NEO*GEO CDZ question ???

tenmen

n00b
Hey everyone new member with probably stupid question but 'ere goes...

I'm considering purchasing a Neo Geo CDZ system to replace my old model naturally because of the faster load times. It seems though that the CDZ is a really mysterious system because I can never find a seller and have never heard a consistent story to its performance value...some sites claim that the CDZ actually cuts load times in half...others claim the difference between CD and CDZ models are unnoticable...then there are the claims that the CDZ crashes after an hour of play or something and melts game CDs (I'm sure this was an over exaggeration...is it???). My question is has anybody here actually used a Neo Geo CDZ unit? If so can you tell me if the system cuts the load times considerably or if I should just stick with the old CD model...also if it has any problems melting discs or anything :eek:

Ah...one more thing...I found this retailer JapanGamesNow who said they can get the system...are they a reliable source, for systems and games?

thanks much....................................................................................

crazycanuck

Crossed Swords Squire
I have a CDZ and it's working very well... I think, if you plan to buy fighting games that were released after the year 98, then it's quite useful to buy a CDZ but for older games, the original one is enough.

About Japangamesnow, it's expensive but very good materials !!!

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
I have Neo Geo CDZ and Neo Geo CD Top Loading model. Regarding loading time, CDZ does not cut it in half but it's relatively faster than regular CD machine.

Regarding "melt CD", Neo Geo CDZ has no problem loading "original authetic" SNK released Neo Geo CD games. However, if you put a "fake" or "CDR" into the machine, the lens will automatically lock up which is NOT fixable!!There are at least 2 persons whom I come acroess reported this problem.

I have always used my Neo Geo CDZ machine playing Neo Turf Masters and it works fine. I hope this information helps.

BTW, I am planning to sell one of my extra Neo Geo CDZ machine soon :glee:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
kitkit.com said:
I have Neo Geo CDZ and Neo Geo CD Top Loading model. Regarding loading time, CDZ does not cut it in half but it's relatively faster than regular CD machine.

Regarding "melt CD", Neo Geo CDZ has no problem loading "original authetic" SNK released Neo Geo CD games. However, if you put a "fake" or "CDR" into the machine, the lens will automatically lock up which is NOT fixable!!There are at least 2 persons whom I come acroess reported this problem.

I have always used my Neo Geo CDZ machine playing Neo Turf Masters and it works fine. I hope this information helps.

BTW, I am planning to sell one of my extra Neo Geo CDZ machine soon :glee:

Hey Tracy, it's me James from Hawaii. :buttrock: Glad to see you on here.

Tracy is a great seller of Neo Geo goods everyone.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
The CDZ also has a tendency to overheat, from what I've heard. Be careful with those extended gaming sessions.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
galfordo said:
The CDZ also has a tendency to overheat, from what I've heard. Be careful with those extended gaming sessions.

Install a fan, I did.

tenmen

n00b
Thanks for the info guys...think I'll probably just go ahead and invest in MVS equipment...dying for original Neo Mark of the Wolves!!!

Later :glee:

crazycanuck

Crossed Swords Squire
tenmen said:
Thanks for the info guys...think I'll probably just go ahead and invest in MVS equipment...dying for original Neo Mark of the Wolves!!!

Later :glee:

That's sure that if you buy a neo for MOTW, you better have an AES or MVS as it doesn't exist on CD...

crazycanuck

Crossed Swords Squire
kuk said:
For the mysterious material, SNK never explain what there are more in their CDZ

For the loading time
I make a test betwen Neo Geo CD1 and Neo GeoCD Z on TWENTY CD games...

here

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/neogeoCDworld/Dossiers/Chargement/Chargements.html

Interesting, it's a bit better but far from double speed... anyway, if you don't own any neo cd, it's better to go directly with the CDZ... if you don't play 10hours per day, there is no reason to burn out !!!

dojosky

Zero's Secretary
CDZ system is a great system but what kitkat.com said is correct !! the games needs to be patched b(back ups only) before playing on the CDZ but please buy the original neo geo cd games to show ur support LOL .

tenmen

n00b
thanks kuk for the loader list...man the load times look improved in comparison to old CD...but really doesn't seem that much improved (KOF loading 10 seconds quicker ) I wish so bad SNK came out with a real double speed model even if it would have been priced in the high three digits...

Only problem I have with CD unit besides the load times (have to be in a patient state of mind before playing) is that the original king of the monsters, eightman and legend of success joe were never released for it (LOSJ simply for the collector's value)...Gonna have to end up getting an MVS Eightman somewhere...

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I never really ran into any problems with my CDZ what-so-ever even after playing all day long. To prevent overheating you could put in a fan in it of course, but I just make sure the temperature of my room is atleast 70 degrees and its on a wooden surface. As for loading times it is on average 70-90% faster on almost all the fighters from 1995 and up. That alone is worth having it compared to the single speed. You will definitaly appreciate it when playing the Last Blade games. Also on another note for the CDZ there is no barring effect in the graphics like all single speeds I have seen. Also you couold always for the X-box emulator that runs blazing fast, I am sure that some games don't run correctly on it though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Anyone know if there is a way to upgrade the ram in the NGCD, it looks like that is the only reason why the CDZ is faster.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
I dont' know but you should change the bios too

tenmen

n00b
Is there a working Neo CD emulator for the Xbox??? Does it boot Neo CDs or would I have to download roms???