Neo Geo - Intermittent CRT Blur

fluxrez

n00b
I picked up a beautiful 2 slot Neo Geo cabinet a few months back. Everything is in great shape, except the monitor is extremely green.

My buddy restores arcades and had some spare kits so we did a cap kit and a new flyback. The monitor looks about the same after words, but now it has an intermittent blur to it. Its not too bad, but its definitely distracting. Definitely seems like something is loose. Maybe a neck board or a bad solder joint. Anyone experience this?

For the Green screen I suspect ill have to have someone rejuvenate the tubes to get the color good again as well.

Attachments

• neogeo.jpg
    neogeo.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 20

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
The green could be due to the green drive transistor on the chassis, it could also be a tube issue like you say. Worth finding out which are the drive transistors for RGB and checking them all though.

The blur seems to be like you say, a bad solder joint, especially as it happened after you installed a cap kit and a new flyback. Re-check the soldering and maybe reflow it all. I would check the soldering of the focus wire on the neck board from the flyback.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Before diving in, check the RGBS connection to the chassis board. A lot of times those go bad, try wiggling it slightly and see if the color changes or unplug it then plug it back in. If you wiggle it and the whole header moves then it could be bad solder joints under the header. Other than that, the stuff Pulstar listed is common stuff to check as well.