Naomi set up... is it worth it?

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
Or should I just wire up a DC to Jamma adapter and save myself some money?

Are there any Pro's to getting the Naomi?

Piccolo_DBz

Astra,
The only pro is that it's the actual arcade game. I got my setup because CVS 2 was only in japan for the DC if it wasn't I would've stuck a DC in my cabinet

Oh and if you like games like Melty Blood and Virtua fighter 4 the naomi would be the way to go. Make sure to get a Naomi 2 if your gonna start a setup.

Last edited:

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
Are there any Pro's to getting the Naomi?

Depends on what your tastes are, really. Would you buy an ST-V if you had a Sega Saturn? It's the same kind of thing.

There are some Naomi games that aren't on Dreamcast (e.g. Exzeal).

Naomi wiring gets pretty crazy pretty fast, FYI. Depending on what hardware you use it with, what I/O method you use, and how you set it up, you might have things like multiple power supplies, custom harnesses, etc. Get a Capcom I/O if you want to simplify things a bit.

A JAMMA dreamcast is a hell of a lot simpler and considerably cheaper, but I personally enjoy arcade gaming for all the trappings of the arcade (inserting a credit, no menus, etc.), so I'd take a Naomi setup over a JAMMA-fied DC any day.

Make sure to get a Naomi 2 if your gonna start a setup.

The only reason to get a Naomi 2 is Virtua Fighter 4. There's only a dozen titles for Naomi 2 and most of them are racing games. So unless you REALLY like VF4 it's a bit pointless.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
nah, its messy and pointless. :make_fac:

only game I'd want it for would be CVS1 probably, and thats saying something

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Naomi 1: Just about any game worth half a damn has already been ported nicely to Dreamcast. Now with Ikaruga and MvsC2 being downloadable games, there's very little reason outside of CvsSNK2 in English to get it. It's a good reason, however.

Naomi 2: Virtua Fighter 4 and Evo have been ported, but they are still better on N2. Virtua Fighter Final Tuned has NEVER been ported, so those are the reason to get that system.

I really love the Naomi arcade hardware. Very cool system.

Spectre

Banned
Hmm, well there are some fairly cool Naomi titles, including a few underrated "hidden" gems like heavy metal, mobile suit gundam and canon spike. Personally I found a gd-rom setup fairly pointless, beyond CvS2 and to a much lesser extent Z3U. I dunno, maybe you're into all the Guilty Gear titles, but personally I wouldn't bother with a gd-rom setup unless you want CvS2 and wouldn't bother with a naomi 2 unless you want VF4.

A naomi 1 with capcom i/o is a reasonably neat and tidy setup and there are lots of playable titles to be had on rom board, some very cheaply. CvS, Powerstone, Virtua Tennis, MvC2, Project Justice, Dead or Alive 2, Giant Gram 2, Guilty Gear X.. hell even Spawn and Zombie Revenge are ok for the money.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
the main reasons that I am thinking about getting the Naomi are:

Project Justice (own on DC)
CvS (own on DC)
CvS2 (own on DC)
SF Zero 3U
Shikigami No Shiro

maybe a few others, but those are the top priority's .

Zero 3U is the only on that I can't pick up for the DC and I'm not sure it's worth all the fuss...

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
nah, just get it on cps2 , I know its not upper, but meh

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
nah, just get it on cps2 , I know its not upper, but meh

To my understanding, people like the CPS2 version the best anyhow... never liked Alpha 3 to understand (or care) as to why.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Regarding SFZ3U - yeah the CPS2 version is miles ahead of the Naomi version. Delly, Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper is actually a port of the Dreamcast version of Sfz3. From what I've heard and seen (but never played) its the exact same thing. Don't let the title fool you.

If you want the version of SF Zero 3 that has the correct mechanics of the CPS2 and the expanded cast of the Naomi version, you're going to want the Sega Saturn version.

Naomi - I have a cart set up and a couple dreamcasts. I think they're all worth it. I guess it depends how much you love Marvel. I really want a CVS2 set up, one of my all time faves, but I'm scared of those GD set ups.

A few things to take into consideration (that I didn't) : every time you switch carts it will reset your saves, like a cps2. so you'll prob want a dedicated marvel board unless you want to enter the codes every time. Also, for home use, the fan is NOISY. cps2 fans don't bother me anymore. It can be modded with a PC fan, but I'm too lazy for that.

If you play a shit ton of any of these still to this day:
Marvel
CVS
Virtua Fighter
Ikaruga

its worth it. otherwise, just to play this and that, its probably not.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
To my understanding, people like the CPS2 version the best anyhow... never liked Alpha 3 to understand (or care) as to why.

iirc, it has to do with the invincibility window on the custom combos. in every other alpha game (and cvs 2) you can you can use a cc as a sort of "parry" . not in upper though.

they also changed some of the juggle properties i think

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
Thanks for the info on the CPS2 and Naomi versions.

sounds like I should just stick to the CPS2.

I sure hope it's worth it. I just picked up a $150 cab with a 25' monitor and a Naomi system with the gd-rom. The guy sold it cheap because it had Sports Jam in it and he didn't think anyone would want it :)
Too bad all the good games are so expensive. I'd really like to get a copy of Ikaruga and MvC2

bendor

Fio's Quartermaster
I sure hope it's worth it. I just picked up a $150 cab with a 25' monitor and a Naomi system with the gd-rom. The guy sold it cheap because it had Sports Jam in it and he didn't think anyone would want it :)
Too bad all the good games are so expensive. I'd really like to get a copy of Ikaruga and MvC2

that's a great price

J69

Hardened Shock Trooper
My advice, get a cab with a 31kz screen, that way you can just use a DC VGA box and hack 2 pads. Picture is 10 times better than using a jamma adaptor and you dont have to mess about with dip switches for different games.

HOTD2 works too :mr_t:

Piccolo_DBz

Astra,
well if you ever think of getting a Naomi system check out my youtube channel. It will give you an idea on how to set it up.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
out of the blue I was offered this today...

$500

Naomi Motherboard
GD Drive
Dimm Board
I/O Board
Power Supply
Audio Amp
All Cables
CvS pro
CvS 2
GG XX

I don't really want GGXX, but it's a package deal......

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
if you break it up its worth that much, but as a package you can usually get it cheaper.

i dont regret getting into naomi.

ive got two mobos always set up. one for carts and one for gds.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
the main reasons that I am thinking about getting the Naomi are:

Project Justice (own on DC)
CvS (own on DC)
CvS2 (own on DC)
SF Zero 3U
Shikigami No Shiro

maybe a few others, but those are the top priority's .

Zero 3U is the only on that I can't pick up for the DC and I'm not sure it's worth all the fuss...

I do like the NAOMI system as well, but I already own an adapter (and have another one being made as we speak). The main reason I wanted the adapter in the first place was because I already own Ikaruga, Border Down and Project Justice on the DC.

Being able to use my VMUs on my cab is also nice feature.

If you own the games already, I'd stick with the adapter.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
bumping this thread, cause a bought a Naomi mobo with a Capcom I/O....

Anything I need to know about setting this up in a E2?

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
bumping this thread, cause a bought a Naomi mobo with a Capcom I/O....

Anything I need to know about setting this up in a E2?

Cool man, did you get a game with it? The Capcom I/O makes things nice and simple, should just be plug and play so long as your cab is wired for JAMMA.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
Cool man, did you get a game with it? The Capcom I/O makes things nice and simple, should just be plug and play so long as your cab is wired for JAMMA.

no game, just the set up. Looking to get Project justice ASAP!!!

Yeah both E2's are JAMMA.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
no game, just the set up. Looking to get Project justice ASAP!!!

Yeah both E2's are JAMMA.

Do either of your E2's have a Capcom kick harness? You'll need it for Project Justice. Good game, can be a little tough to find though.

TrAb

Crazed MVS Addict
Yeah i went threw these same questions just a while back and went with the dreamcast instead. Mainly because #1 i dont own a older non HD television anymore and the dreamcast looked like shit on those, but in my arcade it looks AWSOME. #2 its alot cheaper, and i can also plug in my controller when i want to and play resident evil and what not and also can save. O and i can also play my lightgun games on the dreamcast. O and do not get the jamma converter, get a VGA box and hack 2 controller for the buttons.