N64 questions

DJ Neo XL

Rugal's Thug
I'm thinking of getting a Nintendo 64, but had a few questions for those in the know.
The carts have batteries for saving progress right? Is it true the the N64 has a built in battery charger? Is there a website that has directions on how to replace the battery?

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
Those batteries take decades to wear out. I wouldn't be worried over that, if that's the only thing keeping you from buying one.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Also, while some games use battery-backed cartridges that save progress, some N64 games use memory cards. Some use both. The memory cards go into the slot in the controller.

I wouldn't worry about the save batteries dying out on you. My old Legend of Zelda for NES can still save files just fine.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
hahah.
decades?
you'll get bored of your 64 far before the battery life will die.

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
rarehero said:
hahah.
decades?
you'll get bored of your 64 far before the battery life will die.
I'm still playing Perfect Dark, dude. :D

slerch666

updyke,
Uhm... don't N64 games use EPROMS for saving games (assuming they even have a save game function)?

Rookies.

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
N64 got me into hardcore gaming, for that i thank it.

pick up Super mario 64, goldeneye, perfect dark, Zelda OOT & MM, Super smash bros, mariokart, Banjo Kazooie and tooie, and star wars racer. And a few memory cards and a rumble pak.

Garlic Butter

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
soulthug said:
N64 got me into hardcore gaming, for that i thank it.

pick up Super mario 64, goldeneye, perfect dark, Zelda OOT & MM, Super smash bros, mariokart, Banjo Kazooie and tooie, and star wars racer. And a few memory cards and a rumble pak.

Not meaning to be cruel, but the N64 isn't real a hardcore gamers console. Everyone knows what the good games are and everyone played them when they came out.

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
madmanjock said:
Not meaning to be cruel, but the N64 isn't real a hardcore gamers console. Everyone knows what the good games are and everyone played them when they came out.
Yup, but that is the reason i play games 3 or 4 hours a day.
But the N64 had NO 2d fighters, which is a shame. It did have fighters destiny, smash bros and AOF twin, which maybe makes up for it.

slerch666

updyke,
madmanjock said:
Except Sin and Punishment. It's one of the biggest reasons I still have my N64. Fucking fantastic game.

Good luck finding one on the cheap...

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I really liked Sin and Punishment myself. The best part is that the game is in English with JAPANESE subtitles!! Why it wasn't released here is beyond me. I still can't beat the part where you have to stop that missle from blowing up your mutated friend....

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon. They made it here in the US. Great game.

Jon

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I need to check out those goemon games for n64...bangaioh is also good.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
star soldier vanishing earth, and winback. two reasons to keep the N-64 around. such cool games.

DJ Neo XL

Rugal's Thug
I had a N64 when it came out back in the day but sold it. Now that I've gotten a little older I've been wanting to get some of the consoles that I sold over the years.
The games I really want are Mario 64, Starfox, F-Zero, Conker, Cruisn', Killer Instinct Gold, Ridge Racer and The Legend Of Zelda games.