Neo Geo AES video output mod

vasilas432

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
This is an image comparison before and after the installation of the 470μf caps.
Before the installation the image was too dark so I had the brightness to 80 and the contrast to dynamic.
25536772.jpg

But after the the installation I left the TV adjustments to default - Brightness 45 and dynamic contrast to off.
p1010646q.jpg

For better judgement open pics to bigger windows!

Last edited:

vasilas432

With the brightness up you can see some minor details in some dark areas but I think its not necessary.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
congrats, looks like it was worth the effort!

vasilas432

The lines in the first pic are because of the photo. There were neither lines before nor they are after...
You can see a big deifference on the sign with the white arrow.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Have you done it?
nope, I only have MVSs. Did some other soldering jobs though...

btw. thanks skate for that brilliant video series, I thought I knew quite much about soldering, yet it taught me a thing or two (and I never would've watched those vids if they hadn't been ages old ^^).

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
nope, I only have MVSs. Did some other soldering jobs though...

btw. thanks skate for that brilliant video series, I thought I knew quite much about soldering, yet it taught me a thing or two (and I never would've watched those vids if they hadn't been ages old ^^).

You're welcome. I had been soldering since I was a teenager and they still helped me a lot. They are awesomely old, it reminded me of instructional videos in my early school years.

hokuto29

n00b
im waiting for my aes with the modded video output,the quality of MVS vs AES is huge,ill make a comparision as soon as i get back my neo,

great tech info posted here!!! cheers

hokuto29

n00b
Using RGB there should be no difference

as i said at the begining in this topic,using same tv and RGB cable(same for both systems),my AES looked dark and less cleared picture quality than my MVS,it was

like day to night in terms of definition,colors,brighter.........thats the reason i wanted to know if it was possible to mod the home system, same guy who did my MVS consolized

is doing the job,so cool its possible to get same quality!!!! maybe in some old tvs or arcade monitors(very poor picture quality) there are no much difference :)

NEO-GEO man

The reason your AES is dark is cause it has the wrong capacitor and resistor values installed, which is why later AES consoles have brighter RGB straight out of the box. Earlier consoles have the wrong values fitted, with 100uF and 68ohm.

Vasilas just changed the caps and resistors in his 3-3 console to the correct 470uF and 75ohm values and reported huge improvement.

Last edited:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
so does this need to be done on all of the AES systems to get good RGB output cause i just bought a scart cable for my aes gonna hook it to my PVM i have a high serial # 333818 jap console if that helps or will i have to open it up to see the board?

NEO-GEO man

Serial that high will almost certainly be a 3-6 so itll have the right caps and resistors, provided the board is the original one. You may need to mod it to prevent interference from internal influences though, which was a downside only to the 3-6.

Only the older consoles had the wrong capacitors and resistors fitted, not sure what the 3-4 has in it, 3-5 requires no change at all.

The region makes no difference to the RGB output.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Serial that high will almost certainly be a 3-6 so itll have the right caps and resistors, provided the board is the original one. You may need to mod it to prevent interference from internal influences though, which was a downside only to the 3-6.

Only the older consoles had the wrong capacitors and resistors fitted, not sure what the 3-4 has in it, 3-5 requires no change at all.

The region makes no difference to the RGB output.

thanks neo geo man! thats good info the cable should be here next week sometime so i will let you know how it looks

NEO-GEO man

Component is no where near as good as RGB. Its alot better than composite and s-video, but not RGB.

The bandwidth is generally much lower too, although none of this matters much on a 15kHz signal.

You should have the same image quality as the MVS yeah, there is nothing special about the MVS RGB output.

vasilas432

Component is no where near as good as RGB. Its alot better than composite and s-video, but not RGB.

The bandwidth is generally much lower too, although none of this matters much on a 15kHz signal.

You should have the same image quality as the MVS yeah, there is nothing special about the MVS RGB output.
Thanks!:rolleyes:I thought component was better cause component mod is too popular! But indeed my RGB output is so perfect I could't imagine anything better...

NEO-GEO man

No mate, component has about 8x less bandwidth.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
got my scart cable today and hooked it up to my PVM and it looks really good i didnt have to do anything to console at all

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Thanks!:rolleyes:I thought component was better cause component mod is too popular! But indeed my RGB output is so perfect I could't imagine anything better...

Americans use Component because that is the best quality connection we can use with analog TVs without buying specialty monitors.

NEO-GEO man

It depends on the brand you buy, cause its the same here too.