Need Help Connecting combos in CvS2

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
No matter how hard i try i cant get my combos to follow through they allways block after the light attacks.

Can anyone give some tips please it would be greatly appreciated

AztekNinja

Fire Starter, Instigator, the guy from RE5
Well, let's see how we can solve your difficulty.

We'll use Ryu as our example, since I saw you chose him for two matches against Wes. A simple c.sh, c.sh, c.shxxSuper hadouken can be done one of two ways.

*1-You can do the 3 light attacks and then as quickly as possible do two full quarter circle motions to pull out your super Hado.

or

*2-The way I do it. Do the light attacks and then do a full dp motion very quickly.

You see with option one, you have to take the stick back to neutral after the light attacks. Wasting time and risking a block. With option two, you use the already stored down motion of the light attacks to continue with the super. Basically, since you are already holding down all you really need is a quick dp motion to get the super out. The dp motion completes the required two QCFs motion for the super. Try it out.

Repeat after me....I will never initiate a random super again! :mr_t:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Negative edge - Learn it. Negative edge means making the button press recognized by not actually pressing the button, but releasing it. Let's say you want to two-in-one Ryu's Shinkuu Hadoken from his crouching FP. When you press FP, hold it down and quickly do 2 qcf motions, and then release. When you release it, it'll activate your super. If you try to be too fast with pressing FP, releasing (like normally pressing a button), and then trying to do 2 qcf motions you're just going to get your first qcf motion when you release the punch so it'll just be a regular hadoken. This may seem a little weird to explain, but when you're playing you'll realize what I'm talking about.

Another way to do it is like the old Super Turbo days, when in order to cancel a normal into a super you have to buffer the first part of the super motion. So you would do it like this:

qcf.gif
down.gif
+
HP.gif
downright.gif
right.gif
+
LP.gif

Note, you can negative edge the HP at the end instead of doing the LP. Normally I just hold down HP and then press LP (I seem to have a better success rate). Just note that motions are very strict for doing it the Super Turbo way, so when you're doing the motion quickly you have to be sure you're holding down when you press punch and then complete the motion for the super, so that way you're crouch punching to cancel off of it.

In all honesty though, there's no reason to do it the old way unless you're playing Super Turbo. I just stick with negative edging stuff. In one of our vids I ran under one of your jumping attacks using Ken and did a c.mk and negative edged it into his Shippu-Jinrai-Kyaku. Two-in-ones are much easier to land.

There's some good links that can be had with normals. I almost always go for the c.lp, c.lk, c.mk normal 3 chain. You can follow it up and cancel the last hit with a special or mix up with throwing them instead of following up.

Also, another thing about your K Groove - Don't waste supers with it. When you're raged you can do a lot more damage than a super because you have a 35% damage boost on your attacks. If you go on the all-out offensive and land big blows you can do more damage than the super itself. The only time I really do a super in K is when it's verified off of something else, or it's right at the end and I can do something like c.mk xx Shinkuu Hadoken for tick damage.

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
ken_dong said:
any advice about the P groove?

don't use it :p
even with super-cancels (does a-ism even allow this? i don't have an xbox cvs2 copy yet) it's not the most friendly groove to use between them all.

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
Yeah I had that problem myself, seems like those light hits just bounces the enemy up further so you can't finish the combo.

I watch those combo videos and various high level matches and they make it look easy.

I never knew what negative edge was until now, I heard the phrase many times. So let me get this straight, NE is basically manipulating the reaction time of the buttons.

BTW kafuin_gaira how'd Final Round 8 go? Any "AY AY AY's" down there on 3S?

Last edited:

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
sup man, it was fun but crazy in more ways than i'd care to discuss.
lots of good matches to see, and yes, plenty of crowd support during various matches :mr_t:

negative edge just takes advantage of the fact that the game engine recognizes a button press and a button release in the same way. if you press and hold a button, that registers as one attack. if you release the button after holding it, that registers as one attack also.

another technique (for supers especially) is to drum the buttons really quickly at the end of the motion to get a few extra potential presses to register.

in the example being used you could do c.sh, c.sh, c.sh, qcfx2 +(fierce,strong,jab,fierce) just to give you some leeway on the timing. not as accurate by any means, but it does work.

AztekNinja

Fire Starter, Instigator, the guy from RE5
ken_dong said:
any advice about the P groove?

Since no one took a stab at it, I'll help you out.

P groove is not a bad wrong, infact no groove is bad. Just like no character is bad...well probably Kyosuke...but anyway. P is a awesome momentum groove.

What you want to do is not think of Parry like a a magical reversal option. You got to use it to turn the tide of the game in your favor. Parry the fireballs, the jump ins....simple stuff like that. But dont go trying to parry Chuns thunder legs super, thats just retarded if you haven't practiced it. The parry in P groove is there to turn the momemtum of the game in your favor. Say you are being rushed by Ryu and he does j.Fierce on you, you parry it(you are using Ken) and pop him with a dp or a nice combo string leading into a Reppa. You see, a simple parry just got the whole match back in your control and you now are the aggressor instead of the opponent.

Basically, use it only for momemtum changing purposes. Know you have it and be ready for opportunities. Don't throw it out thinking you are playing Third Strike. Also, save your one super for at least your last guy. You may get lucky and get your meter two fill fully two times in a match, but it doesnt always happen. BEst to have it ready for a vicious momemtum switch on your foe. I hope I explained it well and that it helps you.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
One more quick note that Wes didn't hit.

If you play in a groove with a roll, negative edging is pretty much the only reliable way to RC a super. I can't do it without negative edge at least, maybe some of you guys can, but I can't.

Q-

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
G-Product said:
yeah don't listen to people who say P-Groove Geese is good :rolleyes: are muthafuckin' wrong!

K Groove Geese is better than P Groove for the fact that he can be raged, but P Groove is a great groove. It's really helpful for characters who don't have reliable anti-airs who normally have people crossing them up all over the place. It makes them think twice. The super-cancel that was incorporated into the Xbox is a welcomed addition imo, I don't care what people say. It needed something like that to compete, because it takes a long fucking time to build up that bar so you might as well get more ways to verify the super. P Groove Geese with c.lp, c.mk, Ja-ei-ken super cancel into Raging Storm does STUPID damage. If you can't realize the damage possibilities P Groove Geese with super cancel can give you then you are muthafuckin' wrong. Another long drawn out combo that takes more effort and does less damage than the RS super cancel is c.lp, c.mk, ja-ei-ken, super cancel before the last hit with Deadly Rave, and on the last hit of that do s.HP xx Ja-ei-ken.

@qube - Man, I don't play enough in the arcades to RC. Hell, even when I am playing in the arcades, I don't RC (enough). It's crazy because I sort of forget it's there until I get an RC Honda whooping my ass. That's one thing I wish I had near me - an arcade with CvS2 and good comp.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
SonGohan said:
@qube - Man, I don't play enough in the arcades to RC. Hell, even when I am playing in the arcades, I don't RC (enough). It's crazy because I sort of forget it's there until I get an RC Honda whooping my ass. That's one thing I wish I had near me - an arcade with CvS2 and good comp.

Yeah, I've never played on XBL, so I guess I forget that it's been fixed there ;)

I've been lucky living in Houston, Detroit, and Omaha, as the arcade scenes are still really strong in all three citys, with tons of comp. Such a totally different atmosphere from playing at home.

I've been playing fighters in the arcades since SF1, so I've been really spoiled by that. I can't seem to leave it, and I'm almost 30 lol!

Only bad thing is that my local arcade only has KOF '03, which I don't care for much. I've been playing lots of '01 lately, but alas there's no comp at my house :(

C'mon over and we'll rock some KOF.

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
thanks for all the feedback guys!

p.s. roll canceling is the cheapest bullshit ever........I hate glitch's

also what does hitbox mean??