N64 is 20 years old today!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Guys do you think the n64 was overrated?

it's hard to say. the good games were excellent and deserved all the praised they got. but as a console, especially compared to the ps1 and the saturn, there just wasn't enough on there. the n64 is the least genre friendly mainstream console of all time. so i guess it's how you look at it really. if you judge it by the quality of the games, then i would say no, it wasn't overrated because it has some of the best instalments of the best franchises out there. but when compared to the other consoles with their heavy rpg, racer, sports, horror, 2d and 3d fighters and arcade ports, the n64 was a piece of shit.

Last edited:

Speed3

Marked Wolf
image.jpg

When I saw the controller for the first time is was like

image.jpg

But for the time the graphics were impressive, now the fog is annoying at best.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Even though I'm not a fan of this console I did enjoy playing games like Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64, and Zelda Orcina of time, if I was Going to have a Nintendo system this would be the one to choose I guess, Not Really Sure.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I keep getting requests to do a "Launch of the Nintendo 64" episode, and I kinda don't want to do it.

As much as I enjoy your work Jibs, the world doesn't need another video on Youtube of a guy talking about the N64. Seriously, I think we're good.

On the other hand, it does provide you with an opportunity to have fun with it:

Haiku form:

"Super Mario.
Pilotwings was cool, I guess
No more games came out

<title card> FIN"

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
If only there was a place where we could contain all the great N64 threads here. I know, how about an N64 sub-forum? Plz PM Rot with your support k thx.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
If only there was a place where we could contain all the great N64 threads here. I know, how about an N64 sub-forum? Plz PM Rot with your support k thx.

could there be a non neo geo gaming sub forum? That would at least tidy up the unrelated topics

Tanooki

War Room Troll

Overrated by Nintendo fans, underrated in general. If you get away from the Nintendo fans you find it's either disliked, remembered for not being Playstation, or that you get the comment that Mario and Zelda were awesome and not much else is worth owning on it which really isn't fair. Sure the system wasn't a masterpiece, and 20 years worth of age hasn't helped any of the 1st gen 3D systems as they're sorta like 2600 level eye sores mostly, but there are dozens of really solid games on it if someone educates themselves on the 300~ games it had in the US. I've probably had 100 of the games over 20 years pass through my hands and I know I could easily pick 30 games which would be worth keeping if you were a fan of early 3D games worth giving a go (mind you some would be ports like Gauntlet and Hydro Thunder from Midway, but still.)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
could there be a non neo geo gaming sub forum? That would at least tidy up the unrelated topics

This is a wonderful idea. Just like there's an Arcade section, could easily be one for all other gaming. I have no idea why this hasn't been done already. I'm an admin on multiple forums and it's extremely easy to add a new section.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Don't like you? I wouldn't say that. I don't actually remember you from way back (not me being a dick, just was along time ago)... did you used to have a different name?

ResOGlas

We definitely didn't get along. Doesn't matter, we're all older and more chill now.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've always been with smokes on this one. I wasted my fucking time and money on this piece of shit to get it on launch day, when I could have bought a Playstation a year earlier.

All I wanted was arcade perfect Killer Instinct 1 and Cruisin' USA. KI was a no-show, and Crusin' sucked fucking donkey balls, the stripped down piece of shit.

And I don't know how many people remember the time around launch, but Mario 64 and Pilotwings were the only two games available for MONTHS after launch. It came out in August, I don't remember seeing any other games in stores until October-November. It was fucking shameful.

Fucking failure.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
It came out in August

The N64 came out in the USA in September.

They started rolling out kiosks in Toys R Us in the summer. They were turned off and just had the controllers hanging off of the kiosks, so you could get your hands on the controller. At least, that's how it was for me in NJ.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
And I don't know how many people remember the time around launch, but Mario 64 and Pilotwings were the only two games available for MONTHS after launch. It came out in August, I don't remember seeing any other games in stores until October-November. It was fucking shameful.

lol, I remember that. Even the Saturn was getting more games than the N64. :lolz:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Well, luckily Mario 64 was epic enough to keep most busy until more games were released. All console launch title selections are usually sub-par.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've always been with smokes on this one. I wasted my fucking time and money on this piece of shit to get it on launch day, when I could have bought a Playstation a year earlier.

All I wanted was arcade perfect Killer Instinct 1 and Cruisin' USA. KI was a no-show, and Crusin' sucked fucking donkey balls, the stripped down piece of shit.

Fucking failure.

Yeah...it was pitiful.

The official launch was Sept 29, 1996. Pilotwings and Mario were the only 2 available titles. The rest of 1996 looked like this:

MK Trilogy- Oct 31
Wave Race 64- Nov 1
Gretzky 3D hockey- Nov 11
KI Gold- Nov 25
Cruisn'n USA- Dec 3
SW: Shadows of the Empire- Dec 3

...and that was it. Besides a scant few acclaimed titles (like Mario Kart and Golden Eye), 1997 wasn't much better with only 34 games released that year in the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Nintendo_64_games

If somebody really wanted to get into the N64, the time to do it would have been Christmas season of 1998. The system would have been discounted a bit and there was a much better library of games out at that point.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member

That image sucks because it skips the Virtual Boy, it's a very crucial stepping stone between the SNES and N64.

vb.jpg

Not too different from SNES, has only two more buttons (the right d-pad is actually A,B,X,Y from the SNES) but clearly Nintendo is moving into specialized land. Having actually used one, it's a very comfortable controller, good buttons too.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The N64 came out in the USA in September.

They started rolling out kiosks in Toys R Us in the summer. They were turned off and just had the controllers hanging off of the kiosks, so you could get your hands on the controller. At least, that's how it was for me in NJ.

I could have sworn it was August, but maybe I was thinking of when I finally had enough money to get one, since my birthday is in August. Still...

...The rest of 1996 looked like this:

MK Trilogy- Oct 31
Wave Race 64- Nov 1
Gretzky 3D hockey- Nov 11
KI Gold- Nov 25
Cruisn'n USA- Dec 3
SW: Shadows of the Empire- Dec 3

Yep, pathetic as hell selection right there. I might have been fuzzy on the launch date, but I remember the months of no more games for the damn thing while I went back to playing my SNES, wishing I had bought a Playstation like my friends did, lol.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yep, pathetic as hell selection right there. I might have been fuzzy on the launch date, but I remember the months of no more games for the damn thing while I went back to playing my SNES, wishing I had bought a Playstation like my friends did, lol.

I'll admit that I somewhat enjoyed Shadows of the Empire. KI Gold and Cruisn' USA were two games I had super high hopes for but they were both total shit.

Either way...all of that was pointless to me as Final Fantasy VII was a Playstation exclusive. That alone buried the N64 in my mind.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'll admit that I somewhat enjoyed Shadows of the Empire. KI Gold and Cruisn' USA were two games I had super high hopes for but they were both total shit.

Either way...all of that was pointless to me as Final Fantasy VII was a Playstation exclusive. That alone buried the N64 in my mind.

I was fucking devastated when I heard FFVII was canceled for N64 and they were developing it for Playstation instead. I wasn't able to afford a Playstation until 1998 so I missed the hype. All my friends had played it to death by then and all I could do was watch. I don't know why I didn't sell the damn N64 earlier.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I was fucking devastated when I heard FFVII was canceled for N64 and they were developing it for Playstation instead. I wasn't able to afford a Playstation until 1998 so I missed the hype. All my friends had played it to death by then and all I could do was watch. I don't know why I didn't sell the damn N64 earlier.

What's funny is FF7 turned out to be weaksauce at the end of the day.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

I only had the coin for one console back then. Like I said earlier, I had purchased the N64 on launch (actually, K-Mart broke the street date and started selling them early, that's how I got mine). I kept the thing for one week, enough time for me to beat Mario 64, see that the upcoming games were total shit, and decide to return it.

I barely got in the door with the thing (being anal, I packaged it all back up all neat and tidy) when the lady stopped me at the counter and asked "Are you really returning that thing?" When I told her "Yup" she asked if anything was wrong with it. When I told her "nope" she looked through everything, turned to her manager and said "I'll take it". There I was all I was scared I would get a refund and it turned out to be the polar opposite.

I immediately walked back to electronics and picked up a PS1.

I'd play a N64 from time to time but wouldn't land up with another one until Paper Mario came out in early 2001. I picked up a used on on Ebay for cheap, still have it to this day.

What's funny is FF7 turned out to be weaksauce at the end of the day.

I enjoyed the shit out of FFVII. I didn't find it as good as VI, but that's not saying much, VI was a masterpiece at the time.

Now VIII...that's a different story, I didn't like it at all...

Last edited: