Neo Geo Statistical Charts

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I like pie charts. What do you suggest I use instead?

I work with statisticians and economists all day long. If you ever walk into a meeting with a pie chart you'll hear groans. It's just a rank-armature chart ;) I was shocked when I first entered into analytics how strongly some people felt about data being displayed in pie charts. When you listen to their reasoning, though, and the first article I sent you summed it up the best, I can't really disagree with them.

The most elegant charts don't require data labeling.

You shouldn't need to have any extraneous numbers on your data in order to make your point.

If you do, you are using the wrong chart.

Industry standard for conveying data quickly is the bar chart. Your line graph is probably the second favorite (and you can immediately see how readable that is, even without the Y axis labeled... We can immediately see the most productive years for games).

Like I said, just friendly advice ;) I'm not going to berate you on your use of a pie chart, but there are several people in the analytics community that would. Just FYI. By the way, what software did you use to generate these?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Neo Geo genres bar chart has now been added, thanks for your input.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Just looking over the complete list of games you have done and I think you need one more category, I don't get how you can put any of these games down as puzzle...

Neo Bomberman
Neo Mr. Do!
Nightmare in the Dark
Zupapa!

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Just looking over the complete list of games you have done and I think you need one more category, I don't get how you can put any of these games down as puzzle...

Neo Bomberman
Neo Mr. Do!
Nightmare in the Dark
Zupapa!

They do cross genres a bit. I think Bomberman & Mr. Do! could be loosely classed as "puzzle" since they have "strategy, action and maze" elements and NitD & Zupapa! are more single-screen action with platforms (though not traditional "platformers").

If that makes sense...

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Would Quest for Jongmaster fall both into the other category and mahjong? It's an RPG jong game.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Great job. I figured about 50% of games were fighting. Pie charts are my favorite. I did not know there was that many beat em' ups awesome info.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Would Quest for Jongmaster fall both into the other category and mahjong? It's an RPG jong game.

Strategy-puzzle-action-rpg, but still revolves around Mahjong despite the RPG segues... so... puzzle?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
They do cross genres a bit. I think Bomberman & Mr. Do! could be loosely classed as "puzzle" since they have "strategy, action and maze" elements and NitD & Zupapa! are more single-screen action with platforms (though not traditional "platformers").

If that makes sense...

By that definition, pac-man is a puzzle game. XD

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
a042mjz.png

tecmo world soccer 96 is one of my favorite baseball games.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member

Neo Bomberman
Neo Mr. Do!
Nightmare in the Dark
Zupapa!

Shall I put them under platforming instead? I really don't want to extend the number of genres, 8 is enough, unless you can think of a way to remove the Other category and use its place for something more useful. Anyone got suggestions for Crossed Swords / Super Spy?

If it has anything to do with Mahjong, Quiz or anything else especially Japanese-y (like Shogi), it goes in the Quiz / Mahjong genre, they don't need more than one category...

Great job. I figured about 50% of games were fighting. Pie charts are my favorite. I did not know there was that many beat em' ups awesome info.

Actually it's 50 individual releases, not 50%. Compared to 148, fighting takes up 33% of the entire library. That's still a whopping huge percentage. It takes Shooting and Sports combined to equal fighting.

This chart is a bust. What about the 8 cd exclusives?! I call shenanigans!

I was trying to stick to MVS releases for now. If it really bothers everyone, I'll update the genre chart with CD and independent releases.

If you want to be a help, list the 8 CD exclusives individually here.

a042mjz.png

tecmo world soccer 96 is one of my favorite baseball games.

Sorry about that, fixed.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Anyone got suggestions for Crossed Swords / Super Spy?

I vote "action" for the sake of genre simplicity. Games like these that blur genre lines could be referenced with asterisks and a footnote detailing the other elements that slipped in. :D

SNKorSWM makes a good point with the Pac-Man comment. So... I guess "strategy/maze" could be worth adding if "puzzle" doesn't quite cut it.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Technically everything could go under Action, it's very ambiguous. Games that blur genre lines are a lot easier to put under Other.

Could strategy/maze be put under puzzle or does that have to be its own genre? If worse comes to worse I can put the single screen games under Other.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Technically everything could go under Action, it's very ambiguous. Games that blur genre lines are a lot easier to put under Other.

Could strategy/maze be put under puzzle or does that have to be its own genre? If worse comes to worse I can put the single screen games under Other.

Yeah, I think "puzzle" catches strategy/maze in the most relaxed sense. "Other" is still valid when things get even hazier. Maybe a venn diagram showing all the genre overlaps would be an interesting way to interpret all these... ;)

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I realise that your are attempting to keep the genre descriptions as minimised as possible, but I genuinely think that Run N Guns (which border on platforming, with multi-directional weapons, in most cases) and Shoot 'em ups should have their own separate categories.

I also reckon NAM75 should be in the Run N Gun section. With that said, I think with 10 titles in total, Run N Guns could easily stand alone, especially if Platformers has only 5!

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Nice work. This explains very well why I have 12 games in my collection. I don't enjoy fighting games and they make up a ridiculous percentage of a very limited library (only 140 or so releases in 10+ years for a console is shockingly low).

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I realise that your are attempting to keep the genre descriptions as minimised as possible, but I genuinely think that Run N Guns (which border on platforming, with multi-directional weapons, in most cases) and Shoot 'em ups should have their own separate categories.

I also reckon NAM75 should be in the Run N Gun section. With that said, I think with 10 titles in total, Run N Guns could easily stand alone, especially if Platformers has only 5!

You know though, as far as I understand the "shooting game" category in Japan is pretty broad. Run n' gun isn't a separate genre. The same goes for Shock Troopers/Mercs style overhead games. Personally, I don't consider either of those styles shooting games. I view them as action games.

I collect JPN AES, and I can't read a lick of anything Kanji/katakana/hirgana/Idon'tknowwhatI'mtalkingabout, but don't many of the carts have a genre indication on the insert. And I don't mean the little bit of english on the spine that reads " New hyper heroes katana real battle action game" type nonsense.

Madbees

New Challenger
Well, I've re-categorized all the games except Crossed Swords and The Super Spy. Thanks guys! I haven't a clue where those last two could go, they don't really fit into the already used genres.

Why not label them first person?

They both have that perspective.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
That still leaves them in a genre consisting of only two games. The goal was to try and sort the games into as few categories as possible.

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
I would consider both Crossed Swords and The Super Spy as Beat em Up 's . You fight against hordes of Monsters or a Plethora of Soldiers. Just in Pseudo-Sidestep-3D. :)

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
1996 is the year of Metal Slug, IMO the greatest run'n gun game ever made!
Not something to take lightly, as Contra 3 and Gunstar Heroes are also amazing.