was pumped to try out Virtua Fighter for the first time since our income was limited to having any other new consoles at home.

I pleaded for my Dad to try out some Vs. on the display, and I remember he picked Jeffrey and completely wiped the floor with me. I rarely asked him to try out other games after that time, apart from maybe some of the Super Mario Bros. titles that both of my parents were fond of.

We both love golf so I'd like to see how he likens to NTM, one of my favorite titles that rarely leaves the 4-slot.

Thank you for sharing, everyone! :)

Virtua Fighter and the Saturn were huge for me as a kid. I wanted a Saturn more than anything (didn't get one till well after it's death, they got me an N64 instead), and that obsession with the system honestly never ended. Still such a great system.

Anywho, I remember seeing my first 3D video game ever, and that was Virtua Fighter with my dad. We were at Toys R Us, in the front of the store they'd have arcade machines there (yes.. way back when ... they no longer do this). As we were leaving with a copy of Super Mario Bros 3 in hand, we saw that machine.

Both of us honestly couldn't believe what we were seeing. The most realistic graphics possible in a video game (shut up... it was back then), and with such a level of detail I'd never seen before in a game (again, shut up...). We played a round. I forget who won, it didn't matter. We had so much fun. It's a memory I won't ever forget. I was a Nintendo kid back then, but man did that make me suddenly interested in Sega.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I really like reading stories like this, thanks for sharing with us!

My Mom and Dad used used to play video games after we (the kids) went to bed; I used to wake up in the middle of the night all the time and I would peek out of my room to see them playing. I had figured out that that was why there would be huge leaps in progress every time I'd sit down to play games with them. They beat all the Dragon Warrior games together, The Legend of Zelda, Willow...my Mom even gave me her copy of Startropics when I moved away. My Dad doesm't play games anymore, but my Mom has a 3DS XL and still plays things like Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright. Either way, I still have fond memories of those times, especially when we beat Chrono Trigger together and Crono and Marle float away with the handful of balloons. :)

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I really like reading stories like this, thanks for sharing with us!

My Mom and Dad used used to play video games after we (the kids) went to bed; I used to wake up in the middle of the night all the time and I would peek out of my room to see them playing. I had figured out that that was why there would be huge leaps in progress every time I'd sit down to play games with them. They beat all the Dragon Warrior games together, The Legend of Zelda, Willow...my Mom even gave me her copy of Startropics when I moved away. My Dad doesm't play games anymore, but my Mom has a 3DS XL and still plays things like Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright. Either way, I still have fond memories of those times, especially when we beat Chrono Trigger together and Crono and Marle float away with the handful of balloons. :)

Glad you like the thread. I love how it's become a place for people to share their stories. Thanks for sharing yours :). My parents never played games together, that's for sure. My mom only occasionally played Duck Hunt, and that was it. My dad only played with me, and never by himself. Well, at least not by the time we had an NES. The Pong system was his, so he obviously played games before I was around.