Neo Geo dev: videos and a book

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Awesome, something I've read up on over the years but never really done anything with. Will be following this

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Based ! Very cool vid. You're good at explaining this. Subbed

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You posted on Reddit, so I was already watching. Thank you for these. I'm looking forward to more if you have the time.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I'm looking forward to more if you have the time.

Thanks guys, glad you liked it. I definitely plan to make more. I'm pretty excited as now I think I'll start diving into some more interesting stuff. These first 3 videos were a bit more introductory.

Here is episode 1

and 2

Eps 1 and 2 my voice over quality is much worse. I finally realized gotta record them in the closet :) Like I said, new to this, learning as I go :p

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yes, the first two vids were kind of "rail means rail" for me, so I'm looking forward to it.

7de826be-6441-4067-9812-ada916515e59_text.gif

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Good feedback. But I'd also say you're not the target audience for those two :) that's something I am also feeling out. Like I hardly go into code at all, and I think I will keep doing that most of the time. I also gloss over details here and there. I figure these videos are more casual, and if you really want to know, read the wiki or my book.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah, for sure. People who own seven Neo Geos aren't your target audience. You have to ease people into it. The videos should be digestible for a general audience, and not too dry.

ps 1 and 2 my voice over quality is much worse. I finally realized gotta record them in the closet :) Like I said, new to this, learning as I go :p
In the closet? What kind of mic are you using?

Last edited:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
In the closet? What kind of mic are you using?
My office has no carpet or soft material of any kind. It's just a giant echo chamber. I did the first two episodes in my office, and the third in my closet.

The improvement was drastic. I just mean sound quality, not talking about my stiff delivery. And it still can be improved a lot more. But just being in a room with lots of soft surfaces absorbed pretty much all the echo.

Oh yeah, I also set the recording level more correct on the mic (a Fifine condenser mic), ensured the levels were correct in Audacity, and applied proper noise reduction and normalization. That also helped.

I'm enjoying learning about all of this. It's a whole new world.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Sounds good. The third video does sound better. Maybe some kind of background music would help too.

I'm sure there's some audiophile who hates the way my voice recordings sound, but I have a lot of soft surfaces, and my mic doesn't pick up much background noise, so I don't do anything special for mine.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Sounds good. The third video does sound better. Maybe some kind of background music would help too.

I'm sure there's some audiophile who hates the way my voice recordings sound, but I have a lot of soft surfaces, and my mic doesn't pick up much background noise, so I don't do anything special for mine.
Yeah your voice over sounds nice and crisp, I wouldn't change a thing.

I did background music in the first 2. I will probably bring it back, it does help hide stuff :)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I really enjoyed that video on background animations, thanks for sharing.

It's fun seeing how ADK designing the Neo Geo went to the effort of simplifying lots of the boring housekeeping stuff when it comes to coding for it. But then, I'm sure lots of arcade systems were doing that by the 90s, often it's the same task over and over again. Still, neat to see.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
But then, I'm sure lots of arcade systems were doing that by the 90s
I'm curious how other systems did it. I suspect the CPS1 has no dedicated support because when SF2 speeds up the animations after winning a round, all animations speed up, not just the background ones. But that's just a guess, I know nothing about the CPS.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
A comment on the original mini game video by abeaof says they made the game (ie, abeaof was an SNK dev)

Does anyone know if that's true? It seems plausible because I can't imagine just stumbling on this game.