Neo Geo CD problems :(

valgalder

Kula's Candy
I have a standard Neo Geo CD system that is in perfect condition, and hasn't been played in years. Recently got back into playing games again and has been working fine. Today I had the system on the floor and was adjusting my TV when my PS2 controller fell from above (about 3 feet) right on top of the Neo CD while it was on, causing the lid to eject.

Ever since this happened, I will have trouble booting games, the system will randomly restart or give error messages to turn off machine. Am I doomed? There is no physical damage apparent, the motor spins.. could it be some sort of CD lens issue? I have no idea what to do. I don't want to buy another one, I just spent all kinds of money buying more games too :(

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Well, we know exactly when the problem started at least, so has to do with that controller hitting it. I'm thinking perhaps, maybe, I dunno, the lens is off track or something.

When you fire it up, can you hear the reader move or is it completely silent save for the motor spinning the disk?

New lenses can be had for $30 or less, just not sure if that's the issue yet... just food for thought.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
Thanks for the response.

Yeah i was thinking it might be off track or something, but no idea if that is anything that can be fixed besides replacing it. I can hear the motor spinning and it will fire up a game maybe 75% of the time. Sometimes the games will even run fine for a while. Load heavy games like KOF seem to crash more often.

Very surprised how fragile these things can be, especially since I take such good care care of these things. :/

DaffyDuck

Lazy ,
Neo CD Problem

You may want to look into the Emulator for the original XBOX. It is much faster than the Neo Cd and you can use all of your original Neo Cd games on it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You may want to look into the Emulator for the original XBOX. It is much faster than the Neo Cd and you can use all of your original Neo Cd games on it.

Really? That's what you suggest in the Tech support forum?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd recommend taking the top lid off to see if anything in the cd drive mechanism is slightly off. If you don't see anything broken, it may be as simple as disassembling/reassembing it. I don't remember exactly how the Neo CD drive is assembled, but in many systems the cd drive isn't really held down by much, so it's pretty easy to knock them out of whack.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
Thanks again for the replies! If it keeps acting up, I might have to dissemble it it and poke around at the mechanism. I'm hoping it will fix itself though. I was able to play through a few rounds of Metal Slug just a little while ago with no issues. I'm kind of scared to pop in KOF '98 again though. :oh_no:

gundamalpha

Rugal's Thug
I have the same problem too, since 2005, and the problem isn't solved yet. I have disassembled and checked but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the lid nor the lock (since I got the "lid opened" error).

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Well if it's intermittently running, I'm willing to bet the lens needs to be replaced, or is off kilter, or something.

I had the exact same problem with my Turbo Duo. Would sometimes fail to load, cut in and out on audio, hang, or just crash. Replaced the lens and it worked perfectly afterwards.

There really isn't much to any optical drive mechanically speaking; the motor and reader. Start with the easy. I look at things this way; if something isn't working, then it doesn't hurt to take it apart to try to fix it.