Neo Geo CD Rebellion - reset?

Tadaima

Host for Orochi
Hello everyone,

I got a Neo Geo CD boxed in mint condition two weeks ago. It works very well. But I encountered some problems. Here is how it goes.

-The Neo CD will go like this, when turned on: there's the Neo Geo CD and the little music, then a swift 'click' is heard -porbably from the CD player- and the system auto-resets. My system sometimes does it twice or thrice in a row. Very strange...

I always unplug the power source when I'm not playing. I keep the system away from dust, heat and bad treatments. My cd games are completely clean -I have a cd cleaning kit that works just fine-.

Sometimes, the system will load a game, for example KOF98, and, all of a suddent, resets and gets back to the "Wait For A Moment" control screen. At first, I thought I was pressing A B C and D plus Start without noticing, but I'm not. I thought one of my Neo Geo stick had gone crazy but it works very well. My house is correctly configured when it comes to power sources...

The whole problem is not that annoying, it's just very worrying! Has anyone encountered the same problems?

A friend told me that the first Neo Geo CD units were very unstable, the ones with the top loader. Is this true?

I noticed that not playing the system for two or three hours kind of undoes everything. I still don't know what to think since sometimes it gets into that auto-reset madness even after one day spent totally untouched, unplayed and unplugged.

CADMAN2K

Kabuki Klasher
I think the First thing you need to try is another NEO CD Power Supply. They have been known to Trip out under 'Load'. Even though you can test the supply with a Multi-Tester to Ensure the correct Voltage Output and it may read fine, Once plugged in to your Neo CD it starts drawing current and this is when you know if its fine or not.(Trip outs occur which causes your Neo CD to Reset)
My recommendation is try another Supply

Tadaima

Host for Orochi
Well, thank you for your answer. I don't have any other power source available but sometimes the Neo Geo CD will go just fine. I could play a game three hours straight last night and I sometimes left to go do something else, leaving the system turned on. I had no problem, no resest, no nothing...

I'm a bit confused.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Tadaima, I had the same problem with a CDZ. In my case, it was a loose power cord plug on the back of the console.

Have you tried whaggling on the power input cord while the console boots/runs? Does the problem get worse?

You can also mail me: takumaji@lupa.de

[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: Takumaji ]</p>

Tadaima

Host for Orochi
No, Takumaji, I haven't but I'm going to try right away. I noticed a little looseness in the way the plug "plugs" -redundance- into the power socket at the back of the Neo.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
On the other hand, the power supply is always "suspicious" if such reset problems occur.

I had a prob with my AES p/s some time ago, in this case it was a fried capacitor. Read the story <a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001509" target="_blank">here</a>.

[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: Takumaji ]</p>

Tadaima

Host for Orochi
I see.

Oh well, I just tried your recommendations and, there's no change at all. Mind you, it works fine. No reset, no glitch for five minutes and then, bang, reset-madness again.

The power source is genuine SNK. What should I do?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
As you can see from my old AES p/s thread, a friend of mine and I measured the power circuit of the power supply and found it very rippled and noisy due to a blown capacitor, which got replaced.

We used an oscilloscope for our analysis. Perhaps you know a guy who's into electronics with such kind of equipment. Otherwise, look for a spare Neo CD p/s on ebay (or post in the Wanted forum).

Also, it's possible that your CD drive stepper motor or its pcb is worn (the infamous "Neo CD burn-out"). Among other places, Shawn's Neo store offers a CD repair kit with a motor, pcb and a spare laser lense.

Tadaima

Host for Orochi
Well, thank you. I hope it's not that bad, though. I have a friend who's an electrotech and who dismantles gaming systems. I never asked him how it is like to work on a Neo Geo CD. I'll do it, somehow.

Anyway, I cleaned the lense and waited for it to dry. It worked very well and I could play without resets or "Disc Error something."

That system is driving me crazy... I'm getting into a Neo Geo CD monomania...

Tadaima

Host for Orochi
-Updates-

Tried the system this morning with KOF98, played for two hours straight without any reseto'mania.

CADMAN2K

Kabuki Klasher
Maybe, It was Dirt on the Lens after all. This Glitch can cause the Neo to Reset also, Mind OIwould always recommend trying to get your hands on a spare PSU as this is handy in keeping as a spare/backup just in Case.
Hope your Fear of Neo CD's passes away.

Tadaima

Host for Orochi
I cleaned the lense with alcohol once and everthing got fine. The thing is I'm a little afraid now to play it. I know it sounds corny but it scares me a little to play and then, click-click, reset madness.

Nevermind. I like the Neo Geo CD.

I checked out the NeoSTore but there's no repair kit available.