Neo Geo AES, England, please read

Voodudejnr

n00b
Can a Jap or US neo geo aes play in england without a step down converter, also are all the games cartridge.Were could one purchase a neo geo aes. What is a good price to pay for 1 also

Moob Butter

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Voodudejnr said:
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Old, my computing teacher used that joke... and it should be I0 ;)

Put the bitching aside :)

In the UK you'd expect to pay around £130 ish for a unmodded AES system without the box. More if your after A1 condition and box ect.

You will need a stepdown convertor if you buy a USA or JAP AES but a EURO version would work on our mains fine. Also you'll need a RGB scart lead otherwise the picture from a USA or JAP AES will be black and white on our PAL TV's.

And where to get a AES? well the forum memebers here are (by large) a honest bunch. Otherwise you can try ebay, telegames.co.uk (phone them) or videogameimports.com

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I use a telegames PSU (probably for a megadrive or jaguar) on my JPN AES with no problems at all.

Moob Butter

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
kernow said:
I use a telegames PSU (probably for a megadrive or jaguar) on my JPN AES with no problems at all.

I know of this, but some models don't work with a megadrive adapter (only the 1st gen?)

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
not too sure, Ive sold a few Jap AES systems with Genesis power supplies and they worked fine.
I will have a US AES for sale soon as I have one en route! I am in the UK, so maybe you an check out my website as Im way cheaper than telegames etc,

WWW.DJRCONSOLES.COM

David

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
madmanjock said:
. Also you'll need a RGB scart lead otherwise the picture from a USA or JAP AES will be black and white on our PAL TV's.

Untrue as long as the tv is 60hz compatible it will come through in full colour the main reason we brits use rgb scart leads is a better picture :buttrock:
Phix

Moob Butter

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
You tried phono NTSC on a PAL 60hz TV? it doesn't work I have

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
Phix said:
Untrue as long as the tv is 60hz compatible it will come through in full colour the main reason we brits use rgb scart leads is a better picture :buttrock:
Phix

Correct, I also test all my AES machines with AV leads, not scart leads and they all work fine, in full colour etc, the scart lead is a just abit sharper.

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
El Capitan said:

At £130 for their cheapest aes cart(according to their website) everyones cheaper than telegames, but if you're happy to pay silly amounts for common games, :loco: be my guest

SHO

Raiden's Valet
the megadrive adaptor is 10V, that is working fine on my neo geo

but aparently there are 5V version neo geo aes about, so you can't use the megadrive adaptor with these ones

just check what the voltage is marked on the original adaptor and you'll know

Phix

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
madmanjock said:
Meh works on all my tv's from a shity portable up to a wega :buttrock:
What ever tv your using cant be true 60hz as you can trick some tv's into displaying ntsc 60 hz using RGB scart , i used to do it on my old TV and playstation never could get my jap dc to work though :(
Phix

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
djrconsoles kr1 said:
if you're happy to pay silly amounts for common games, :loco: be my guest

Not necessarily. My mate popped in and got a new Nam 1975 for a tenner.

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
Superfamifreak said:
Not necessarily. My mate popped in and got a new Nam 1975 for a tenner.

thats because they literally had thousands of copies to get rid of, and its the usual crappy nam with pen markings no doubt. I have no problems with telegames, they're a good company, but if you want a different game than the "usual" titles they're trying to get rid of, their prices are stupidly high, I mean £1,599 for a Jap Kizuna? I wish I good get that for mine :)

Sumez

The Ultimate 11
madmanjock said:
Your TV apparently supports 60hz (PAL-60), but NOT NTSC.
So in your case, yes, RGB fixes the problem. But TVs like that are, to my knowledge, not too common, and probably an old model. Usually they support 60hz AND NTSC, or neither. And nearly every new European TV support both.

I use a phono AV cable on my (cheap) Philips TV from a NTSC AES, and it works fine. (yeah, I'd use RGB, but I only just got the AES, and I might sell it again soon. Got RGB on the MVS anyway)

You might be thinking of the problem on PlayStation, on which playing NTSC games on a modded PAL system, becomes grayscale. I believe this is because the NTSC games still send a NTSC coded signal, but the machine somehow tells the TV that it's sending a PAL signal. So the TV receives it as PAL-60, even though it's really using NTSC color. RGB naturally defeats this problem, since it's neither NTSC nor PAL.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
That was the joke - everyone is cheaper then telegames...
:oh_no:

djrconsoles kr1 said:
At £130 for their cheapest aes cart(according to their website) everyones cheaper than telegames, but if you're happy to pay silly amounts for common games, :loco: be my guest

Superfamifreak

20 Year Member
djrconsoles kr1 said:
thats because they literally had thousands of copies to get rid of, and its the usual crappy nam with pen markings no doubt.

Probably was lol. Just a question, but was the pen markings on the cart & insert as well?

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
Superfamifreak said:
Probably was lol. Just a question, but was the pen markings on the cart & insert as well?

I remeber speaking to them about 2 years ago, before they went on ebay, and I remember being told that all of their NAM's came from the middle east, hence why all of them had pen markings on the case, manual and cart.
Ive had a number of these, and ive never come across one where the insert itself has been marked, just the case, it must have been too much effort to pull the insert out - and also, the manual wasnt always marked either, sometimes just the baggie.
I remember them telling me that they had around 30,000 common aes games to get rid of and it had been ordered by their head office in the states, hence why they are off loading them on ebay and apparently they make a loss on virtually all of the aes games sold.

dreamstationx

Marked Wolf
20 Year Member
Hey there...
First you can check my website at www.neostore.f9.co.uk for any UK Neo Geo supplies.... some cheap stuff, some not so cheap but you may always haggle my prices and Im good for that... heck I do price some stuff a bit high sometimes but Im happy to lower it if its wrong... Its not always easy this Neo pricing lark....

Most of the other ladds on the forums are cool for buying too and will all hep you out with stuff..... :D

BUT, Telegames is Waaaayyyyy to expensive.. and Raven Games too.. although not as bad by a long shot.... Best best for Telegames is on ebay where its cheap and new good stuff.... watch the postage costs though!!

You CANNOT use a Telgames / Megadrive PSU on the low serial 5v Neo consoles... the silver serial sticker under the console will say USE PRO POW AC ONLY and this is a 5v system.... if it says USE PRO POW 2 or even PRO POW 3 then you should be fine as these are later systems and can handle the 9/10v supplies....

Easiest thing in the UK is to just use an RGB Scart so you get no fuss or hassle with picture problems.... You can use a Megadrive 1 scart if you wish...

AND stay way from UK PAL consoles.. they are 17.5% slower, 50hz speed and a small squashed letterbox picture too... they are censored and basically look shite and slow to play... like some of the old complaints the old SNES and PAL Megadrives used to get... UK games slow not like the JAP ones...

Meh!:p

Superfamifreak

20 Year Member
djrconsoles kr1 said:
I remember them telling me that they had around 30,000 common aes games to get rid of and it had been ordered by their head office in the states, hence why they are off loading them on ebay and apparently they make a loss on virtually all of the aes games sold.

Wouldn't surprise me. Have you ever seen inside their warehouse? I was there once when they had a PCE delivery and fuck me, literally the was a tranny vans worth of stuff piled up behind the counter!!

May have to pop over there on friday or saturday, see what offers they will do me.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Superfamifreak said:
Wouldn't surprise me. Have you ever seen inside their warehouse? I was there once when they had a PCE delivery and fuck me, literally the was a tranny vans worth of stuff piled up behind the counter!!

May have to pop over there on friday or saturday, see what offers they will do me.

30,000? lol

good luck man