Neo Geo AES Power Supply

atomk12

n00b
I just received the Neo Geo AES power supply adapter.
Model number: PSC 15A - 050S
5V 3A 15W, which I ordered from Mouser Electronics, $14.25
plus shipping.

I was unable to get my Neo Geo to work with this adapter, however I do not rule out the there
may be something else wrong with the system. The previous adapter which I still have,
has these specs: 5V 3A Rating 8W

I am not sure if this is much different, but I was very dissappointed that I could not get the system
on. Does anyone know what else may be wrong?
I have taken good care of this sytem, it just sat for a while in my closet, then one day I took it out to play and nothing.
Thanks for any info.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Wrong polarity of the plug is most likely to be the problem. The Neo requires positive external and negative internal whereas the majority of power supplies are the other way round. If this is indeed the problem you may well have screwed up your system.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I checked the specs of that PSU (the data sheet can be downloaded at www.mouser.com ) and yes, the problem is actually wrong polarity.
This Phihong PSU is the same that's for sale at the Neo Store but I'm pretty sure the polarity has been inverted on that one to fit the Neo. Do the same with yours and then try again, hoping you didn't damage the system (which may well be the case).

atomk12

n00b
Neo Geo AES Phihong power supply

Thanks for your input,
but how can I reverse the polarity on the Phihong adapter.
I do not understand what you mean.

Thanks.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Re: Neo Geo AES Phihong power supply

atomk12 said:
how can I reverse the polarity on the Phihong adapter.
I do not understand what you mean.

heh...I'm afraid you won't be able to do it even if I explain you how to...

But maybe you can hire a friend or someone that will do it for you, so here we go:

The power cord has two wires inside, one is the positive (5V) and the other is the negative (ground). The connector at the end of the cord has two metal contacts, one external (the one you see) and one internal. The Phihong PSU has the negative external and the positive internal. To work with the Neo it has to be the other way round. There are two ways to change the polarity:

1) Cut the connector at the end of the cord and replace it with a new one of the same size (which can be found at most electronics shops) and solder the two wires to its terminals in the correct way (+ outside, - inside).

2) Open the PSU plastic case, desolder the two wires and solder them back to each other's location. (this is the more professional method).

atomk12

n00b
Neo Geo AES power supply working

Well, thanks to the information that you provided my Neo is working. I followed your directions of inverting the polarity and the Neo came on last night, I could not believe it. I have been waiting for three years to fix this problem.
Thanks for all the info.

The only thing that I noticed is the picture get fuzzy when the game zooms out in Samarai showdown II. I have never seen this problem before.

Thanks again.
:glee:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Glad to hear it works! Thankfully the system wasn't damaged when you plugged in the PSU with the wrong polarity...