Neo Geo AES questions...controllers, cheapest version?

Neo Pocky

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hey I've been thinking of finally picking up an AES and I was wondering if the Neo Geo CD controller is compatible with it? Also which would be the cheapest version of AES to get? Thanks! :buttrock:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The Neo controllers all have the same button and joystick pinout so yes the CD controller would work.

As for the AES no specific version is more expensive, but of course a non-modded one can be had for about $100.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I really like the cd pad...hands down the best non joystick controller, just barely edging out the Saturn in my opinion, but if you are going to be playing any fighters, do yourself the favor and get a standard AES controller. Much easier to use for fighting games

I perfer my CD pad for shooters / puzzlers...and the AES pad for fighters (have both a cd and AES system)

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I really like the cd pad...hands down the best non joystick controller, just barely edging out the Saturn in my opinion, but if you are going to be playing any fighters, do yourself the favor and get a standard AES controller. Much easier to use for fighting games

I perfer my CD pad for shooters / puzzlers...and the AES pad for fighters (have both a cd and AES system)

Everything he said is Gospel Truth.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Yea KOF is almost unplayable on a CD pad. Metal Slug actually confuses me on a CD pad. I always want to hit the granade button to jump.

Fish_Monger

Another Striker
Get a JP AES with no box and one controller. Hit-Japan on ebay has good deals. Then pay Jeff Kurtz to put a unibios and composite hookup in it for you.

goldenegg

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The button layout on the CD pad took me forever to get used to. Now that I have experience with it, I nearly prefer it to using the large AES stick for the main reason of it being so much smaller. It's no longer an entire event setting up to play Neo Geo :buttrock:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The AES stick is the only way to play the Metal Slug series and the fighting games properly. If u have to have the Neo CD controller, you could get both (an AES stick and a controller). But if u want to play against someone else, 2 AES sticks is the way to go.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
seen them go cheap in tag sales. But of course that doesn't happen every day.

ronald0

Crazed MVS Addict
I use the Fighting Stick Neo II from Hori, it's definitely better than than the original and the bean controller in my opinion. It's heavier and sturdier and the buttons have a nicer feel to them. The CD joypad is great for shoot 'em ups.

Last edited:

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I use the Fighting Stick Neo II from Hori, it's definitely better than than the original and the bean controller in my opinion. It's heavier and sturdier and the buttons have a nicer feel to them. The CD joypad is great for shoot 'em ups.

I find the Hori to be the best for shooters because of the rapid-fire switches. Perfect stick for playing Metal Slugs.