Need help restoring a MK2 machine

Punisher5.0

Cheng's Errand Boy
So today I got a working Mortal Kombat 2 machine for free. It has a couple of issues. I think it might have been converted or Frankensteined together. The monitor says Nintendo 1984 on it.

So the screen is dark. The brightness knob has already been turned up to the max and it's still dark even for MK2. Also, the game plays with horizontal black bars like it's in widescreen mode. Adjusting the vertical knob doesn't help.

The light for the marquee is missing. I was hoping maybe someone might know what that would be. Looks like it's supposed to be a fluorescent. Also maybe looking for the missing art work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• MK2.JPG
    MK2.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 37
  • MK23.JPG
    MK23.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 37
  • MK222.JPG
    MK222.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 37
  • MK34.JPG
    MK34.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 37
  • MK25.JPG
    MK25.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 37

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
To fix the widescreen blackbars, you are going to have to adjust the vertical and horizontal size pots on your chassis. They are often labeled H SIZ and V Siz.

The darkness could just be that your RGB gain and RGB cut off are not high enough. From my experience, midway boards need their rgb gain/cut offs high.

IF this doesn't help, might just need a cap kit.

Last edited:

Punisher5.0

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks for the tips.

When I adjust the V-size pot ( the one in the second pic on the bottom right corner) it just cuts off the top and bottom of the screen.

Where would I find adjustments for the RGB gain and cut off?

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I would go ahead and cap it. Those Nintendo monitors aren't the easiest to work on though. If the cap kit does not fix the brightness then you may need a new flyback.