Need help building a supergun.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
So far: I have two power supplies, one full JAMMA harness, and one NeoBitz encoder right here with jrok's encoder and sync-cleaner coming in very soon.

Last edited:

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
A good one is one that will work for your needs.
Best way to get that is to make one!

Now I needed one that could supply a lot of power as I have a 6-slot MVS. That was a pain in the ass. Then after building one I realized I needed more stuff, like coin buttons for X-Men. I also kept on thinking of different ways to lay it all out. Eventually I want to build myself another one. I figure even after that I'll still find more things I would want put in. Hard to plan ahead for every contingency.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Word dude. Make it yourself, that way you can add what you want, when you want and can fix it if something happens.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
Ugh. I'm not so good with electronics. Okay, do you have any good sites in mind that can walk me through building one?

mdm

Rugal's Thug
Any recommendation for a good power supply? I've started getting parts together for a supergun.

I assume I need a power supply that can output +5v, +12v, and -5v for maximum compatibility with various PCBs, right? (I know not all PCBs uses -5v, but some does, so I'm including that too.)

Some of power supplies I looked at, they states that they're not compatible with hyper neo geo 64 (I think it's called SC2000 or something). So... I'm kinda lost here.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Any recommendation for a good power supply? I've started getting parts together for a supergun.

I assume I need a power supply that can output +5v, +12v, and -5v for maximum compatibility with various PCBs, right? (I know not all PCBs uses -5v, but some does, so I'm including that too.)

Some of power supplies I looked at, they states that they're not compatible with hyper neo geo 64 (I think it's called SC2000 or something). So... I'm kinda lost here.

Easiest is to just get an arcade PSU and then you can always take it out of the enclosure and put in your gun (depending on size) or build in it's own enclosure.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
Easiest is to just get an arcade PSU and then you can always take it out of the enclosure and put in your gun (depending on size) or build in it's own enclosure.

Yeah, but where can I find one? Majority of the site out there don't help at all...

Example -

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/15a-arcade-switching-power-supply-110w/prod_251.html
(Is this what I need?)

http://www.happcontrols.com/powersupplies/power_supplies_amusement.htm
(This one isn't helping, almost all of the power supplies is for an exact machine, no "arcade power supply". )

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAPP-15-AMP-POW...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca62082dc
(Ebay, but is this exactly what I need?)

See what I mean? I'm kinda lost here.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Yeah, but where can I find one? Majority of the site out there don't help at all...

Example -

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/15a-arcade-switching-power-supply-110w/prod_251.html
(Is this what I need?)

http://www.happcontrols.com/powersupplies/power_supplies_amusement.htm
(This one isn't helping, almost all of the power supplies is for an exact machine, no "arcade power supply". )

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAPP-15-AMP-POW...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca62082dc
(Ebay, but is this exactly what I need?)

See what I mean? I'm kinda lost here.

I would get the one from jammaboards.
Lizardlick also has similar ones available but you may have to wait a little longer.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
Thank you. I'll go ahead and order one. I'll come back if I have any other problems later on.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
I've ordered a power supply, a fully wired JAMMA harness, and JROK video encoder.

Is those enough to test to see if I've wired everything correctly? (Just connect JAMMA harness to power/to PCB, and connect video to power/pcb, and see if the PCB turns on/display images. )

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
I've ordered a power supply, a fully wired JAMMA harness, and JROK video encoder.

Is those enough to test to see if I've wired everything correctly? (Just connect JAMMA harness to power/to PCB, and connect video to power/pcb, and see if the PCB turns on/display images. )

Yeah. That will tell you if things are okay so far. Then you can dive into your audio circuit and wiring up your player controls and test/coin switches, etc.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
One more new question. I've seen on many sites that people are recommending that I buy a NeoBitz encoder and JROK sync cleaner for the maximum compatibility with various PCBs. (Composite/S-Video/Component)

So I've decided that I'll go down this route. But after looking at NeoBitz's screenshot of the board itself, I don't see any output for composite/s-video/component, so I assume I'll have to create one myself.

What parts will I need to obtain in addition to the NeoBitz board?

Thanks!

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
One more new question. I've seen on many sites that people are recommending that I buy a NeoBitz encoder and JROK sync cleaner for the maximum compatibility with various PCBs. (Composite/S-Video/Component)

So I've decided that I'll go down this route. But after looking at NeoBitz's screenshot of the board itself, I don't see any output for composite/s-video/component, so I assume I'll have to create one myself.

Thanks!

Depends on what neobitz you buy. You can buy the DIY kit for composite and svideo or you can get the fully loaded one that is all assembled and comes ready with composite, svideo, component. Just shoot Jeff an email and he can give you all the latest pricing and options, etc.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Thanks!

Make sure you get the component version, in fact get a component only version. It will come with the gold video jacks, also ask Jeff if the stereo jacks are included. And don't forget you need a JROK sync cleaner. The Neobitz onboard sync cleaner works ok but not as good as in conjunction with the JROK.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Okay. JROK is pretty fishy to me now. I've sent him an e-mail inquiring about jrok encoder and a sync-cleaner, he sent me back price and address to send the money order to.

I later changed my mind and wants to pay him via PayPal. I've sent him numerous e-mails, and never got anything back for about a week and half now.

I'm just glad I didn't send him that money order, otherwise, I'll be out 100 dollars and a video encoder.

NeoBitz is only a bit better, he's taking his sweet time shipping my encoder to me *sigh*

Anybody here have a jrok sync-cleaner for sale?

Both get slammed with orders.

Jrok is probably easiest to get a hold of via PM through KLOV. He is a little tricky to get a hold of, but that is probably the best way... and he has always come through from my experience and those I know.

Jeff is usually pretty response via his email that is listed on the neobitz site. And he doesn't just "take his sweet time shipping". He manually assembles all those encoders. So sometimes he is waiting on more parts, or simply building boards to fill orders.... these things take time. Just be patient with Jeff, he always delivers 100% and is top notch all the way.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
You're right, I should be more patient... I'll try getting in touch with Jrok at KLOV.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have sync cleaners in my store, I'll be home later today.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My recomendations.

1. Both Jrok and Neobitz (who happens to be a mod here) are solid.

2. Edit: Ignore what I posted before.

3. Start simple. Get the power wired up, then test for sound, then wire up video. Then do some controlls. Focus on one step at a time. Don't worry about the big picture. If you build it yourself, you will be able to make additions/changes as you go.

4. You can buy a sync cleaner, but I wouldn't put it in until you have everything up and running. Just one more thing that can go wrong.

5. Not sure if you have one, But get a multimeter and learn to use it before you do anything. Also practice soldering if you need to.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My recomendations.

1. Both Jrok and Neobitz (who happens to be a mod here) are solid.

2. Don't get the Neobitz if you want to play games other than Neo Geo.

He's gonna be using the component circuit on the Neobitz which is better than the component circuit on the JROK and has a high compatibility rate. Your statement only applies to the Composite and S-video circuit.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
He's gonna be using the component circuit on the Neobitz which is better than the component circuit on the JROK and has a high compatibility rate. Your statement only applies to the Composite and S-video circuit.

Ohh yeah... I take that back....

I haven't used either in a while..... SVHS/composite is basically obsolete now anyways.

DUMMY ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

mdm

Rugal's Thug
Jrok responded, he was out on a business trip. Feeling pretty stupid now. Going to edit my response out, and keep this in my mind as a lesson on impatience and its cause/effect.

Yeah.

Getting stuff from Jrok and NeoBitz now, will need one more sync cleaner, then I'll have enough stuff for two superguns. Still waiting on my package from JammaBoards.com (power supply and JAMMA harness).

mdm

Rugal's Thug
I'm looking at supergun guide at Jamma Nation X, as well as the picture diagram of it, but I have a question. How do I connect the audio from JAMMA harness to STEREO output, NOT the mono output? I only see a mono audio line leading to DPST switch, and it outputs to a single output phono jack?

How do I wire it to output through two jacks (red/white audio jacks)?