Neo Geo Panel

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
Hey all,

So there's a local convention around here that I'm friends with one of the con staff, and they wanted me to do a panel about something. I figured, well shit why not the good ol' history of SNK/Neo Geo?

Disregarding JIPJAC's "knowledge", if one was to run a panel about the history of SNK & the Neo Geo, what do you think would be most important to talk about, showcase, or mention?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Expect NGF to show up and crash the party, claiming that they're part of the history. XD

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
...but they are, an infamous part at that but it is part of the history and demise of SNK. Talk about Dion and Chris Ray and the Barone Family and the failure of SNK overall in the whole wide world except for Japan and South America 'cause everywhere else KOF means cough.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
...but they are, an infamous part at that but it is part of the history and demise of SNK. Talk about Dion and Chris Ray and the Barone Family and the failure of SNK overall in the whole wide world except for Japan and South America 'cause everywhere else KOF means cough.

I think that's something I'm not actually entirely informed about, the whole NGF stuff. Are there some good articles or videos I can watch/read about more of the deeper history?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Read and then read some more. Plenty of info on wiki alone, there's more stuff in there than you can talk about, so yeah, research.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
you'll have to research the "best of" threads for a lot of the NGF beef.

Another good subject would be the whole AF3 homecart debacle, couple your research on that by reading "the Billionaire's Vinegar."

You got a lot of reading to do.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
So I read a few of the older threads and from what I can gather NGF was basically two guys who would resell Homecarts with their own shitty labels and ruin inserts and manuals?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
that's part of it, yes. They also scammed people, did conversions... everything. The AOF3 story is pretty heavy.

But I don't think the NGF/DGE crap is the most important stuff to talk about, you should focus more on the history of the company, most important (and iconic) releases etc.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Speaking of history, I'm a pretty data-oriented guy. Is there anywhere to find official sales and manufacturing numbers for SNK stuff? Hell, video games in general?

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Looking at that "Crystalis" thread I'm thinking a few early SNK games should also be mentioned. By no means a full overview or anything like that, but a couple of noteworthy titles to illustrate that SNK made stuff before their glory days on the Neo.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
that's part of it, yes. They also scammed people, did conversions... everything. The AOF3 story is pretty heavy.

But I don't think the NGF/DGE crap is the most important stuff to talk about, you should focus more on the history of the company, most important (and iconic) releases etc.

You're right, of course there's more to talk about than just drama, but if you're gonna make a panel you better hit it all the way home with a full fledge tale to start, this way you capture curiosity.

One important thing to understand what SNK was all about in those days (Pre and Post Neo) and their very traditional Japanese business model.

Get through some shit first and then you can talk about the games, the releases and pair it up with the times.

Anything that has to do with entertainment tells a story about its timeline culture ands society, I know that's pretty obvious to all of us but still, a point that should be fun to address as well.

There's so many things you can talk about and so much info just floating at the tip of your fingers that all you have to do is put a little effort and you'll have tons of source material, expecting to build your project or panel or whatever you got going on, from us is not the way to go, too many biases.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks for the advice guys. This is all extremely useful.

Thanks for the advice guys. This is all extremely useful.

As someone who's run Neo-Geo-themed panels at anime conventions, I can offer quite a bit of advice based on my own experiences.

(Bear in mind that it's been eight years since I've had a Neo-Geo panel.)

First off, how much time will you have to run your panel? 60 minutes? 90? 120? Depending on the length of your panel, you might want to either focus on one particular aspect (like the "lesser-known" games) or do a "best-of" panel (highlighting the most popular Neo-Geo games and their various nuances.

Second, don't devote too much time to one particular series. I've had entire panels devoted to the KOF series, and even 90 minutes wasn't enough to cover everything. If you do discuss popular series (like Samurai Shodown or Metal Slug), use one game that you think best represents the franchise.

Third, if possible, have the hardware on hand for people to try out. This has usually been a crowd-pleaser (especially hearing comments like, "This is so much better than playing it on my PC", and so forth). If not, try to go with the most accurate ports you can find. (The PS2 ones should suffice.) Use slides and videos sparingly. (I once had a KOF panel using only slides- it bombed, but at least it was a learning experience.)

Fourth, and finally, don't get too frustrated if things don't turn out right the first time. The first two panels I ran were atrocious, but I learned and improved upon them every time thereafter.

Hope this helps.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
As someone who's run Neo-Geo-themed panels at anime conventions, I can offer quite a bit of advice based on my own experiences.

(Bear in mind that it's been eight years since I've had a Neo-Geo panel.)

First off, how much time will you have to run your panel? 60 minutes? 90? 120? Depending on the length of your panel, you might want to either focus on one particular aspect (like the "lesser-known" games) or do a "best-of" panel (highlighting the most popular Neo-Geo games and their various nuances.

Second, don't devote too much time to one particular series. I've had entire panels devoted to the KOF series, and even 90 minutes wasn't enough to cover everything. If you do discuss popular series (like Samurai Shodown or Metal Slug), use one game that you think best represents the franchise.

Third, if possible, have the hardware on hand for people to try out. This has usually been a crowd-pleaser (especially hearing comments like, "This is so much better than playing it on my PC", and so forth). If not, try to go with the most accurate ports you can find. (The PS2 ones should suffice.) Use slides and videos sparingly. (I once had a KOF panel using only slides- it bombed, but at least it was a learning experience.)

Fourth, and finally, don't get too frustrated if things don't turn out right the first time. The first two panels I ran were atrocious, but I learned and improved upon them every time thereafter.

Hope this helps.

Awesome, I'll for sure keep this in mind. I don't actually own a CMVS/AES of my own, but I think I might bring in a cart to show off to people, and to compare the size of different games with. I was given about an hour, so I was thinking I could do a quick history of the Rise/Fall/Rebirth of SNK, and covering their greatest hits, kinda showing why each series did so well. Depending on how I cut up my panel I was thinking of throwing in a gameplay session of some of the games. I was considering Windjammers to have two people play against each other, since it's pretty easy to pick up.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
Howdy everyone.
So I've compiled some notes and created a bit of a guide line for my panel/discussion points I'll use to guide myself when talking.
Lemme know what you guys think, and if theres anything worthwhile adding or cutting. I plan on hopefully having time at the end of the panel to hold a mini-windjammers tournament.

I'll have about an hour for my panel, so thats what my timeline is like.

Spoiler:

Neo Geo: Why Windjamming is A Thing Panel:

PT1: Intro to SNK/History:

-Founded in 1978 by Eikichi Kawasaki in Japan
-Means “Shin Nihon Kikaku” or “New Japan Project”
- First games were Ozma Wars, Vertical Scrolling space shooter & Vanguard
-Considered predecessor to Gradius & R-Type
-Most successful game Ikari Warriors, had various ports

-SNK of America opens in 1981 in Sunnyvale Cali, wanting to make own brand of Coin-OP games
-Survives crash of 83’, becomes 3rd party licensee of Nintendo
-Develops NES ports of arcade classics, and original games for the NES

PT2: Neo Geo Family/MVS/AES/

-88’ SNK develops idea for multi game arcade systems, using cartridges, called “Neo Geo Multi-Video System”, Neo Geo MVS for short.
-SNK releases in 1990 with 1, 2, 4, & 6-slot varients
-System was instant success, created less floor space for arcade ops, cartridges cost less than 500 dollars for OPs
-Featured memory card slots on some models, could transfer data between arcade & home console

-Same year SNK releases single-cart home console, Neo Geo Advanced Entertainment System, Neo Geo AES for short in Japan
-Same physical hardware as arcade system, but brought to the home. At first, could only rent at bars or hotels

-Eventually, was brought to home market in US
-Silver System Bundle - 399.99 MSRP
-One Joystick controller, no Game
-Gold System Bundle- 649.99
-Two Joysticks, Magican Lord, Fatal Fury, NAM-1975, or Baseball Stars Professional

-Launch games were 200+ dollars, causing poor sales for the AES system, only appealed to niche market.

-AES Aggressive ad-campaign
-hotdog, balls, naked ladies

PT3. GAMEZ
-Sengoku, King of Fighters/Mark of The Wolves, Fatal Fury, Metal Slug, Art of Fighting, Neo Turf Masters, Windjammers, Samurai Showdown, Baseball Stars, Blazing Stars, Pulstar, Puzzle Bobble/BAMA

*Metal Slug, KOF, Bobble/BAMA, Samurai Showdown, NTM/Windjammers important mention
-Briefly mention IREM/Nazca history
-Nazca made up of ex-IREM employees
-After MS1 released, Nazca gets dissolved into SNK for MS games up to 3
-KOF popularity in Mexico due to easy to bootleg arcade carts
-KOF series still going strong today

-CD/CDZ
-To try and recoup AES losses, created CD based system
-Games were cheap, but suffered from awul load times.
-CDZ released to help improve load times, but didnt help much.
-Hyper Neo Geo 64
-SNK develops 64bit, 3D arcade machine
-Very few games released for it
-Doesn’t make big of a splash as the MVS, is quickly pushed out of the market

-Pocket/Pocket Color
NGP released in Japan in 98’, but soon replaced by NGPC one year later
NGPC releases in US, but with poor sales

PT4. DEATHZ
-Crippling losses from CD/AES/NGPC system, SNK is acquired by Aruze, Pachinko company in 2000
-Used SNK licenses to make Pachinko games under KOF/Metal Slug names
-2001 Founder Eichi Kawasaki & execs leave to form Playmore
-2000 Capcom & SNK make respective fighting games featuring each other characters. Popular game Capcom vs SNK does well, but most profit goes to Capcom.
-October 2001 SNK files for bankruptcy. Employees disband, IPs licensed out to companies. MEGA for Metal Slug 4, Eioth for KOF 2001 & 2002

PT5. RESSURECTION

-Kawasaki’s Playmore acquires SNK IP rights in late 2001
-Rehires much of old staff
-Regains rights to SNK name in 2003
-Now known as SNK Playmore
-Also buys ADK, who was a 3rd party NG developer
-2004 SNK Playmore ceases AES development, makes games on SAMMY Atomiswave system(Metal Slug 6 is released on this system)
-Very last MVS game developed was Samurai Showdown 5 Special, released in 2004
-2006, moves over to TAITO X-2 for arcade games
-SNK Playmore shifts focus to home console market, main focuse on its franchises on home/portable market
-2012 SNK Playmore & Tommo Inc release Neo Geo X, pre-loaded portable NG handheld with AES games included on small carts. System includes AES looking dock and AES style fight sticks
-NGX is slammed for poor build quality and bad emulation of games.
-Less than a year later, SNK Playmore terminates license agreement
-Currently SNK mainly focuses on making cell phone games and Pachislot/Pachinko games

*Homebrew scene
-CMVS systems, Homebrew Games, Bootleg Carts, current MVS/AES pricing

PT6. The Scene

-Due to the NG being niche, has had die hard fans
-Still today people making MVS/AES games
-Developer NEOBitz with Knight’s Chance
-NG:DEV with Gunlord, Fast Striker, Razion, Last Hope
-CMVS systems. MVS motherboards made to act like a console
-James from JNX with fiercely customizable options, Analogue CMVS with overpriced wood
-UNIBIOS by Razoola. Allowed deeper customization with MVS/AES & currently CD hardware
-NeoSaveMsata by TurfMasta, custom neo geo memory card with bigger memory banks, no suicide battery
-Memory patching, cheat codes, pausing and much more
-MVS/AES scene has had big issues with bootlegging carts
-High $$$ AES carts like MS games biggest victim, using gutted MVS parts
-AES $$$, MVS $
-NG community is still thriving, with fiercely passionate members!
-” "Certain french and italian members of the community are hated in this hobby since they charge absurd prices, a big source make boots and rip off people. They also believe taxes that they have to pay their government increase the price of the item when reselling it for their insane prices."

Please let me know if I'm wrong or off about anything!

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
Just an FYI, my panel will be tomorrow down at the SeaGate center in Toledo from 7-8PM. The con itself runs from 11am to midnight, I believe.
Making some final changes now and gonna be assembling a slideshow for pictures and stuff.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
POST-PANEL REPORT!
It went really well! I had about 15 or so people show up I believe. It went really smoothly and everybody had a good time. I really hyped up turf masters for people and taught people some shit they didn't know, so that made me feel good.
The con I went to actually had a lame neo geo X setup in their game room, so I asked to borrow their sticks to use for my panel which helped a lot. I brought in a couple MVS carts to kinda show how big they were.

Overall everything went awesome! Thanks you guys for the input and helping me shape my overall panel.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Very cool, glad to hear it went well! Did you happen to tape it by chance? Sorry I couldn't make it out, maybe next year will be a possibility.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
Nah, didn't really have a proper setup for that.
I'll be at Ohyaocon this coming weekend, not as a panelist though.