Naomi DIM board battery?

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
I was wondering if anyone knows if the rechargeable battery in the GD-ROM DIM board is needed to play a game. I have the battery but its only showing .9 volts on the meter.....even after extensive charging.

If I do need a working battery anyone know where I can get a working one?

Otherwise I think I have a bad DIM module...which would suck as I bought it off ebay for top dollar months ago and have no way to get it swapped out by the seller.

One more question...I read about the SCSI cable's length being inportant... i think I read 3 ft or less works... I have a 3ft cable, which makes the gdrom spin up and all...but I still get the "Error 01" when trying to play a disc

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Its not vital but covenant as every time you power up the game the data must load every single time into the sdram since the battery responsible for retaining the data is dead.

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
I see...so its just a flash memory battery backup... well thats good to know...I read the you have to replace them like every year or something..glad I wont be doing that.

So I guess I'm down to either the SCSI cable,

possibly an incorrect region chip (bought on-line, supposed to work with the GDrom...as my original chip definitely doesn't)

or, a bad DIM board... does anyone out there have some spare parts I could try out..mainly a chip or DIM board ? I would of course cover all shipping costs and throw in a little extra for the effort.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I see...so its just a flash memory battery backup... well thats good to know...I read the you have to replace them like every year or something..glad I wont be doing that.

So I guess I'm down to either the SCSI cable,

possibly an incorrect region chip (bought on-line, supposed to work with the GDrom...as my original chip definitely doesn't)

or, a bad DIM board... does anyone out there have some spare parts I could try out..mainly a chip or DIM board ? I would of course cover all shipping costs and throw in a little extra for the effort.

I had two neo members who like you could not get their gd rom setup going even after I ran them through common setup errors, in the end they both stopped by my place so I could visual show them their mistakes

Firstly and most importantly, you will need TWO power sources for this gd rom setup, yes even if you have a naomi 2 as cranking the power as many do with naomi 2 mobo will eventually destroy the capcom I/O.

What I/O are you using, capcom or sega? How exactly and I mean VIVIDLY is the power wiring for the mobo and gd rom drive. Are you using firmware that actually supports gdrom setup? Are you sure the connection is solid between the dimm board and mobo.

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
I had two neo members who like you could not get their gd rom setup going even after I ran them through common setup errors, in the end they both stopped by my place so I could visual show them their mistakes

Firstly and most importantly, you will need TWO power sources for this gd rom setup, yes even if you have a naomi 2 as cranking the power as many do with naomi 2 mobo will eventually destroy the capcom I/O.

What I/O are you using, capcom or sega? How exactly and I mean VIVIDLY is the power wiring for the mobo and gd rom drive. Are you using firmware that actually supports gdrom setup? Are you sure the connection is solid between the dimm board and mobo.

Well I will get a pic up in a few minutes for you... but I haven't changed anything wiring wise besides adding the power harness to the gdrom drive....and of course I added a SCSI cable. I do have two power supplies installed (as I will show you)... I have bought a new 300w supply just last week for the hell of it...havent used it yet though.

give me a few minuets and I will get some pics up..thanks

Konig

NAM-75 Vet

ok..the power supply in the first few pics is the spare I picked up and have not used.
As for my seating the DIM board, its def not the issue.
As I was saying about my bios chip....I ordered it off ebay, supposed to work with GD-ROM setups...my original chip def does not work for GD-ROMs according to my system manual.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Sorry got hung up for a few days. From what I can see from the pic or make out, the wiring looks ok. I'm going to be straight with you, I can recommend all types of trouble shooting info, but from experience a naomi setup with problems needs a hands on approach, you need to hook up with a member near you with a full setup to trouble shoot or mail your gd rom, dimm board and your scsi cable substitute off to someone you trust to let them test it.

BTW, the dimm board is making a connection with the mobo right and you are using the proper bios?

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
Sorry got hung up for a few days. From what I can see from the pic or make out, the wiring looks ok. I'm going to be straight with you, I can recommend all types of trouble shooting info, but from experience a naomi setup with problems needs a hands on approach, you need to hook up with a member near you with a full setup to trouble shoot or mail your gd rom, dimm board and your scsi cable substitute off to someone you trust to let them test it.

BTW, the dimm board is making a connection with the mobo right and you are using the proper bios?

I don't know anyone local to me that has any machines much less a Naomi setup... I think I'm going to try another bios chip...even though the one I bought on-line is supposed to work with GD-ROMS...my original chip doesn't work with GD-ROMS for sure... like I was saying, I have a feeling either I was sold a bad bios chip, or I was sold a bad dimm board.... or maybe both....who knows... they came from two different sources on-line.

The GD-ROM game discs I have are supposed to be usable for all regions even if I get a Japanese or American Bios, as long as the bios works with the disc drive it should be good to go. I may also try another SCSI cable for the hell of it... last resort would be to buy another dimm board since its the most expensive part in question by far.

If anyone reading this thread lives in the Tampa, New Port Richey , Holiday, or Tarpon springs area and can help a brother out please contact me.

thanks for looking over the pics