My Phantasy Star Universe thoughts

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I'm getting close to having 'A's across the pallette. I had 3 star luck yesterday and ground my 3 B ranks up to 3 or 4 a piece.

I finally discovered the 'solo De Ragan run' dynamic. Generally C. I can make 10,000 every 5 runs. So 50 runs = 100,000. Which can basically get me any weapon you find in the shops. I guess now I need to start picking up nine stars. It's some of the synthed stuff that goes for a mil that scares me.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Ah ok, what do you guys say to an NG.com get-together this weekend (or next week) ?

If we are talking this weekend, I can be on most anytime. I would generally be sleeping between 3-4 am PST and 10-11 am PST.

I am going for lvl 3 Protrancer so I can use my Laser Cannon and possibly a grenade launcher. I currently have 2 A lvl bows, a B lvl set of gloves, an 8* saber and a few others.

I have given up but not sold most of my A lvl fighgunner weapons. I miss my Bulletmasters, 7* crossbow and 8* dagger.

I also realised that by doing A runs and picking up mucho De Ragan tails, you can wait for your 3* luck days and synth the DeRagan statue which you can sell for 40k plus. Mine was on sale for 1/2 an hour before it was snapped up.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I'm on right now and will be on for a long time tonight. I got my PM up to level 80 and it became a little Ranger thing with a hat.

Hit me up!

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
neobuyer said:
I also realised that by doing A runs and picking up mucho De Ragan tails, you can wait for your 3* luck days and synth the DeRagan statue which you can sell for 40k plus. Mine was on sale for 1/2 an hour before it was snapped up.

Very nice. I'm glad you're that lucky. I have yet to receive 1 single De Ragan tail Drop since I started playing the game, at launch.

On the other hand, I recently got the Twin MayaLee Ultimate Bullet Art for the Twin Pistols. All I can say, it is completely and utterly worth the 60 PA fragments. It's good enough to alter my Guntecher combat strategy around them.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Kirk Foiden said:
Very nice. I'm glad you're that lucky. I have yet to receive 1 single De Ragan tail Drop since I started playing the game, at launch.

On the other hand, I recently got the Twin MayaLee Ultimate Bullet Art for the Twin Pistols. All I can say, it is completely and utterly worth the 60 PA fragments. It's good enough to alter my Guntecher combat strategy around them.

I don't think I have seen that one yet. How 'different' do the shots look (if at all)?

I am working my way to (I think) the shotgun ult. PA. Anyone here familiar with that one? I just found out how/where to get them, and since I'm protrancin' I think I need either the shotgun, bow or fists.

Oh, and big thanks to Magician and Temjin for slumming it with me last night.

Oh and speaking of Protrancers, I am really noticing a lack of trap use by my fellow PTs (Me too though). It's very expensive to buy the G traps, and it can be frustrating. I have heard a few guys with the philosophy that they will be more than happy to set mucho traps, but only if the party chips in for them. I can understand that, but I wonder if it's worth it?

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
The shots themselves don't have a different look. The Shots have no Element, so they are green. However, that doesn't matter. It's not the look, but the function. If the attack lands for any damage (more than 0, since 0 is a monster successful evade), the Defense Down Status effect will engage. Seems, so far, to work on everybody except actual Bosses (that have a Boss intro). Take note, that makes this Bullet the only Twin Handgun Bullet that can affect such a wide range of monsters. It also has it's own rules. It basically hits with a Level 1 Zalure for the first 10 levels of the bullet, Level 2 Zalure for the 2nd 10, and Level 3 Zalure (the current highest form of Zalure) for the Level 3 SE it gets at level 21 bullets.

You actually saw it last night, with Magician, Temjin, and myself. Most of those monsters that had the Defense down animation on them, were caused by Twin MayaLee from my Twin Handguns.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
It would be. A combination of his luck and his long playtime, in this game. He's pretty far in the rare-hunting game.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
RBjakeSpecial said:
Magician- Your room is amazing! Holy shit.

Thank you. It only costed me 1.8 million meseta. I'm glad I don't have to worry about room decors for awhile.

Anyway, I'm just revamping my weapon palette, again. Going all spears since, to me, it's the hunter's best friend. Quick, crowd controling photon art, good accuracy and very good damage. I figure I'm gonna dump everything else in favor of nothing but spears. Not a good character design for melee resistant enemies and flying creatures, but that's what parties are for. The need for hunters seems to have lessened lately, but I have a feeling that by endgame, us meatshields will be wanted more as our DFP rises to a point were melee damage is negligible.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Ah, this game giveth and it taketh away! Still the only game I'm playing at all now though. I have too much invested in it damnit :)

I think my biggest problem is that I don't have a regular, semi-scheduled party to run with. So I usually end up having to choose between glomming onto parties for PA frags (generally joining in around halfway through the first run and getting a B) or doing endless, solo runs for meseta and supplies. And now I finally got off my ass and am actively building up my PM/GH, which has eaten (literally) so much of my supplies.

I have just got my first UPA, the shotgun one, and am wondering if I should have taken the extra week to have made 90 and picked up the laser cannon UPA. I won't know if it's smart until I level up the shottie proper. Speaking of shotguns, I have taken a real liking to the 7-8* models and use them in favor of the bow now. I am almost ready to drop my 7* bow, but I think I should hang on a bit more. It's slow, yet it's not satisfying like the heavy support weps my protrancer can now use. The grenade launcher is my favorite weapon in the game now. It's like shooting freethrows or something. Now I have the support weps, I actually find myself (!) thinking during combat, not just mindlessley hacking/blasting away. The launcher has some unique play mechanics too, like being able to fire from/to low and high ground, and being able to bank your explosions off walls to smash your enemies.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
You'll probably want to keep the bow because it does share a few special properties with the Rifle. Those are basically, the main weapons that have both the reach and the special knock-down property for flying creatures. For bosses, there are certain ones that can only be knocked-down with guns with reach.

Handguns, Twin Handguns, Bows, and Rifles fall into this category. Which also happen to be able to zoom to first-person targetting mode. So it does pay to carry around your highest damaging anti-air weapon, with you.

At the moment, outside of one small crazy St. Patrick's day outfit acquisition, (Much of that outfit will probably go to Mufonna as soon as possible) I'm completely saving up for the best armor I can get my hands on. It'll take a bit, but I'm confident I'll run into some big money-making times ahead.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
OK Kirk, I have to know- what ended up being the benefit of the St. Patty's day thing? I wore green, although I only put in about 1.5 hours of play yesterday.

Did anything happen? I have saw nothing!

I heard that "mods were giving out gifts" on Neudaiz and that people had "mad luck" but it's all rumours.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I'm not sure, myself. It could be something like that, where you might run into somebody that gives you something. I also had a green ensemble (for only that day, as I had to ditch my character's regular hair color for it.) but I didn't see anything special. Well... The pso-world forum group did throw a St. Patty's Day Party in Parum (waterfall, and then Gawik's pub in Moatoob), so there was a lot of craziness there. I did some missions real early, that day, and then I attended the celebration for about an hour that night.

Magician

20 Year Member
Well, I said goodbye to my 50% Dark Gudda Gants a couple days ago. Someone put their Tero/Guard up for sale for 3.5 million. I managed to catch the seller in his store (must have just put it up), I offered him the knuckles outright, he said nay wanting nothing but straight meseta. So I said alright, hold that thought, I have a few friends with deep pockets, let me see if they're on. Sure enough, my main 50% lovah Reckanize was available, he had previously offered 2 million for my knuckles.

I asked him if he had 2.6 million for the knuckles he said no, and that he had only 2.2 million meseta on hand. Knowing he had that much I asked the seller of the Tero/Guard if he'd drop the price to 3.1 million (I'm sweating as would-be buyers are running in and out of his store drooling over this thing), he agreed. So I sell the knuckles for 2.2 million and spend all my savings on the vastly rare Tero/Guard. Money well spent, as this item can only be had by the desert terror boss box on s rank, a run many hate to do at the moment.

Tero/Guard is a body unit that reduces melee damage by 20 points, a blessing for a hunter like myself. Now my armor and units are cream of the crop, can't get any better, at least...until new stuffage is released. Now, back to making better %s on my weapons. I love this game.

Magician

20 Year Member
Wooooohooooo.

Well, 825hrs in and I've decide to shelf my fortefighter seeing as I have all that I want for him at this moment. I will not be using him again until newer ideal equipment is released (i.e. - s rank weapons, armor, units, new clothes, etc), or if by request from the usual folk I party with. Until that time I will be rolling with my first alt, a ranger/fortegunner. The experience with my first character has taught me well, 25hrs into my first alt and my weapons are already at their optimum and my armor/units are as good as they can be given requirement restraints.

Now comes the grind to level his job class to that of a fortegunner so that I can use A rank goodies, which'll probably take several hours of grinding. Lets see, I just hit level 5 ranger, so to make ranger 10 will take about another 700 or so mission points. 8 mission points a run, 15 minutes a run, 32 mission points an hour, 22-25hrs should put me at a fortegunner. Then the problem of obtaining a Giga Bullet PP Save and a Tero/Legs will come into play, but until then...let the fun continue.

I love this game...

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
No PSU love since April 4th! My god, it's been too long, let's get some PSU action going on.

I quit playing for a month cause I just got sick of the repititive gameplay.

I fired it up today and did some runs with random folks and had a blast. I got a Tails stature to sell... and my A rank kind of lame twin swords are doing alright. I think I'm going to get back into playing PSU but a bit more casually.

Before I was spending 5-6 hours online whenever I played and it kind of killed the game for me. A good 2 hour session is perfect.

Looks like I'm 10 levels away from being able to do S rank missions and receive some cool stuff, so I'm going to stick with it.

sorry for the random rambiling post...

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Magician said:
Well, 825hrs in

WTF? Stop right there. What, do you think, you could have done in real life in those 825 hours? That's a LOT of bleepin hours to be doing anything. Christ!

Magician

20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
WTF? Stop right there. What, do you think, you could have done in real life in those 825 hours? That's a LOT of bleepin hours to be doing anything. Christ!

Compared to several others from the pso-world forums, I have a life. Compared to my time spent on characters: 1 - 930hrs, 2 - 95 hrs, 3 - 10hrs, there are many folks over there with over 2500 hours on just one character. Riddle me this, WTF could those folks have done with those 2500+ hours?

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Kirk looks at Magician's hours, then looks at his own in PSO.

He's played a lot. But he's got a bit to go to match my PSO hours.

Of course, if I combined my current PSU hours to my PSO hours (not to mention, I've beaten offline mode, twice and put some time into Extra Mode, on two different systems (PC/360)). I have absolutely nothing to comment on.

Then again, if anybody else, on this site, has been a KOF nut like myself. Each individual could easily top 1000+ hours on KOF alone. I know I had to have passed that amount, years ago.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Magician said:
Compared to several others from the pso-world forums, I have a life. Compared to my time spent on characters: 1 - 930hrs, 2 - 95 hrs, 3 - 10hrs, there are many folks over there with over 2500 hours on just one character. Riddle me this, WTF could those folks have done with those 2500+ hours?

After you get to a certain level, pathetic is still pathetic. Think of all the money you could have made at a job. All the work you could have done on your physical wellness/working out. All the things around the house that could have been done. Hey, I play the shit out of games, but that's extreme right there. Especially for one that's so poor. :p

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Kirk Foiden said:
Then again, if anybody else, on this site, has been a KOF nut like myself. Each individual could easily top 1000+ hours on KOF alone. I know I had to have passed that amount, years ago.

I guess this is very true. All the hours/days/weeks and even months I've spent playing fighting games.... gone. All gone. But what fun I've had! I guess it's just sad when there's a little timer right there looking you in the face showing how much of your life you wasted.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Anyone still playing this game? I'm on the ps2 and just started.

I go by, K' Dash

Magician

20 Year Member
Slowing down since there's little I'm interested in hunting for right now.

What I want...
Giga Skill PP Save (0/72 on rappy spawns)
250+ PA frags needed
Meteor Cannon
3x Blackbull
6x Halarod

...I'm in no real rush to get any of those except the skill save (which I've been hunting for since february) so that I can trade it for a bullet save. I'll be back in action once 10* spear boards are a drop, until then I have other games to catch up on.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
greedostick said:
Anyone still playing this game? I'm on the ps2 and just started.

I go by, K' Dash

I play it every week. I used to play every day.. but after a couple hundred hours the tasks get a bit repetitive.

Check out the phantasy star websites and faqs and stuff to make a character that you'll enjoy. It's really a great game.

I hope that someday the PS2 and Xbox servers are combined so we can play together!

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I have to copy Magician in saying 'I love this game'.

I had some issues with my PSU membership- and while I waited for it to go through I got into story mode. I had a blast. It's SOOOO easy in comparison to online.

Online I'm FF 10, PT 10, FG 5, FG 4, GT 4

Being human- despite the jealously of SUVs and Omega Blasts, is cool.