Naomi Universal Cabinet - How to ID Monitor?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
So, I went out for Pizza yesterday, and I got to talking to the guy who owns the arcade cabinets at the Pizza place.

Long story short, he's offering to sell me a Naomi Cabinet for a KILLER deal, delivered to my front door.

Now, after doing a little research, I know the Naomi Cabs have monitors that are usually 31khz, but they also were available with Tri-Sync monitors (Net City?), or could be converted to 15khz provided you installed the proper chasis.

I don't have as much of a use for a 31khz cab, but I'll probably still buy it, because it'll be cheaper to buy a new monitor for it than waiting for a proper tri-sync cab (it's that good of a deal).

My questions are this:
Is there an easy way to identify whether it has a Sanwa 29E31S or Nanao MS-2932-S, or will I have to ask to look under the hood?

How difficult would it be to convert it to 15khz if it had a 31khz monitor?

If I were to buy a Tri-Sync and ditch the original 31khz monitor, what models match the curvature of the Naomi Universal bezel, or, is it possible to get one that doesn't match and buy a new bezel?

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
So, I went out for Pizza yesterday, and I got to talking to the guy who owns the arcade cabinets at the Pizza place.

Long story short, he's offering to sell me a Naomi Cabinet for a KILLER deal, delivered to my front door.

Now, after doing a little research, I know the Naomi Cabs have monitors that are usually 31khz, but they also were available with Tri-Sync monitors (Net City?), or could be converted to 15khz provided you installed the proper chasis.

I don't have as much of a use for a 31khz cab, but I'll probably still buy it, because it'll be cheaper to buy a new monitor for it than waiting for a proper tri-sync cab (it's that good of a deal).

My questions are this:
Is there an easy way to identify whether it has a Sanwa 29E31S or Nanao MS-2932-S, or will I have to ask to look under the hood?

How difficult would it be to convert it to 15khz if it had a 31khz monitor?

If I were to buy a Tri-Sync and ditch the original 31khz monitor, what models match the curvature of the Naomi Universal bezel, or, is it possible to get one that doesn't match and buy a new bezel?

You can only convert the nanao one to a tri sync perwhat I was told. You need to install the chassis from a net city/or a blast city, the 2931. There are also three different types of tubes that were used and thus three different types of bezel.

There isn't a fail.proof way to tell from outside the cab, but: The US didn't get the tri sync models, but did get US, Japanese, and UK models depending on the game. If it's a Virtua Tennis machine, chances are that it's a US machine with a Nanao and a Toshiba tube. The crazy taxi and Wild Rider cabs are JP region cabs with an added isolation transformer and usually a Nanao chassis, though I have seen a CT with a Sanwa setup as well. The 18 wheeler and Outrun 2 machines are usually UK models with a built in step down converter and every one of those are always Sanwa monitors.

My monitor guy said you can put a Makvision monitor in there, but the bezel leaves some space. I don't know which model bezel he is referring to though. I can tell you that I have a US, a JP, and a UK models, and the two with the nanao monitors will in no way fit the Sanwa model. All three models have vastly different remote boards as well.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
The remote board in the CP will be different... You should be able to find pics.

Afraid Im not much help on the rest. I'd guess a 2931 or 2933 tri sync chassis would fit but you'd want to confirm that.

Edit: DZ beat me to it

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I do know that this cab was a Zombie Revenge cab.
Anyone know which monitor that might be?

and by MakVision, you mean?
http://www.weiya.com.tw/products_detail.asp?le=english&fid=26&pid=626&tCatName=CRT MONITOR

Would this one fit in a Naomi Universal?

I'm not aware if Sega shipped zombie revenge in these cabs or not, so that I couldn't help you with. Makvision uses a Wei ya chassis, but they were sold through Happ in the US. I'm not sure if that model you posted is the same.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
You can only convert the nanao one to a tri sync perwhat I was told.

I thought it was the Nanao that couldn't be tri-sync'ed. You can definitely get a Wei-Ya Tri-sync chassis for the Sanwa's, at least.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I thought it was the Nanao that couldn't be tri-sync'ed. You can definitely get a Wei-Ya Tri-sync chassis for the Sanwa's, at least.

I was told the Nanao with the 2932 chassis could be swapped out for a 2931 and become tri sync. That's cool to know about the Sanwa too. So is that one of those cheap $30 ones you can buy on aliexpress?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
If that's true that both can be converted somehow, that's wonderful news.

I'm definitely going to buy this cab, then.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
You don't even have to chassis swap, if you don't want. A $20 CGA to VGA scaler, and a RS/FrancoB/Konami/Namco JAMMA----->JVS adapter = 15k games on 31k only cab.

The adapters (save Franco's) all introduce a modicum of lag...and the adapters are only cheap, if you find them cheap...but, it's less expensive than a chassis and tube swap.

Less of a ballache, too.

If you have a 360 &/or a naomi net boot set up, you could have years of fun w/ out 15k anyway.

Either way, congrats on the get!

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I was told the Nanao with the 2932 chassis could be swapped out for a 2931 and become tri sync. That's cool to know about the Sanwa too. So is that one of those cheap $30 ones you can buy on aliexpress?

Do the nanao's need a yoke swap as well? If I knew they could have been swapped I would have kept mine.

I'm sure the Sanwa equivalents are the rodotron 666a or the wei ya 2931a. Not sure if either are still available to be honest, picked up mine years ago with it already swapped and haven't really looked at the chassis since.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Looks like a JVC to Jamma adapter is fairly easy to make.
If I built my own supergun, I can easily do a converter that won't introduce any lag.

Those tri-sync chassis seem to be kind of hard to find these days, though.
I might have to settle for a CGA to VGA converter until I find one.

31khz isn't a bad thing though. I have a Thinkpad W500 that can run everything on MAME up to Naomi stuff without problems, so I could always make it into a MAME cab powered by the laptop.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Looks like a JVC to Jamma adapter is fairly easy to make.
If I built my own supergun, I can easily do a converter that won't introduce any lag.

Those tri-sync chassis seem to be kind of hard to find these days, though.
I might have to settle for a CGA to VGA converter until I find one.

31khz isn't a bad thing though. I have a Thinkpad W500 that can run everything on MAME up to Naomi stuff without problems, so I could always make it into a MAME cab powered by the laptop.

If you buy a jvspac it will be plug and play with mame. No wiring involved.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Take a picture of the remote board and you can easily tell what it is. If it's white and has pots, it's a Sanwa 31khz. If it's green with pots, it's a Nanao 2932 31khz and it it only has 3 buttons, it's a Nanao trisync.
I also want to say that these are the most common of the 3 chassis for this machine. If the tube/chassis was swapped, who knows what can be in there.

But a picture would be best.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Take a picture of the remote board and you can easily tell what it is. If it's white and has pots, it's a Sanwa 31khz. If it's green with pots, it's a Nanao 2932 31khz and it it only has 3 buttons, it's a Nanao trisync.

But a picture would be best.

I have one machine that has two remote boards and one that has a giant remote board with Sonic colored buttons and Sonic silk screened on the board.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
I have one machine that has two remote boards and one that has a giant remote board with Sonic colored buttons and Sonic silk screened on the board.

I've never seen any chassis in my life that uses 2 remote boards at the same time. I'd like to see a picture of that. And the giant remote board with sonic colored buttons sounds interesting. Mind taking a picture of it, along with the chassis? And were your tube/chassis swapped any any point?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I've never seen any chassis in my life that uses 2 remote boards at the same time. I'd like to see a picture of that. And the giant remote board with sonic colored buttons sounds interesting. Mind taking a picture of it, along with the chassis? And were your tube/chassis swapped any any point?
I reread your post again and I see what you mean now. I'm thinking the remote boards and the test/service/degauss which are all in one place on a normal Naomi. My other two cabs have the test/service/degauss in a totally different spot. My mistake....misread that.

Last edited: