NEC Multisync XP29 Plus issue

SePh1r0tH

n00b
Hello there, I recently purchased an NEC Multisync XP29 Plus for playing shmups and my AES.

I can't get any picture on it at all.

When I turn it on I just hear the fan and the static noise that you hear when most CRTs are powered on.

Other then that, the screen doesn't function it seems.

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Thanks!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Have you tried multiple video inputs?

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Do you get any on screen display? Do you get anything if you wind the brightness right up??

If not, you need to see if the end of the tube is glowing like it should be. Sounds like the HV is coming up from what you describe, but if the tube heater is dead youll get nothing. You should see a light orange glow inside the end of the neck. Dont move the astig rings on the tube neck, they are very difficult to set correctly and they are critical for good beam focus.

Its not a good idea to adjust any trim pots inside an NEC unless you have the service manual, cause if you adjust the wrong thing, youll render the set useless until a tech can recalibrate it. And that includes the G2 on the HV transformer ( adjusting that usually wont stop the set working, but it may cause the brightness and contrast settings to be totally rooted. )

If you open it up, post a pic of the board for me if you can.

Last edited:

SePh1r0tH

n00b
No on screen display at all, it still looks the same as it does when its off. I'll definitely post a pic when I get around to opening it, just busy with work right now. Thanks a lot for the reply man.