Neo Geo AES Work Ram Error

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
It's a simple troubleshooting tool that displays (or sounds) whether a signal is high or low or pulsing (by stretching the pulse in the case of a fast signal with low duty cycle). Good ones will tell you if there is no connection. In a computer system practically all pins should be pulsing, so you would easily be able to find which input pin is disconnected or shorted (to a power rail, shorts to signals can still be tricky).

Honestly there is a lot to check on the AES PCB. Most likely no ICs are damaged regardless of how often people here talk about replacing them. If you don't have the tools, it's still fixable, but will be really difficult since you need direction.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Like all have said if everything is connected 100% then you can only do so much. As for me judging from the soldering job on the work ram, if you have extra ram lying around and know how to handle it without shorting it then go ahead and try swapping the ram. That's just me though.

If you can get a logic probe then go that route FIRST.

ebichu

New Challenger
Like I said: I solder everyday at work since years, so that's not the problem. But I think I will give this one up. It's not my system, I don't own a logic probe at the moment and I was just doing it as a favour. And at least I don't have any ram lying around. Too bad but.. thanks anyway for all the help here :)