Neo-Geo Sports Games: What are your favorites?

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
In playing Neo-Geo games I've found I have a lot of fun playing the sports games (which were mostly released early in the systems lifespan).

Which ones are your favorites and least favorites?

I really like Baseball Stars 2 and dislike Football Frenzy.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Baseball Stars 2 and Neo Turf Masters

I need to give SSK2 a whirl though, as I've only played 3.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
In this order: Windjammers, Turf Masters, Drift Out, Baseball Stars 2, Cup'98.

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
The Baseball Stars games are probably my favorite sports games on any system. The 2nd one is superior but I enjoy Baseball Stars Professional as well. I actually played that one for hours last night. League Bowling is a lot of fun as well, especially multiplayer.

I'm still kind of a noob so I have yet to play the real Neo Turf Masters, though I've played and loved the NGPC one for awhile. Going to try to get my hands on an MVS copy of that eventually.

Also, I really wish there was a hockey game on the Neo Geo. It would be like Blades of Steel, only way better. Maybe someone will make a homebrew one some day.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
League Bowling, Neo Turf Masters, Super Sidekicks 2, Baseball Stars 1 & 2 and Stakes Winner 1.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
NTM, Baseball Stars 2 and League Bowling are all must haves for the system regardless of what genres you like. Top Players Golf is crap, stay away even if you like golf games. Interesting to hear people recommend the first Baseball Stars game as well, I figured with 2, the first would be redundant.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
NTM, Baseball Stars 2 and League Bowling are all must haves for the system regardless of what genres you like. Top Players Golf is crap, stay away even if you like golf games. Interesting to hear people recommend the first Baseball Stars game as well, I figured with 2, the first would be redundant.

Sorry, but, when Top Players Golf first came out in 1990, the game was kick ass fun, and was so fucking top notch for a golf game. I remember playing the shit out of it sooo much, and Baseball Stars Professional was also REALLY fun to play! Even after BBS2 came out in 1992, (IIRC), I still played the shit out of the first one, and I had a friend back then that loved BBSP so much, that he never really touched BBS2 anywhere near as much. He hated the "Power Up" shit from BBS2 that nearly guaranteed a home run with certain players. Super Baseball 2020 was also a huge hit back in the day, and I played that NIGHTLY with friends when it first was released. It was near Samurai Shodown 1 popularity with my friends, although nothing was as much of a hit on the Neo than when Samurai Shodown first came out, but it was pretty close.

Soccer Brawl, despite many not knowing much about the game, was a blast for me as well, especially once I found out how to glitch the system up, and make it to where the referee could NEVER catch the ball using the Team Captain's power shot from team Japan when close enough to the goal. If you like soccer, I heavily recommend Soccer Brawl. It becomes quite addictive the more you play it, and the more you understand how to get around the goalie.

I could go on and on, but, I think I ended up loving near all the sports games on the Neo-Geo, which is interesting to say the least considering that I hate sports games on every other system made. :P I even liked Football Frenzy, and I hate American football. lol

As for the Super Sidekicks games, the Ultimate 11 was simply the best of the 5 games that came out, and you can't go wrong with some Thrash Rally, Neo Drift Out: New Technology, Windjammers, and Neo Turf Masters is pretty damn good as well. Then again, my likes on the Neo-Geo are kind of moot, considering I can't think of many games that I disliked. If the game bore the NEO-GEO Logo, and was not Fight Fever, then it was pretty much fun IMO.

madman

Sorry, but, when Top Players Golf first came out in 1990, the game was kick ass fun, and was so fucking top notch for a golf game.
News flash: It's not 1990 anymore and not everything stands the test of time.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
my favorite sports games on the neo either has to be neo turf masters or ultimate 11.

l

Fakk2

News flash: It's not 1990 anymore and not everything stands the test of time.

Perhaps you didn't play it when it first came out, I noticed that most people that have no fond memories of playing the very first gen games when they first came out, seem to expect all of those games to be Metal Slug 3 standards. Either way, the game still has good music, is relaxing, enjoyable, and for myself, yes, it more than enough "stands the fucking test of time". Top Players Golf is a MUST for those that want to really know what the AES/MVS was like when it first came out, and for it's time it was also the highest meg cart, and had a shitload of awesome voice speech that I still love to hear, time and time again to this very day! Top Players Golf is a great game! Sorry you just don't like it, but, just because you don't like it, does not mean that it was/is not a great game.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Super Sidekicks is the original and best, just like Kellogg's Corn Flakes. Shitty scaling ruins the others for me.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Perhaps you didn't play it when it first came out, I noticed that most people that have no fond memories of playing the very first gen games when they first came out, seem to expect all of those games to be Metal Slug 3 standards. Either way, the game still has good music, is relaxing, enjoyable, and for myself, yes, it more than enough "stands the fucking test of time". Top Players Golf is a MUST for those that want to really know what the AES/MVS was like when it first came out, and for it's time it was also the highest meg cart, and had a shitload of awesome voice speech that I still love to hear, time and time again to this very day! Top Players Golf is a great game! Sorry you just don't like it, but, just because you don't like it, does not mean that it was/is not a great game.

I actually agree 100% here.
The first gen titles for the neo are extremely unique & varied. They just never bothered to make games like them once the neo found its groove as both a fighting game system as well as a coin op based system. So that initial round up of different genres of game titles will always be special.

Also, in regards to Golf, I also enjoy Top Players Golf more then Turf Masters. I have never understood the widespread praise by the community for that game. I find the music & sound to be very loud & obnoxious. The play field feels very cluttered & busy to me. Not as simple, slow paced, and relaxing as Top Golf.

And as for best sports game, it was always Baseball Stars 2 among my friends. Windjammers & Street Slam saw lots of play as well. Also had a heated rivalry with one of my friends in Football Frenzy. To the point where I have a video we made in 1994 of one of our games that is pretty hilarious. I should post it up someday. It was rough. I lost badly.

Oh, and we never played any of the soccer games. Sorry.

madman

Who expects first gen games to be Metal Slug 3 standards? For the record, I think MS3 is long and boring. I guess I'm not cool enough to have played Top Player's Golf in 1990.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Who expects first gen games to be Metal Slug 3 standards? For the record, I think MS3 is long and boring
Shame on you, sir! Shame!!

On topic: WJ is literally the only sport game I've played on the neo and it's so good!

Fakk2

Super Sidekicks is the original and best, just like Kellogg's Corn Flakes. Shitty scaling ruins the others for me.

You know what, I agree with that to a point about the very first Super Sidekicks, because I dig the music in the game compared to the "realistic" crowd sounds of the rest in the series, (which is why I loved Soccer Brawl as well, great music), and the scrolling playing field is a bit on the iffy side. It looks cool to an extent, but, the flat playing field is just easier to look at for a few hours. The thing that ruined the first Super Sidekicks for me, is this recurring sound effect that is loud, and obnoxious, and I have no clue what the fuck it is supposed to be. If they removed that strange sound effect, (I guess it is from the crowd or something), then the game would have been much more enjoyable.

I actually agree 100% here.
The first gen titles for the neo are extremely unique & varied. They just never bothered to make games like them once the neo found its groove as both a fighting game system as well as a coin op based system. So that initial round up of different genres of game titles will always be special.

Also, in regards to Golf, I also enjoy Top Players Golf more then Turf Masters. I have never understood the widespread praise by the community for that game. I find the music & sound to be very loud & obnoxious. The play field feels very cluttered & busy to me. Not as simple, slow paced, and relaxing as Top Golf.

And as for best sports game, it was always Baseball Stars 2 among my friends. Windjammers & Street Slam saw lots of play as well. Also had a heated rivalry with one of my friends in Football Frenzy. To the point where I have a video we made in 1994 of one of our games that is pretty hilarious. I should post it up someday. It was rough. I lost badly.

Oh, and we never played any of the soccer games. Sorry.

Yes, the first run of games was not only unique, but they were so much fun! Magician Lord, Nam 1975, Riding Hero RPG Mode, Sengoku, Baseball Stars, League Bowling, etc.. were just really well made, and they felt like games that were not only top end, but, they had something that most games made after 1994 just did not seem to offer. I do believe Sengoku 2, Spinmaster, and Top Hunter were the last ones that came out that were really amazing games, that were not flat out "1vs1 fighters", and straight up Arcade style games. No doubt about it, there were some others that were great as well, but as far as that "unique" feel, the games that first came out were indeed special.

As to your reply about Top Players vs Neo Turf... agreed. It might only be us, but graphics didn't make Neo Turf the better game. Neo Turf is still really good, and looks amazing, but I find Top Players Golf to just be more enjoyable on the whole.

I did forget about Street Hoop, and yes, I even loved that game as well, even though I despise basketball in general. I guess I am NOT into Sports games, but, I have always loved the ones on the Neo-Geo. They have a feel and a sound that is quite different than any others.

If you never played Soccer Brawl, break that game out, and hit that shit bro! That game is full of awesome, and every time I play it, it takes me back to when I first bought it, and took it to high school to show my friends. Needless to say, I had friends over all night long, and everyone liked the game quite a bit. I don't recall anyone not liking Soccer Brawl. It's futuristic and bad to the bone!

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
2020 Super Baseball,Windjammers,Neo Dirftout,Baseball Stars 2,Neo Turfmasters,Super Dodgeball and League Bowling !
Oddly enough game sack just gave a nod to 2020 super baseball recently :buttrock:

Last edited: