Neo Geo Overclocking Experiences?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I know there are some overclock thread in Tech Support, but not much info on results in different games.

Those of you that have done some overclocking on your system, can you list your results? The main reason I'm asking is I'm releasing a new version of the NBM with a spot for a SMD crystal for overclocking.

DS65787.jpg

Basically you just need to cut the clock line to the 68k and wire the existing 12mhz and the onboard 16mhz to a switch. Testing on my 1C and 1B work fine with Slug 2, but I havent done extensive testing with other games.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
It will have other ill effects. Sure some games might run better, but you have other variables that are dependent on that static clock speed. Such as internal timers.

Also, instead of cutting the trace I would recommend lifting the pin, as its more easily reversible in the future. I would also use a variable frequency oscillator to allow easy switching back and forth between stock and "overclocked".

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Jeff Kurtz overclocked my AES just to play Slug 2 with I think he used oscillator w/ a socket (no I spelled that wrong) and a 16mhz speed crystal. Got a blk rocker switch on the back of system to turn it off. It works like a champ on Slug 2 doesn't tke out all of the slowdown but you can indeed tell a big difference in the game that's for sure.

But, I haven't tested it on other games just Slug 2.

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
It will have other ill effects. Sure some games might run better, but you have other variables that are dependent on that static clock speed. Such as internal timers.

Also, instead of cutting the trace I would recommend lifting the pin, as its more easily reversible in the future. I would also use a variable frequency oscillator to allow easy switching back and forth between stock and "overclocked".

You cant lift the pin on a PLCC 68k. There are no plans on adding a variable frequency oscillator, I just added this for a quick and easy overclock. I realize several other games wont benefit from it. I'm trying to get a list of those games it does work with.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
James?

[I think FF2 is another game that benefits from overclocking, but I've never done it myself.]

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Well, it seems there hasn't been a lot of testing done. I'll test every game next week and record the results.

vinnieboy1

New Challenger
I have my AES that I over clocked and using 16mhz crystal I added a switch in the back so I can switch it on /off. Works great with Metal Slug 2 most of the slowdown is gone.
Other games I've tried not so good. There is messed up graphics on other games. I basically
Did this just to play MS2. No regrets

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
will you doing an version for the Neo Geo CD and CDZ?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
will you doing an version for the Neo Geo CD and CDZ?

Yes, a new NeoCD version is already finished. I did add an overclock option to it, but it does not work. It plays the intro animation, but when you get to the CD Menu the graphics are garbled and it will not load any games.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I tried mine last night with other games and yes it is scrambled. But imo its worth just having it if your a Slug 2 fan.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I tested all the slugs at 16mhz, all ran fine. FF2 was a catch 22 since it fixed some flickering problems but also caused graphic glitches in game.

Games that didn't respond well to overclocking (from what I remember):
Shock Troopers 2
Captain Tomaday
Fatal Fury 2

I think those were at 15mhz.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I wonder if these issues are just clock speed related or cpu overheating related?